Sponsored

JLRU Manual T Forced Induction Experience (ProCharger supercharger)

jalbrecht55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJR
Could you elaborate on the “The install requieres more investment” area? I’m curious because I would like to run a supercharger with the manual transmission specifically. Thanks
Sponsored

OP
OP
Torero

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Could you elaborate on the “The install requieres more investment” area? I’m curious because I would like to run a supercharger with the manual transmission specifically. Thanks
The Procharger is a relatively straight forward install. They relocate the alternator to the left of the engine and place SC where the alternator was, then all they add is a longer belt. The longer belt with the extra load and the stock tensioner didn’t work. If you read my previous posts the issue was not able to keep the belt in place when shifting under hard acceleration. The automatic doesn’t have that problem because the rpm don’t drop. But the sudden deacceleration when shifting a manual transmission requires either a stronger belt tensioner or to run the SC on a dedicated belt. The last is probably the most expensive solution, but the best in my opinion.

Bionicrooster

Threads
Reaction score
Sorry it didn't work out, but excellent and very fair (and patient) review overall. many thanks for sharing. Time for a Hemi swap :)

LUV2JEEP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 F150 XLT
I'd send you a PM, but "start conversation" button for some reason doesn't appear. I am wanting to do a Magnuson supercharger on my 3.6 automatic. I'm just scared to death of cratering the engine/transmission. What are your thoughts on reliabilty and longevity of these 3.6 Pentastar motors with forced induction? I know Litebrite had serious issues with Prodigy and ended up ruining their 3.6 so they went with a 6.4 Hemi. I don't have $35k so a $6k turbo/supercharger sounds tempting.

OP
OP
Torero

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd send you a PM, but "start conversation" button for some reason doesn't appear. I am wanting to do a Magnuson supercharger on my 3.6 automatic. I'm just scared to death of cratering the engine/transmission. What are your thoughts on reliabilty and longevity of these 3.6 Pentastar motors with forced induction? I know Litebrite had serious issues with Prodigy and ended up ruining their 3.6 so they went with a 6.4 Hemi. I don't have $35k so a $6k turbo/supercharger sounds tempting.
Hello. As long as limited to 6-8 psi there is no harm. The engine can take it with no issues. The fact if the matter is that you are there for literally seconds at the time. It is irrelevant on the life of the engine. Anything higher that that can create immediate damage.
On the other hand, it is a big investment and the novelty wears out quickly.

Sponsored

LUV2JEEP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 F150 XLT
Hello. As long as limited to 6-8 psi there is no harm. The engine can take it with no issues. The fact if the matter is that you are there for literally seconds at the time. It is irrelevant on the life of the engine. Anything higher that that can create immediate damage.
On the other hand, it is a big investment and the novelty wears out quickly.
Thanks for the quick response!!! So you don't miss the extra horsepower?

OP
OP
Torero

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Very rarely did I make use of it, so it is in rare occasion that I miss it.

OP
OP
Torero

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree with your assessment. A dedicated belt would be ideal.

r75usmc

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Hella Yella
Do you think that other implementations of forced air might avoid some of the issues you encountered? I'm specifically thinking of Magnusson but I don't know how they differ.

OP
OP
Torero

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you think that other implementations of forced air might avoid some of the issues you encountered? I'm specifically thinking of Magnusson but I don't know how they differ.
Is yours a manual transmission? If they use a single belt for the whole thing, without any upgraded tensioner, I think it will have the same problem with manual transmission.

Sponsored

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
thread Answers my question....

USAFREODRetired

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
It's 2024, and I recently asked ProCharger if they had 'solved' the Manual Transmission problem, which has been illustrated here in great detail.

The answer I got went to great lengths to avoid answering my question, so from that perspective, I wouldn't trust them.

Too bad...
Sponsored