First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (BROKE BEAST) 37s/4.5in lift
Occupation
The one that pays for the Jeep mods and occasionally the bills 😉
I live on Oahu. I have a 4in lift with 37s. Because most of the parking in Honolulu is in a parking garage with 6ft 3in height limit, I have to take another vehicle to go downtown. My Jeep is 6ft 7in. In my opinion I would leave the Jeep in Maui and put it on Turo and have the Jeep pay for itself while you aren’t in Hawaii. The rental market for Turo is fantastic. If transporting the Jeep is a must. I wouldnt get a lift and 37s. Welcome to Paradise. Also keep in mind everything cost more here so lift install of the mainland might be $1000. Here in Hawaii, it’s could cost $2,500 or more. So getting a lift kit on the mainland and installing it in Hawaii is lot of money. Just my opinion.
Sponsored

OP
OP
J0E

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
So getting a lift kit on the mainland and installing it in Hawaii is lot of money.
Aloha,
I'm not new to Maui, just new to JLR's. IMI is the new kid on the block, opened in 2003. Maui off road about: Maui Off Road Center opened its first location on Maui in 1982 and the second location on Oahu in 1986.

They're more than the mainland but still reasonable. I'll have northridge4x4 figure out how to keep it 75". I might have to trade the factory tires for 27" or smaller the for shipment.

I've shipped cars before, but never came close to the 75" limit.

I'll eventually take it to the Big Island but probably stop in Oahu for wheeling since there are no direct Maui to Big Island shipping.

The dealer here uses IMI. He offered to have IMI put 37's/lift on any Rubicon, but wouldn't budge on the price of MSRP + 4K.

BTW, I'm picking the JLR up on the mainland and wheeling all summer.

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ok. Cool cool. Send me message if you come to Oahu. We can go to the flats.

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
Skip the factory size tires altogether. They're only for shipping.

Get a set of 225/65R17 cheapies mounted for transport only. Safer and more reliable that trying to put a spring compressor on for transport. (Ever watched a video of cars being loaded onto a vessel for shipping? Lots of steep ramps, and bumps, and longshoremen driving them fast to get them loaded in a hurry.)

With a diameter of 28.5" - that'll take 2" off your ride height, compared to stock Rubicon 33s.

https://www.americastire.com/buy-tires/sentury-crossover/p/29243

Then keep a set of 37s in the garage at both locations.

EDIT - PS: you should probably find some comparable load range C tires.

Last edited:

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
That's for shipping over 75" which is 3x the cost of 75" shipping. I'll ship at 75" and it's only $3K/year both directions. I have a home in both locations so no storage, but not interested in an old used Rubicon.
Cool, I understand that.

Sponsored

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
Sounds like 3 sets of tires is your best bet. I wouldn’t do the spring compressors. Another option not mentioned is air ride. There’s one company that makes it, but I think it is around $7,000. Sounds like too much money to me. But, if the second set of tire and wheels cost $4,000, then that’s only $3,000 more, and it’s then simply pushing a button to lower It. I’ve built 2 off road rigs with air ride and I would have it on every vehicle if I could.

Side note, I will be in Oahu for 10 days in June and renting a Jeep. Can you suggest any places for me to take it???

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
ORI shocks would work good.

Reactions: J0E

Sponsored

OP
OP
J0E

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
Massive thanks for all the good ideas.

Side note, I will be in Oahu for 10 days in June and renting a Jeep. Can you suggest any places for me to take it???
@jumpmaster82173 can you help out? I haven't wheeled on Oahu. BTW, Maui, and I assume the rest of islands, rent JLURs. Probably 10% of the wranglers are JLURs. You can't reserve them, it's just the luck of what's on the lot. Lots of rental JTs, but no JTRs yet.

Have you looked at car rental prices in Hawaii? It's like $400/day and getting worse.

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Massive thanks for all the good ideas.

@jumpmaster82173 can you help out? I haven't wheeled on Oahu. BTW, Maui, and I assume the rest of islands, rent JLURs. Probably 10% of the wranglers are JLURs. You can't reserve them, it's just the luck of what's on the lot. Lots of rental JTs, but no JTRs yet.

Have you looked at car rental prices in Hawaii? It's like $400/day and getting worse.
So the issue is that during the height of the pandemic a lot of rental places sent their cars back to the mainland to make money since Hawaii was on lockdown longer than most states.
So there is a shortage of all rentals on the island. This is why Turo is making a killing. This summer more rentals should be coming back to the island. We shall see.

so to answer your question. It’s iffy at minimum. You get what they got, lol.

To be honest most rentals are just JLU. Most people that I’ve seen(a lot of rental jeeps here) Don’t have the JLUR because rental prices isn’t something most people want to pay in addition to their vacation funding.

To the person coming here in June. There are three trails. One is called Peacock flats. It’s the most popular. You will need to pay the fee online. It’s $2.50. Medium to hard terrain. I’ve seen rentals up there. It’s also a camp ground as well.
The other is kaena point. You will need a pass for that as well but if you go with someone that has a pass you will be fine. Easy terrain. On the beach so people grill, swim, and just enjoy the sunset.

The other is ok. Haven’t done it yet but will shortly.

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
If you get a second jeep in hawaii.. then you get to have a second jeep and build it twice and try different things lol

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
Thanks for the info guys! We booked and paid for our rental about six months ago so we’re hoping everything goes smooth with that. If it doesn’t Turo is our back up plan.

Reactions: J0E

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
The spring install isn't that difficult when you unbolt one end of the shocks. You could probably swap springs to get your ride height way down, possibly even on a set of chopped stock springs off your local free listing service. I'd guess the work would be maybe an hour on each end, especially after the first couple times.

Lift springs will only run you about $400-500 per set if you wanted a set in each location, or about the cost of a single beadlock wheel.
Sponsored