Sponsored

JL Wrangler vs New Ford Bronco

Cam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In between Wranglers right now
Word is Ford has bench marked the JKU Rubicon for the Bronco. It'll be VERY interesting if they can compete on performance AND looks AND price.
If it looks like these, maybe it has a chance.

2020-Ford-Bronco-B6G-8.jpg

copatroller.jpg

But if it looks like this, no chance.

Ford-Everest.jpg
Sponsored

CorpCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Sorry but the Troller is such a Wrangler wannabe. If the Bronco came out styled like the Troller it'd look it was trying too hard to be a Wrangler. Better if they give it a more modern take on the classic Bronco styling like that first image.

Otto

First Name
Otto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sport (JK)
Sorry but the Troller is such a Wrangler wannabe. If the Bronco came out styled like the Troller it'd look it was trying too hard to be a Wrangler. Better if they give it a more modern take on the classic Bronco styling like that first image.
If the Bronco looks like any of those three it will be DOA. Period.

The 2004 Bronco Concept might be the direction they go. Fresher design than any of those above even though it's 12 years old.

ford-bronco-concept-23.jpg

Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
The 2004 Bronco Concept might be the direction they go. Fresher design than any of those above even though it's 12 years old.
I sure hope so as thats by far my favorite

ModdedJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Modded JK
Clubs

Ford must be kicking themselves for not bringing that to market and just watching from the sidelines as Wrangler sales keep booming. I hope they really bring it back tho, competition is good for us all and prices are getting a little out of control.

Joe Camel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Charger, Planning for JLU
Ford must be kicking themselves for not bringing that to market and just watching from the sidelines as Wrangler sales keep booming. I hope they really bring it back tho, competition is good for us all and prices are getting a little out of control.
Not like Ford is going to go all charity and undercut the Wrangler by thousands. I'm guessing they're just gonna price the Bronco to be competitive with the Wrangler - right around the same price ballpark. When it comes to cars I'm cynical and expect more competition to improve the car's capabilities and packaging but rarely helps with pricing.

ModdedJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Modded JK
Clubs

Not like Ford is going to go all charity and undercut the Wrangler by thousands. I'm guessing they're just gonna price the Bronco to be competitive with the Wrangler - right around the same price ballpark. When it comes to cars I'm cynical and expect more competition to improve the car's capabilities and packaging but rarely helps with pricing.
It doesn't need to. As long as they keep pricing the same or slightly below it will put pressure on FCA to keep a lid on the price creep. The Bronco name carries a lot of weight on its own and can easily steal some sales from the JL.

Cam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In between Wranglers right now
Bringing back the Bronco on the global Ranger platform is a decent foundation but it still won't have the out of the box off-road capability of the Wrangler. And that starts with suspension, its just not possible for independent suspension to be as good as solid axle. So off the bat the Bronco will be disadvantaged.

Sponsored

Jelly Belly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4
Bringing back the Bronco on the global Ranger platform is a decent foundation but it still won't have the out of the box off-road capability of the Wrangler. And that starts with suspension, its just not possible for independent suspension to be as good as solid axle. So off the bat the Bronco will be disadvantaged.
That may be technically true but also pretty meaningless for 99% of buyers, save for the comparisons on paper.

The truth is you can wheel IFS pretty damn hard before you max out it's capabilities. With the appropriate techniques, line choices, etc. you can not only "get by" with this technology but enjoy the superior behavior in non-rock-crawl situations the other 90% of the time. Very few people take their rigs to the "limits" imposed by an independent suspension. For that matter, few take their solid axle 4x4's anywhere close to those limits either.

I owned a Toyota FJ in another life and although I was close to ponying up for a solid axle swap I never bothered. I've run in groups with SAS Tacomas and 4runners as well as Jeeps, along with a variety of IFS rigs. For all but those trails which required the trailered tube-frame beasts with 38" beadlocked wheels, the entire crew of us were able to get through by hook or by crook. Even where there was breakage, it wasn't exclusively a problem for IFS. In fact, breakage seems to be more probable when more modifications have been performed.

That said I fully expect the Bronco will have a capable IFS that will perform admirably in all but the most challenging rock crawling situations. It'll also be more comfortable and suited for roads much like the FJ before it.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
A Raptor SVT version of a Bronco redeux could really kick ass. (I know I'm repeating myself)

Shawn Ash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
I'm rooting for the Broncos success but I think how much it succeeds or fails depends on how much guts Ford has to truly go after the Wrangler using the same formula with removable top, solid axle and mod ability being most important parts of the formula IMO.

If they go after the fattest profit margins at the luxury end and put out a Sahara Wrangler with the top welded and independent suspension it'll have same fate as the Hummer.

If they do that they better also have a stripped down entry level priced model to help support its sales. This would also be a good way to bring in fresh blood to the brand and model since anyone who can really remember the Bronco is now at least in their late 30's and 40's.

OP
OP
JoKer

JoKer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Wrangler Sport
Bronco SVT would be incredible, although without any HiPO one to compete against we may not see it. It'd be great if it created more offerings on the top end.. something like a Wrangler SRT8. Drool....

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Last month, the long-awaited return of the Ford Bronco and Ranger was confirmed, sending shockwaves through the car internet. Since the Bronco and Ranger will share a platform, it sounds a lot like the throwback SUV will be developed in Australia, which is where the current Ranger is engineered.

Australia's Motoring reports that Ford Australia will lead development of the new Bronco and Ranger, despite the fact that the Bronco will be built in the U.S. The current-generation Ranger, which isn't sold in the U.S., was developed by Ford Australia, and is built in Thailand, South America, and Argentina.

The new Bronco will be a direct rival to the wildly-popular Jeep Wrangler, so Ford reportedly purchased two- and four-door Wrangler Rubicons for benchmarking purposes. Motoring expects the new Bronco will use a shortened version of the Ranger's platform, and mechanically, the two will be quite similar.

Currently, the Ranger uses four- and five-cylinder diesels, which are expected to be carried over, but Motoring predicts the U.S.-market Bronco will get a gas-powered V6. Our pals at Car and Driver also predict the Ranger will get an EcoBoost four-cylinder as an option, so expect that in the Bronco as well. The Bronco's engines will be mated to a low-range transfer case and a choice of manual or automatic transmissions. We're praying the manual comes to the U.S.

The Bronco is expected to arrive around 2019, possibly for the 2020 model year, and for Ford it can't come soon enough. Considering Jeep will have a new Wrangler next year, with a pickup version soon to follow, Ford needs to get the Bronco and Ranger to market.

Ford and Jeep might be fighting each other here, but since we're getting a host of retro off-roaders, we're the real winners here.
Source: http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/news/a31515/new-ford-bronco-australia/
Sponsored