Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I’d be curious what the average conquest % is for a new vehicle. 60% sounds extremely high to me.

Also if Ford keeps this up, even the sport selling 100k+ units per year is going to be a cash cow for them. I already am seeing them all over the place, they clearly knocked it out of the park for this segment.
6EE80C5C-271B-42ED-B7E0-6FC76715A78B.jpeg
What Mike Levine conveniently leaves out is that while Bronco Sport sales grew in Q1, Escape sales shrunk —most of Escape’s competitors posted double digit gains.

No doubt Bronco Sport is attracting new customers, but it is also cannibalizing Escape sales.
Sponsored

Last edited:

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
Surely I'm not the only person who has actually cross-shopped Wranglers and Crosstreks?

1620072407083.png
I had to google what that was, and I think you should consider checking out the granola of the month club.. seems like it might be up your alley :)

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2021 JLURe (coming soon)
I had to google what that was, and I think you should consider checking out the granola of the month club.. seems like it might be up your alley :)
You had to google what a Crosstrek is? Or are you saying you've never seen Arrested Development?

I'm not sure which would be worse 😂

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
That’s what you’re not getting. Bronco and Wrangler buyers aren’t from the same pool. Just like Raptor/PowerWagon buyers aren’t. There’s some crossover because both are off road capable, and both will get you to the campsite, but they don’t compete beyond that. Just look at the body shape of the Bronco. It looks cool, but trail visibility is going to be horrid.
I slightly disagree. When you are talking about the extreme capability of a wrangler on a quality lift and oversized tires, no question about it.

But when talking about a Rubicon, or a slightly modified wrangler. Those of us doing classic trails, challenging, fun, yet not extreme. The Bronco is another choice. Then theres also the "offroad campers" commonly called "overlanders" going over terrain that can get tricky sometimes, the Bronco could actually be much better than a wrangler, with its higher payload capacity, easiness of roof rack, and towing capabilities.

Theyll be hand to hand competing vehicles for the majority of people.

Would I buy a Bronco? I doubt it. It is ugly and it is still not a jeep. Bronco doesnt fit me, but it does fit other people. Just being realistic and thinking outside of my bubble. It is all speculation anyway, this Bronco is taking way too long to come out. Something seems fishy. IFS I am looking at you lol.

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
I don’t like it, they copied Jeep.
I don’t like it, it’s ugly.
I don’t like it, the roof has been cut off.
I don’t like it, it won’t have a following like Jeep.
I don’t like it, it has too much tech.
I don’t like it, it comes with a turbo.....
I don’t like it, it does not have sfa.
I don’t like it, I can go everywhere an oem Rubicon can go.
I don’t like it, they copied Jeep.....

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I don’t like it, it’s ugly.
I don’t like it, the roof has been cut off.
I don’t like it, it won’t have a following like Jeep.
I don’t like it, it does not have sfa.
I don’t like it, I can go everywhere an oem Rubicon can go.
I don’t like it, they copied Jeep.....
So what? not allowed to not like the new Bronco?.
- I dont like it is ugly and not a jeep. This is 100% personal.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
How so? Is it the pinched off nose and grill the jeep has but the Bronco does not?
Is it the squared off hardtop the JK/JL have? Is the tire on the back, or just the basic size?
You do realize everything design wise thats on the Bronco was on the original Bronco. How is that copying the Jeep?
Or maybe you're saying Ford copied Jeep in the 60's?
44A12011-9D77-41E3-B79B-D317C9ECD8B7.jpeg
E103F91C-554A-471B-9C9C-4D3F7D8527F4.jpeg
09D0CFB2-F0FD-4DEA-BBEA-6F86BF346F63.jpeg
C2943112-6827-44AC-845F-236EF962E3BD.jpeg
F05F801D-4FAD-4C62-ADBE-93B2DF636F1F.jpeg
21F91F1B-05CE-48C0-969E-5451DBFF52B3.jpeg
What i mean is every freakin inch references the Wrangler.
How so? Is it the pinched off nose and grill the jeep has but the Bronco does not?
Is it the squared off hardtop the JK/JL have? Is the tire on the back, or just the basic size?
You do realize everything design wise thats on the Bronco was on the original Bronco. How is that copying the Jeep?
Or maybe you're saying Ford copied Jeep in the 60's?
44A12011-9D77-41E3-B79B-D317C9ECD8B7.jpeg
E103F91C-554A-471B-9C9C-4D3F7D8527F4.jpeg
09D0CFB2-F0FD-4DEA-BBEA-6F86BF346F63.jpeg
C2943112-6827-44AC-845F-236EF962E3BD.jpeg
F05F801D-4FAD-4C62-ADBE-93B2DF636F1F.jpeg
21F91F1B-05CE-48C0-969E-5451DBFF52B3.jpeg
Well let's start with the tailgate. Original Bronco - fold down tailgate with a horizontal handle in the middle, so even aftermarket tire carriers are offset to the passenger side. New Bronco - vertical handle on the drivers side, swing out tailgate with rear tire mounted in the center.

That's just one example. The door switches on the center console. The aux switches. The modular steel bumper. The black plastic fenders that get upgraded to painted molded fenders when you go to the "Sahara" trim. The black hardtop that gets upgraded to the colored hardtop. The soft top is basically identical including sunrider mode. The sway bar disconnect. I could go on and on. It like every inch is either "this is like a Wrangler" or "this is intentionally different/better" than the Wrangler.

It's not that big a deal. Full-size trucks are the same way. But you can't tell me their reference point wasn't the Wrangler. Too many coincidences. To me, it came off as "why wouldn't I just get the real thing?"

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I’d be curious what the average conquest % is for a new vehicle. 60% sounds extremely high to me.

Also if Ford keeps this up, even the sport selling 100k+ units per year is going to be a cash cow for them. I already am seeing them all over the place, they clearly knocked it out of the park for this segment.
6EE80C5C-271B-42ED-B7E0-6FC76715A78B.jpeg
I think the Sport will be very successful. I think it will ultimately outsell the full-size Bronco. If I was buying in that segment I would consider it.

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Even if it were true... I certainly think it is, maybe "copy" is a bit extreme but they certainly benchmarked the Wrangler... But even with that does it matter? How do you feel about the Raptor vs TRX? To me that is much more blatant than the Bronco/Jeep comparison.

Sponsored

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I think the Sport will be very successful.
I was coming off of Ironclads here in CO last weekend (along with everyone else in the western US, I'd swear damn it was crowded). It is not the most difficult trail, you might be familiar with it because TFL uses it for some of their testing, but on my way out I got passed by a Bronco Sport on its way in. I don't know which trim it was it was, but I would have liked to have turned around to follow it. But that trail was insanely busy, not only with Jeeps and such, but there is a side by side rental company that uses it as well. By that point I had pretty much had my fill of people for the day.

I've seen a good number of Bronco Sports on the streets, seems like it is already a big hit. I'm excited to see some running the trails this summer.

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
Having owned 7 Jeep Wrangler over 20 years the most recent a 2020 JLUR that was just bought back as a Lemon by FCA,. If the Broncos were readily available I would be giving one a HARD look vs looking for another JLUR and the JEEP dealership drama most of have come to expect.

Why? Issues aside with my 2020 JLUR and having recently acquired a 2021 Ford Ranger 4x4 truck (the platform the Bronco is based on) for my son, I am impressed that the Ranger which cost far less then my JLUR is built with better fit finish. The 2.3 engine and auto trans smoked my JLUR 3.6 in acceleration, smoothness and holding frwy speeds. Off road the Ranger is pretty dang competent too.

All this and more on Ford’s mid size, mid priced truck so how much better will the Bronco be with improvements over the Ranger in suspension, 4x4 systems and availability of an even more powerful engine in their 2.7L.

If in the end Ford pulls off a vehicle with as good of performance on road as the Ranger and equal off road / adverse weather performance to the JL/U/R with a better dealership experience, then JEEP is in real trouble. I kinda hope it gives the arrogant “we don’t discount” Jeep dealerships and salespersons a good kick in the behind. Competition usually does🤞

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
So what? not allowed to not like the new Bronco?.
- I dont like it is ugly and not a jeep. This is 100% personal.
See the below quotes. Supposedly it’s ugly because they “copied” the Jeep.
I feel Jeep copied the early Bronco with its squared off hard top for the JK and now the JL. I’m glad they did, it looks better now.
What i mean is every freakin inch references the Wrangler.

Well let's start with the tailgate. Original Bronco - fold down tailgate with a horizontal handle in the middle, so even aftermarket tire carriers are offset to the passenger side. New Bronco - vertical handle on the drivers side, swing out tailgate with rear tire mounted in the center.

That's just one example. The door switches on the center console. The aux switches. The modular steel bumper. The black plastic fenders that get upgraded to painted molded fenders when you go to the "Sahara" trim. The black hardtop that gets upgraded to the colored hardtop. The soft top is basically identical including sunrider mode. The sway bar disconnect. I could go on and on. It like every inch is either "this is like a Wrangler" or "this is intentionally different/better" than the Wrangler.

It's not that big a deal. Full-size trucks are the same way. But you can't tell me their reference point wasn't the Wrangler. Too many coincidences. To me, it came off as "why wouldn't I just get the real thing?"
Even if it were true... I certainly think it is, maybe "copy" is a bit extreme but they certainly benchmarked the Wrangler... But even with that does it matter? How do you feel about the Raptor vs TRX? To me that is much more blatant than the Bronco/Jeep comparison.
Much more blatant, how? Did TRX copy the Raptor? No. They built an off road truck. Now if Dodge puts the 6.4 Heim in their half ton Rebel with TRX suspension for $60k. Sell like hot cakes!

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Much more blatant, how? Did TRX copy the Raptor? No.
Ford had a desert running 1/2 ton pickup with a good amount of power and they called it the Raptor, apparently named after the dinosaur. Along comes Ram with their 1/2 ton pickup, and they copied every single thing about the Raptor, but added a bigger engine. they even named it TRX, call it the T-Rex, and have a picture of a t-rex dinosaur eating a raptor. You gotta have blinders on if you believe that Ram didn't copy the Raptor. Ram did to Ford the same as Ford is doing to Jeep. "Hey there's a concept that works!" then they benchmark it make their same product be able to just beat the original in every measurable way. It's not a bad thing, IMO, and has been going on for decades.

They built an off road truck.
Ram already had an off road truck, one that is better off road than the Raptor (IMO). It's called the Power Wagon. But it's a different niche than the Raptor. The Raptor was first to the mass produced desert runner niche, and now Ram has entered that. Arguably Wrangler was the only vehicle in the purpose built offroad SUV niche and now Ford is entering that niche. Bronco is to Wrangler as TRX is to Raptor.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
See the below quotes. Supposedly it’s ugly because they “copied” the Jeep.
I feel Jeep copied the early Bronco with its squared off hard top for the JK and now the JL. I’m glad they did, it looks better now.

Much more blatant, how? Did TRX copy the Raptor? No. They built an off road truck. Now if Dodge puts the 6.4 Heim in their half ton Rebel with TRX suspension for $60k. Sell like hot cakes!
I never said it was ugly. I just said that it definitely feels like the Wrangler was the main reference. And we have acknowledged that Full-Size trucks are kind of the same way. No need to get defensive. If you go back there are a lot of things we like about the Bronco. It's not personal.
Sponsored