EugeneTheJeep

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
So many perspectives... all good. Here’s mine:

1. Solid front axle = Handles like a big toy truck and super fun to drive on and off road
2. Independent front suspension = Handles like a sedan with some more weight
(Perhaps I need a test drive, based on driving an F150/Expedition)

**For #1, add the diesel for more fun!
Sponsored

Dash68

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Chevy S10 ZR2 '12 JKUR '17 GC TH
The Bronco looks awesome and I wish it all the success for the simple fact that if it affects Wrangler sales, Jeep might make an effort to up their QC game and perhaps steal some design cues of their own. For example, I really dig the window switches located on the center armrest console and the aux switches up top. That'd separate a lot of the button clutter on the center dash.

That being said, it's amazing how much Ford got away with copying the Wrangler. I have to laugh when that goofy dude from Bronco Nation goes over a lot of the interior and mechanical features as if they're new, exclusive, and amazing when Jeep has been doing them since the JK.
The Bronco looks awesome and I wish it all the success for the simple fact that if it affects Wrangler sales, Jeep might make an effort to up their QC game and perhaps steal some design cues of their own. For example, I really dig the window switches located on the center armrest console and the aux switches up top. That'd separate a lot of the button clutter on the center dash.

That being said, it's amazing how much Ford got away with copying the Wrangler. I have to laugh when that goofy dude from Bronco Nation goes over a lot of the interior and mechanical features as if they're new, exclusive, and amazing when Jeep has been doing them since the JK.
The Jeep Liberty had the window switches on the center console, so add that to the copy cat list. I do like the switches on the top center of the dash board though.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
The Jeep Liberty had the window switches on the center console, so add that to the copy cat list. I do like the switches on the top center of the dash board though.
Eh, Ford did it before then, too, and I doubt they were the first. They put window switches and mirror controls on the center console back in the '80s on Thunderbirds and Cougars.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link

It really struck me in person how much it is a Wrangler knock-off.

it draws much more from the Wrangler than it does the classic Bronco.

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST

How so? Is it the pinched off nose and grill the jeep has but the Bronco does not?
Is it the squared off hardtop the JK/JL have? Is the tire on the back, or just the basic size?
You do realize everything design wise thats on the Bronco was on the original Bronco. How is that copying the Jeep?
Or maybe you're saying Ford copied Jeep in the 60's?
Jeep Wrangler JL JL Wrangler vs New Ford Bronco 44A12011-9D77-41E3-B79B-D317C9ECD8B7
Jeep Wrangler JL JL Wrangler vs New Ford Bronco E103F91C-554A-471B-9C9C-4D3F7D8527F4
Jeep Wrangler JL JL Wrangler vs New Ford Bronco 09D0CFB2-F0FD-4DEA-BBEA-6F86BF346F63
Jeep Wrangler JL JL Wrangler vs New Ford Bronco C2943112-6827-44AC-845F-236EF962E3BD
Jeep Wrangler JL JL Wrangler vs New Ford Bronco F05F801D-4FAD-4C62-ADBE-93B2DF636F1F
Jeep Wrangler JL JL Wrangler vs New Ford Bronco 21F91F1B-05CE-48C0-969E-5451DBFF52B3

Sponsored

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
How so? Is it the pinched off nose and grill the jeep has but the Bronco does not?
Is it the squared off hardtop the JK/JL have? Is the tire on the back, or just the basic size?
You do realize everything design wise thats on the Bronco was on the original Bronco. How is that copying the Jeep?
Or maybe you're saying Ford copied Jeep in the 60's?
Jeep Wrangler JL JL Wrangler vs New Ford Bronco 21F91F1B-05CE-48C0-969E-5451DBFF52B3
69 bronco will forever be my dream car

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill

No doubt it took a lot of inspiration from Wrangler.

I heard the Bronco described like this probably a year or 18 months ago. “Imagine if Ford had never discontinued the 1st gen Bronco, and instead kept building and improving on the design just like Jeep did with the CJ. If you pretend like that happened, the Bronco we are getting is pretty close to what that probably would’ve been.”

Trends in vehicles carry across brands. Ford learned a LOT from the wrangler, just compare the 2004 Bronco concept to the new one. Clearly they drew inspiration from the Jeep, the Raptor, Ultra4, side by sides, and the 4Runner.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Interesting note. Over 50% of the Broncos on order have never owned a a Jeep Wrangler.
How many Jeep Wrangler purchasers have previously owned a Wrangler? Or a Bronco? Especially if we just look at 2021 model year purchases.

Not everyone buys the newer version of the same model more than once. A lot of people buy their first truck/car/sedan/sports car/convertible/SUV/etc when they are purchasing one.

I would be more impressed if of any model year of any vehicle is being purchased by 50% or more of people who owned a previous year of the same model. I don't think most people go back to back with the same models, and only the older half of the market cycles back to the same model later in their car ownership history.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
How many Jeep Wrangler purchasers have previously owned a Wrangler? Or a Bronco? Especially if we just look at 2021 model year purchases.

Not everyone buys the newer version of the same model more than once. A lot of people buy their first truck/car/sedan/sports car/convertible/SUV/etc when they are purchasing one.

I would be more impressed if of any model year of any vehicle is being purchased by 50% or more of people who owned a previous year of the same model. I don't think most people go back to back with the same models, and only the older half of the market cycles back to the same model later in their car ownership history.

In a mature market like the US, 2/3 of new vehicle buyers are from existing owners; 1/3 by first time buyers.

In normal times, the bulk of returning buyers want to stick with the same brand and automaker. And often times a newer version of the same model represents the path of least resistance.

It is for this reason that FCA, and now Ford, like to dangle something like Wrangler and Broncos in front of buyers: precisely to break this chain of repeated purchases and attract new customers into the brand.

But these are not normal times: Work From Home (WFH) is making households reevaluate their vehicle purchases. Than in itself is making buyers take the plunge and try something new.

This market turmoil takes away a big part of the need to launch a model like Bronco that aims to disrupt the market —i.e., the market is already disrupted.

Returning customers bring stability to the business; new customers bring growth. Ideally, automakers want to maintain the same 2/3 returning to 1/3 new customer mix in their sales. But given the turmoil already on the market, Bronco could very well flip that mix to 2/3 new, 1/3 returning. This could give Ford a ton of sales growth, but with it will also bring a lot of business instability.

Ratiogear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
I just can't get over how goofy it looks. Trying to marry the boxiness with modern sleek design just doesn't do it for me. It's like a wrangler that took all its design queues from the Renegade.

As someone else said, I hope that it competes because the interior has some great features I'd love to see Jeep copy. The dash is just cleaner, I like the overhead aux, the window controls in armrest, the wireless charging holder, etc.

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
I’d be curious what the average conquest % is for a new vehicle. 60% sounds extremely high to me.

Also if Ford keeps this up, even the sport selling 100k+ units per year is going to be a cash cow for them. I already am seeing them all over the place, they clearly knocked it out of the park for this segment.
Jeep Wrangler JL JL Wrangler vs New Ford Bronco 6EE80C5C-271B-42ED-B7E0-6FC76715A78B

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I hate to be a negative person, but after seeing this picture/video, the Bronco will never achieve the Jeep status/following ever. It looks like an SUV with the top cut off as an afterthought. Not sure I like the looks. It may be well capable off road, but......... Just my opinion, don't get all defensive!
Sponsored