JL Wrangler vs New Ford Bronco

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
You’re still not getting it. Might as well throw in the Santa Fe and Crosstrek as competitors. They all have 4 doors and enough ground clearance to get you to the campsite.
So being body on frame, removable roof, front and rear diff locks, selectable 4x4, low gearing, good approach and departure angles, large factory tires, removable doors, optional manual transmission, and a large aftermarket count for absolutely nothing? So are those features not integral to the wrangler either? If Jeep discontinued the JL and renamed the compass with solid front and rear axles would that be adequate?
Sponsored

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
That raptor group looked huge. Mean while over the weekend in the Jeep world in Mesick Michigan.

Hey lets get together and bless our Jeeps for the upcoming season of wheeling....

1620062756611.png

This is about 10 am. There was Jeeps showing up like this until mid afternoon.
1620062824585.png

1620062857139.png

There where so many trail runs after the gathering, you could literally choose if you wanted to go on a huge 50+ Jeep trail ride or go with a smaller group. I put together a group of about 10 or 12 Jeeps and wheeled for about 4 hours.

1620063186154.png
2018 Jeep built as many JL in one year as Ford has ever produced via the Raptor.
You keep saying the Bronco will be another Kia. I say you’re wrong. If the Bronco community accepts the new Bronco like the Raptor group runs their trucks, you are in for a rude awakening. I think it’s cute how they put their trucks and Cherokees into the pics to make their wrangler group seem larger.
Yes when they’ve built about 1.5 million Wranglers over their lifetime, I would hope the turnout is larger.
A 360 camera is a cool toy, I’ll give you that, but it doesn’t beat actual visibility.
A majority of Wrangler buyers/owners won’t move to a truck like the Bronco. And the ones that do would have probably bought a Sahara anyway.
That’s funny. Most people that see the Bronco for the first time. It’s not a suv or a truck. It’s so small. It’s a Jeep.
And don’t forget the mall crawler sport/s.

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Ford will sell a ton of broco's it will impact Jeep sales no way it won't.. jeep has had the TRUE offroad semgment all to themselves for years with some mild competition from toyota. It has to affect sales, and it won't just be the sport/Sahara crowd.. the Bronco has chops.. it's not perfect but it is a nice vehicle. Jeep will need to up it's game to protect market share even in the Rubicon/Badlands segment. I am not going to lie.. i love my jeep.. but i will look at both 4 -5 years from now when I look to refresh my fleet.
Interesting note. Over 50% of the Broncos on order have never owned a a Jeep Wrangler.

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
So which is it, Wrangler buyers don't know how many cylinders they have or these options would entice them? Can't have it both ways.
The buyers that will look that deep into Bronco specs are outliers anyway, and are currently building SAS Tacomas and 4Runners, 'to be different', and not run a Wrangler. We all know the type.
I don’t even know what your point is anymore. My point about the cylinder count is that what’s “under the hood” is not really what people are knowledgeable about anymore. People may not know anything about suspension architecture/body on frame/approach angles but they know an “off road” vehicle when they see it. And it’s clear that the Bronco is aimed directly at Wrangler. It’s a convertible, it’s got big tires, 2 and 4 door options, and it’s got 4x4. There are exactly two vehicles in the US market that have that set of features and they are the Bronco and Wrangler.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Interesting note. Over 50% of the Broncos on order have never owned a a Jeep Wrangler.
A lot of people buying JLs and Gladiators never owned a Wrangler either.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2021 JLURe (coming soon)
You’re still not getting it. Might as well throw in the Santa Fe and Crosstrek as competitors. They all have 4 doors and enough ground clearance to get you to the campsite.
Surely I'm not the only person who has actually cross-shopped Wranglers and Crosstreks?

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Wrangler vs New Ford Bronco 1620072407083

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
At the end of the day, The Bronco will be a nice off roader. We just will not see many of them on the trail. It is kind of like the Toyota 4Runner. Great off roader, but you just don't see many of them on the trail.

I was up running trails over the weekend. Saw a lot of Jeeps, A LOT of Jeeps, and one 4runner. This will be the same thing with the Bronco.
Ted,
I think the Toyota crowd is more prevalent in non-technical trails. Here in CA, there are many out in the Mojave desert on any given weekend. Probably more so than Jeeps.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
The Jeep fanboys are just as bad as the Ford fanboys. All the folks that want to hate on the Bronco and finding things to try and compare them to is hilarious with not ONE person actually driving one or wheeling one yet.

1. Who really cares that a Jeep event gets 3,000 Jeep’s vs a Raptor event. Like you are really going to wheel and be friends with these 3,000. I go wheeling with 10 or less and those same 10 will have no problem if I am in a Bronco because they are actually friends and could give a crap about what you wheel. Hell we have a Renegade guy in our group and I assure you the Bronco will outwheel a Renegade.
2. Most people can’t even wheel their Rubicon to its current abilities so the Bronco will be just fine and do all the same stuff I suspect. Again speculation as not random person has get their hands on one yet.
3. I loved the knock that the Bronco had worse rear end visibility then the Wrangler. So then you couldn’t see out the back at all I guess because the Wrangler (with a 35”) is as bad as it gets. Worst of any truck or vehicle. But hey if we need to grasp for straws to knock down the Bronco, I guess that’s as good as any.
4. Also funny ripping on Ford engines. Yeah they are so bad. only Sold the most units in 2020 passing Toyota for number 1. Horrible engines, just horrible. I guess when you sell almost 2 million cars and trucks you are bound to get a few Chevy guys filling social media up with the facts.

Honestly who knows what will happen with the Bronco. My assessment
1. They will sell plenty and just like Wrangler will have a variety of mall crawlers, soccer moms and hard core enthusiasts.
2. They will be able to all the same stuff a comp built Wrangler can do, same mods.
3. they will have first year growing pains that will fuel the haters even more and those that will have amnesia regarding all the 2018 JL issues.
4. and you can bet there will be plenty of Broncos out at Moab for next years EJS and guess what, all those Jeep folks will be checking them out and having a beer with the Ford guys.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
The Bronco looks awesome and I wish it all the success for the simple fact that if it affects Wrangler sales, Jeep might make an effort to up their QC game and perhaps steal some design cues of their own. For example, I really dig the window switches located on the center armrest console and the aux switches up top. That'd separate a lot of the button clutter on the center dash.

That being said, it's amazing how much Ford got away with copying the Wrangler. I have to laugh when that goofy dude from Bronco Nation goes over a lot of the interior and mechanical features as if they're new, exclusive, and amazing when Jeep has been doing them since the JK.

Sponsored

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid
The majority of Jeep buyers buy Sport S and Sahara.

Wrangler is not a niche enthusiast vehicle. They sell 200,000/year. Those people are going to cross-shop the Bronco. You and your buddies (and I) won’t. I get that. But we are not the majority.
This. I live in CT and there are tons, and tons of Wranglers out here. Pretty much the same all over New England. Most will never even see the mud let alone a hardcore trail.

Most people buy them because they are cool and like the idea of 4WD/AWD and a vehicle that you can take the top and doors off far more than you can go wheeling.

Bronco offers this same type of experience that you just can't get from a 4Runner, Crosstrek, Land Rover, etc.

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
Interesting as one of the first letters I got from Jeep was an extended 150k mile warranty on my heads. They don’t give these out unless there are problems. 12 JL Rubicon.
Don’t tell me you got the diesel or turbo motor? There’s a reason most of us “long term” vehicle buyers went with the 3.6L…

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
ya i have rock krawler suspension with upgraded control arms.. not sure bout your set up.. but i got about 18" inches or so.. my wife would say 6" but i say 18" lol
hahahahaha
I wish you had video of it!
Mine is a stock rubi. So maybe I'm crazy. But man this thing handles good when I push it hard, seems like I could get a little air with no problem?

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
Ohhh, I thought you were talking about your new Rubicon. Yes I'm familiar with the early model JK 2011-2013 problem. It's well documented by most mechanics in the national report database. It was a big issue for Chrysler early on, the motors were not designed well with a major flaw. The issue had to be caught and fixed early on, Chrysler did extensive research after many lawsuits were posted. Still to this day the early JK's are considered a "stay away from" vehicle. Those issues no longer exist in the revised motor. It's true to never buy the early models on any vehicle.
Sponsored