Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The Army actually awarded Willys the rights to build the Jeep after the war. Even though the design was based on the Bantam Scout Car. Ford was instrumental in one major way though. They developed the stamped steel grill because it was faster to produce than the grill slats on the early MBs and GPWs
The rights weren't for the Army to "award," though. It' just how things were done back then.

No doubt the fog of war played a role.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I have been ambivalent towards Ford over the years. Every now and then they come up with great products; other times they put out absolute crap and pretend their shit don't stink.

Ford seems to be on a roll right now: they new F-Series appears to be a homerun; the new Mach-e has been getting good reviews; the relatively new Ranger is now outselling Colorado; the new Bronco Sport is sold out.

So far Ford appears to be doing the right things marketing the new Bronco. But the constant delays are making Bronco's marketing linger out there too much on its own without actual product.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
The rights weren't for the Army to "award," though. It' just how things were done back then.

No doubt the fog of war played a role.
Not the way it works when you are building a product for the military even today. The Army owns the rights to whatever it is that you develop, if you are developing it under contract. A modern example is the Army's camouflage pattern. The current pattern is called Scorpion and was developed by the company Crye over a decade ago for a contract. At that point the Army wasn't planning to use it, but they owned it. Later the troops asked for a better camouflage than the UCP that was being issued. They looked for something to work and get to the troops quickly, so they planned to buy a product from the civilian market. Enter Crye again with Multicam. It's really just a slightly modified version of Scorpion that they developed earlier under contract. The Army bought this pattern as well on a limited basis, because it was able to be pushed out quickly, and someone likely didn't even realize that it was really a pattern that they already owned. Later the higher ups wanted to make Multicam the new pattern for the entire Army, not just the deployed troops, and asked Crye for a price. Crye came back with a price that was considered too high. Also someone finally realized that it was very close to the existing Scorpion pattern that the Army already owned. So they put that in to use and Crye got nothing.

The development for the Jeep was a similar situation.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Been doing some number crunching.

Ford sales kinda sucked in Q1:
Jeep Wrangler JL JL Wrangler vs New Ford Bronco 1619806177584

Source: Auto News

Some blame Ford's tepid sales on lack of rental sales, which could be true.

Interestingly, Fullsize Pickups lost 1 point in market share between Q1 2021 and 2020.

F-Series sales lagged behind the rest of the market, and Bronco Sport appears to be cannibalizing into Escape and Edge sales. So things are not all rosy at Blue oval.

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Damn the oem Bronco Bandlands with safety equip did well in its first 1k mile off road race. Competing and beating a number of fully built off road trucks.

Sponsored

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
Gonna be hard to wheel with blown turbos.
....are you talking about the JL or the Bronco? Just doing a quick Google it looks like both Ford and FCA use Honeywell turbochargers so I guess you’re talking about both?

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
I didn’t want to get involved in this debate, but I’ll chime in.

I just don’t like Fords. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Overall the Bronco looks nice and capable, but I DO NOT like or trust Ford motors. I’ve spoken to a few local mechanics as well as seen some YouTube’s videos, and the all seem to have a common opinion that Ford motors aren’t made well. If you take one apart you’ll see a lot of built up residue in the block that typically other motors wouldn’t have.

I really hope the Bronco is solid, because I want to see this platform do well and not give customers problems. I am skeptical of anything that’s extremely hyped, the marketing has been incredible to make sells, but does the mechanical aspect hold up long term? We shall see. I like to put my money where I know I get a lot for it, and I typically look for longevity with every purchase. I drive a JLU, all manual. I want the least amount of electronics and moving parts for that very reason. Call me an old soul.

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
Overall the Bronco looks nice and capable, but I DO NOT like or trust Ford motors. I’ve spoken to a few local mechanics as well as seen some YouTube’s videos, and the all seem to have a common opinion that Ford motors aren’t made well. If you take one apart you’ll see a lot of built up residue in the block that typically other motors wouldn’t have.
Ford motors vary quite a lot. Some of the tinier eco boost engines (2.0 and smaller) I’ve heard of some issues with. But, the smaller bronco engine (2.3l) is used in the ecoboost mustang, and people boost them to INSANE levels with lots of success. I’m talking 400+ Horsepower with reliability. And the 2.7 ecoboost larger bronco engine is basically built like a diesel (It has a compacted graphite iron block like the 6.7 power stroke that is very strong) and it’s also a clean sheet design that is built from the ground up for a turbo. There are already F-150’s with 400k on this motor with almost no issues, and it is apparently one of Ford’s engines with the lowest warranty claims. The powertrain in the Bronco is excellent, I wouldn’t take a bet either way between the 3.6 JL and either Bronco engine. All 3 are excellent. (I don’t really know a whole lot about the 2.0 Jeep engine so I won’t speak to that one.)

Your quick google search would have also shown the new Fords are notorious for blowing turbos.
I mean it happens, but it’s because basically every Ford engine comes with a turbo nowadays. More turbo engines mean more blown turbos that’s just statistics.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Guys we need to stop fighting lol. The jeep JL was/is a huge success. It is a beautiful and capable jeep. Hell of a jeep.

The Bronco seems very nice. It will likely be a big hit as well. Ive said shit about its ifs before, but isnt it nice to have the option? to be able to buy a serious IFS crawler?. They both will have their pros/cons and youll have the choice as a consumer.

Not like that crappy new overpriced defender. Ford and Jeep giving us real options. And both of them American engineering. Feel proud.

Jeeps will get even better too.

Sponsored

Yogi1956

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
Clubs

The Full Size Bronco 4 door wheelbase is 2” shorter than a JLUR and ground Clearance with 35’s is 11.5 vs 10.8 JLUR with 33’s. Jeep with 35’s would be 11.8? Maybe a worse ride in the Bronco with ground clearance almost a tie.

The Bronco in the right configuration (Badlands or 1st edition with sway disconnect) will be as capable as a JLUR and more HP bit it will still look like a grocery getter SUV other than the giant BRONCO badges.

Pricing seems to favor Ford but no surprise, no one buys a Jeep because it’s a value price wise.

Like the Rubicon, 90% will never see anything close to what they’re capable of (mine included) As long as there is no “Bronco wave” I’m good

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
Ford motors vary quite a lot. Some of the tinier eco boost engines (2.0 and smaller) I’ve heard of some issues with. But, the smaller bronco engine (2.3l) is used in the ecoboost mustang, and people boost them to INSANE levels with lots of success. I’m talking 400+ Horsepower with reliability. And the 2.7 ecoboost larger bronco engine is basically built like a diesel (It has a compacted graphite iron block like the 6.7 power stroke that is very strong) and it’s also a clean sheet design that is built from the ground up for a turbo. There are already F-150’s with 400k on this motor with almost no issues, and it is apparently one of Ford’s engines with the lowest warranty claims. The powertrain in the Bronco is excellent, I wouldn’t take a bet either way between the 3.6 JL and either Bronco engine. All 3 are excellent. (I don’t really know a whole lot about the 2.0 Jeep engine so I won’t speak to that one.)
Sounds very promising. I’m rooting for the new Bronco and I look forward to see how it pushes Jeep engineering in the future

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Bronco doors are frameless? Uh-oh...!

Between the shaking and rattling on the trails, and Ford quality, how long before those windows come off their rails...?
Should last about 6 JL visor lifetimes, 2 stock tierods, or one aluminum steering box. Take your pick.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
At the end of the day, The Bronco will be a nice off roader. We just will not see many of them on the trail. It is kind of like the Toyota 4Runner. Great off roader, but you just don't see many of them on the trail.

I was up running trails over the weekend. Saw a lot of Jeeps, A LOT of Jeeps, and one 4runner. This will be the same thing with the Bronco.

Outlawd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 punk'n Rubicon unlimited, 1968 Plymouth GTX, 1969 Coronet R/T 440 BDS 871 blower 900hp
Not sure about the Bronco's on trails as we don't have many major trails around here but I'm starting to see a few on the road. I have no problem giving credit where credit is due and when it comes to overall looks of the Bronco well lets just say there is no credit due.....they just don't have that rough and tough go anywhere kind of look. jmo
Sponsored