JL Wrangler vs New Ford Bronco

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
American automakers had no idea what they were doing in the 70’s and 80’s. More at 11.

I love the 392 but Jeep needs a reasonable GAS power upgrade for $2-$3k like what Bronco offers.

what am I reading right now

Luckily with how much less capable the Bronco is, you can just go on trails that are reserved for solid axles only. Shouldn’t be a problem!
Didnt know what they were doing?? What does that mean? sounds like you didnt know what else to say. lol But I do. Bronco didnt sell overall as well against jeep despite what many beleive was a superior vehicle. Coil sprung, v8, great axles, even a front 44 for a time. Yet people stopped buying it so ford stopped selling it.

Now ford is selling a vehicle that is not a better off road rig so how is that going to work out better then last time when the bronco was a better machine? Now if those pics are right and ford offers a super wide track that will allow IFS to actually work well against a solid front axle that might be interesting but how much is that going to cost? Thinking jeep might have a better idea. lol

Jeep has the diesel for about the same price and will likely have something else that will again out shine or compete with bronco. But honestly I'm fine with my 3.6 and for off road you dont need power but it is for sure fun.

Your reading the GOAT system is both for novice's and to mask the limitations of IFS and other weaknesses in the ford product.

What trails? The easy high traction trails in moab with professional drivers and spotters? Than add the GOAT system to mask flaws in the design? IFS blows unless it's for go fast stuff, or you throw in some wide track mega bucks system. Then it's pretty darn amazing!
Sponsored

Last edited:

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Problem is most mall crawlers don't want to claim they are one. You still have to market hardcore off roading to them. The overlanders and soft-roaders are experienced and wont feel inadequate getting a less capable rig if it meets their needs. Mall crawlers are a huge portion of the market though.
Disagree. Mall crawlers are buying the marketing of a capable machine whether they just mall crawl or not. It's what you could do with it, not necessarily what you will do.

Same for a Corvette or any sports car. How many are going 200+ or hitting the race track?

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Yeah, saw LiteBrite's video today and really, although owning a 2 door JL Rubicon AND work for a Jeep dealership, I have to admit that I found 2 things really impressive:

1. You are able to connect / disconnect sway bar while fully flexed
2. The car is able to block the rear corner inner wheel to perform a hard turn

That's f***ing crazy, why isn't my JL able to do this.

To be honest, and I think we all can be that honest, JLs are great cars, BUT: There is always room for improvement, which Ford now did.

Hurry up Jeep and keep coming up with new technique.

Greets,

Tobias
That video was pretty embarrassing. While cool you can hit the button to disconnect the swaybar mid object why would ANYONE wait to do it? You hit the trail and hit the button prior to needing it. Her fake surprise just tells me it's an advertisement for ford.

Blocking the rear I guess is cool but the question is why doesnt JL have it. Easy. It's pretty easy for a competitor to come up with stuff to compete. THere is nothing the bronco has that jeep cannot easily duplicate or make better. It's why bronco is good for jeep owners. We will get the improvements in spades and have a more capable rig then ever.

It's why bronco will be a short timer just like it was in the 60s and 70's. People like something new and different but in the end they want the real thing and jeep has proven this since the 40s.

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
Disagree. Mall crawlers are buying the marketing of a capable machine whether they just mall crawl or not. It's what you could do with it, not necessarily what you will do.

Same for a Corvette or any sports car. How many are going 200+ or hitting the race track?
I agree with you. What i'm saying is that if the Jeep JL is still perceived to be a bit better off road than the bronco, then mall crawlers are going to want the vehicle that is marketed as better off road. Forget the fact that the most off roading they'll be doing the gravel parking lot at the pumpkin patch once a year. Doesnt matter, they want the most capable. I think thats the war that Ford and Jeep are having. Whoever comes out on top, wins over the mall crawlers and thus the lions share of the market.

rkan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 2018 VW GTI Autobahn
I don't see this exact question posed in this thread. Compare the best equipped towards hard core as in trails/rocks , not high speed offroad(since this is the Wrangler's specialty) STOCK version of each. Not taking into account individual use case ("I wheel exclusively level 5 trails and above", etc).
What percentage of capability would you guess (Broncos have not been tested in the wild yet) the Bronco posseses in relation to the Wrangler STOCK vs STOCK?
My unqualified opinion says Bronco is 90% as capable.
It can't do everything the Wrangler can, but can do most of it, almost all.

Sponsored

wbee

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU, 2018 JLUR
The one thing I love about Jeep is the mechanical simplicity. I can do lifts, new control arms, bumpers, steering and lots more in my garage with simple tools. Depending on your budget you have a big range in aftermarket support for jeeps. You can lift a JL for as little as $399 if your just wanting to improve the stance on a mall crawler. I will be interested to see if the Bronco with IFS and turbo charged engine will be as easy to mod. I look at the bronco and all those huge body panels and wheel arches and wonder if it going to be difficult and expensive to mod.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
The one thing I love about Jeep is the mechanical simplicity. I can do lifts, new control arms, bumpers, steering and lots more in my garage with simple tools. Depending on your budget you have a big range in aftermarket support for jeeps. You can lift a JL for as little as $399 if your just wanting to improve the stance on a mall crawler. I will be interested to see if the Bronco with IFS and turbo charged engine will be as easy to mod. I look at the bronco and all those huge body panels and wheel arches and wonder if it going to be difficult and expensive to mod.
IFS will be much more difficult to mod...the Jeep wins in this area. While I love the 392 in the Jeep, it’s just too expensive. That 2.7l turbo in the Bronco is much stronger than either of the other two gas engines offered in the Wrangler. If you do a lot of rock crawling the Jeep will prevail. For all other on and off road uses the Bronco might become the new benchmark. That said Ford still needs to prove it can build a reliable new product....we shall see.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Jeep already make off road vehicles with IFS and and IRS. It is not like Jeep doesn't make them. They have been making independent suspension Jeeps for approximately two decades.

The new Cherokee have a kick ass suspension that has the ability to change the amount of lift by approximately 4 inches. This was nabbed from an article about the Jeep Suspension.

Quadra-Lift
The class-exclusive Jeep Quadra-Lift air suspension, now with electronic adaptive damping, delivers class-leading ground clearance and water fording. The system automatically adjusts the shock tuning to changing road conditions for enhanced comfort, stability and control.

The 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L’s Quadra-Lift system operates automatically, or may be controlled manually with console controls, and features five height settings for optimum ride performance:

• Normal Ride Height (NRH): 8.3 inches (212mm) of clearance offers improved fuel economy, as well as improved aerodynamics during on-road driving
  • Off-road 1: Lifts the vehicle an additional 1.6 inches (40mm) from NRH for added height in clearing obstacles (9.9 inches)
  • Off-road 2: Delivers legendary Jeep off-road capability and provides an additional 2.4 inches (60mm; 9 percent more range than previous generation) from NRH for increased, best-in-class ground clearance of 10.9 inches and up to 24 inches of water fording depth (improvement of four inches over previous generation)
  • Park Mode: Lowers 1.8 inches (46mm) from NRH for easy ingress/egress, which levels down the vehicle twice as fast over the previous generation. NRH and Park Mode are driver selectable, giving the driver full control over vehicle ride height. Air suspension improvements include a dual tank design to enable more controlled and quicker functionality
  • Aero Mode: Lowers the vehicle 0.8 inches (21mm) from NRH. Aero Mode is controlled by vehicle speed and adjusts for optimal performance and fuel economy. The vehicle will also lower to Aero Mode when in Sport Mode
Quadra-Lift adds up to 4.17 inches (106mm) of lift span supported by four-corner air springs that provide an air cushioned, premium ride. The crawl ratio on the Grand Cherokee L is 44:1.

With the available Quadra-Lift air suspension, the 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L features a 30.1-degree approach angle, a 23.6-degree departure angle and 22.6-degree breakover angle.

So in reality, the bronco is still behind Jeep even in the independent suspension area. Jeep just not offer this for the wrangler because in my opinion that is not what wrangler owners want.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
A few years back Sergio Marchionne came out publicly to say that upcoming Wrangler (JL) would have IFS; he almost got stoned to death! There was so much backlash, he was forced to change course.

I owned two Grand Cherokees, a 1995 and a 2001; they were just awesome. But the current one, as nice as it is, drives like German car; I have no use for it.

The last thing we need is yet another Jeep that drives like a sedan.

Thankfully, JL gives me everything I want in a Jeep. And now that Selec-Trac is available, it makes for a nice replacement to those Grand Cherokees of old.

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
Didnt know what they were doing?? What does that mean? sounds like you didnt know what else to say. lol But I do. Bronco didnt sell overall as well against jeep despite what many beleive was a superior vehicle. Coil sprung, v8, great axles, even a front 44 for a time. Yet people stopped buying it so ford stopped selling it.

Now ford is selling a vehicle that is not a better off road rig so how is that going to work out better then last time when the bronco was a better machine? Now if those pics are right and ford offers a super wide track that will allow IFS to actually work well against a solid front axle that might be interesting but how much is that going to cost? Thinking jeep might have a better idea. lol

Jeep has the diesel for about the same price and will likely have something else that will again out shine or compete with bronco. But honestly I'm fine with my 3.6 and for off road you dont need power but it is for sure fun.

Your reading the GOAT system is both for novice's and to mask the limitations of IFS and other weaknesses in the ford product.

What trails? The easy high traction trails in moab with professional drivers and spotters? Than add the GOAT system to mask flaws in the design? IFS blows unless it's for go fast stuff, or you throw in some wide track mega bucks system. Then it's pretty darn amazing!
Larger majority of people buying JLU are not buying it for offroad - well they are buying idea / thrill of posibly going offroad and ability to go toples at walmart parking lot, waiting for your groceries, while listening to XM radio...including many if those with Rubicon (status symbol).

Same thing applies to Bronco.
There will be some that will buy Worthhawk just because badass.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
I'll say one thing for the Bronco. As a huge Ford guy who chose to go with an F150 over a Jeep Wrangler a long time ago, all the hoopla surrounding the Bronco got me to give serious thought to the idea of buying an off-roader, even if it wasn't a "practical" thing to own.

My wife left my ass a long time ago, and I'm just not cut out for the whole dating thing. I dump every girl like a hot potato the very instant she becomes the slightest bit irritating. I could save for retirement like a responsible adult, but then I would be an old guy who spent his best years saving money instead of living life. I'd rather eat cat food and enjoy the memories.

So I gradually talked myself into keeping the beloved truck, and picking up a Bronco. The Bronco was going to be my thing. Ford Ford Ford, Ford all the way, Ford Ford Ford.

Have you seen one of the new Broncos in the real world? Probably not. Ford built up all this hype, and then it fizzled as far as I care. I have a buddy at work who is getting his in July or August.

I have a brand new Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys sitting in my driveway TODAY. If it hadn't been for Ford's hype over the Bronco, I probably wouldn't have been able to talk myself into stepping so far out of my responsible husband comfort zone.

I texted my ex, "I should have bought the Jeep!"

I'm extremely glad I did. If you gave me a Bronco for free tomorrow, I'd just sell it, and pay off my Jeep. Then I could afford more parts for my Jeep.

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
The Bronco doesn't suck.. but it has 10% less articulation stock.. and lifting it and get more articulation after lift will be more expensive and not ever be able to flex like a jeep. The articulation gains after lift will be less on the bronco.. However with a high quality lift and upgraded shocks.. a jeep can haul ass across the dessert too.. but for around 62k you can get a loaded badlands Sasquatch bronco.. will come with 35's and bilstien 5100 coil-overs and IFS.. which is cool but they also lower the articulation even further on that package .. but they give no discounts right now on them.. my new Rubicon with everything on wanted on it was around 59k.. but i got over 6k off sticker.. i then put 5500 into 37's, wheels, a RK 2.5 lift, fox shocks.. and so have still spent less money.. and i will have probably20-30 percent better articulation, no 2 year waiting list, and my jeep handles and rides like a luxury sports car with the new suspension and tires.. and is spent probably 4k less.. and really what normal person wants to do more than say 50mpg off road very often.. Last thing i want to do is hit sand or rock wrong at 95 dn flip the thing 14 times when i am 2 hours away from medical care.. assuming someone is around to even help me
Source of 10% less articulation?
like the Jeep rollling at moab a couple weeks ago?

I have yet to see a oem Rubicon complete a trail the oem Bronco has not.
About 15 years ago Ford started designing something no wanted. It had never been done before. While everyone was screaming lightning they built the Raptor. This new Bronco has high speed off road with the ability to crawl over 95% of what the Rubicon can do oem. It’s going to be a huge hit!
mark this post and see if I’m out of my mind 10 years later...
Sponsored