Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
I could not keep up and feel confident I wasn't abusing the vehicle. Even if equipped with them same vehicle I probably wouldn't want to keep up because unlike them I have to pay to repair anything that might come apart. But I suspect the big difference is their IFS will fly over those kind of roads much better than my solid axles. I also don't have any kind of GOAT mode. /s

I believe they may have been warthogs, not just the standard bronco. I did not hear any kind of V8 noise and in town I was right behind them at the stop sign and they accelerated away from that stop pretty fast. To my eye there was something strange with the rear axle though. It almost looked to me like they had portal axles on the rear. I never got a good view of the front.
Something strange like this?

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Wrangler vs New Ford Bronco 1618867056607

thats the warthog

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Wrangler vs New Ford Bronco 1618867015667
Sponsored

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Something strange like this?
1618867056607.png
Yep like that back view. Although from straight behind it it looked like the axle line sat up above the center of the wheel. But see that strange gusseting (I think that's what I'm seeing in this photo)... That could have been it, looked like portals hanging down off the side of the axles going to the wheel.

EDIT: here is my shit photo, dated 10/19.
Jeep Wrangler JL JL Wrangler vs New Ford Bronco w5Rq1tf

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yep like that back view. Although from straight behind it it looked like the axle line sat up above the center of the wheel. But see that strange gusseting (I think that's what I'm seeing in this photo)... That could have been it, looked like portals hanging down off the side of the axles going to the wheel.
ya even the 392 isn't going to keep up with that.. if i win the lotto I might pull the trigger on ones of those lol

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

EDIT: here is my shit photo, dated 10/19.
w5Rq1tf.jpg
those are 100% warthogs.. see the extra fender flares and how wide the axles are.. that will probably be the offroad suv in mass production when it's released.. your pretty lucky to have been able to see them in the wild and offroad.

Sponsored

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
those are 100% warthogs.. see the extra fender flares and how wide the axles are.. that will probably be the offroad suv in mass production when it's released.. your pretty lucky to have been able to see them in the wild and offroad.
I don't know who they had driving those things, but no f's were given about washboard and potholes. I do wish I had followed because from where I turned around at there are only two ways out that I know of, up and over Webster or up Radical hill back to Montezuma. Radical hill is much more difficult and to me it is doubtful they would have gone up there. There is one side trail that I know, goes up to a mine then dead ends. But really I'm sure they either stopped at the water crossing and turned around the way they came, or they went up and over Webster. I was out alone, had ran Red Cone then went up Radical hill and back down, and was on my way home tired from a long day. Didn't really want to take on yet another trail even it was just Webster. But looking back... yeah I wish I had kept up the chase.

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know who they had driving those things, but no f's were given about washboard and potholes. I do wish I had followed because from where I turned around at there are only two ways out that I know of, up and over Webster or up Radical hill back to Montezuma. Radical hill is much more difficult and to me it is doubtful they would have gone up there. There is one side trail that I know, goes up to a mine then dead ends. But really I'm sure they either stopped at the water crossing and turned around the way they came, or they went up and over Webster. I was out alone, had ran Red Cone then went up Radical hill and back down, and was on my way home tired from a long day. Didn't really want to take on yet another trail even it was just Webster. But looking back... yeah I wish I had kept up the chase.
ya i know they actually have proffessional baja races on there development team. One of the engineers actually is a baja racer that went back and got an engineering degree. I looked at the bronco pretty hard before buying another jeep. But ultinmately felt the jeep is a better platform for me, that is tried and true, and a better value. But i know in 4-6 years when i might consider a new vehicle, that having both options will be nice... and the competition between them should bring some great product improvements over the next few years.

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
will be fun to see if jeep comes out with a TRX version of the wrangler to compete.. think the 392 was the quick fix..
The 392 is a stopgap. I can guarantee Jeep has some crazy stuff up their sleeves and I’m sure Ford does too.

The surface hasn’t even been scratched yet.

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
I have seen heavily modified FJ Cruisers do some amazing stuff offroad. Admittedly, if you want to do serious offroading, might as well get a Wrangler.

Bronco also leverages existing parts bins from Ranger. And despite all the PR efforts from Ford, we won't really know how capable Bronco really is off-road until the press and the public get their hands on it.

My guess is that IFS is going to be a non-starter for most offroad enthuasiats. Where Bronco may find its real niche is with overlanders, soft-roaders and mall crawlers. There are tons of them out there.
Problem is most mall crawlers don't want to claim they are one. You still have to market hardcore off roading to them. The overlanders and soft-roaders are experienced and wont feel inadequate getting a less capable rig if it meets their needs. Mall crawlers are a huge portion of the market though.

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Problem is most mall crawlers don't want to claim they are one. You still have to market hardcore off roading to them. The overlanders and soft-roaders are experienced and wont feel inadequate getting a less capable rig if it meets their needs. Mall crawlers are a huge portion of the market though.
If i ever get to name a trail, I am naming it "The Mall" and I am throwing parking bumps all over the place

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
will be fun to see if jeep comes out with a TRX version of the wrangler to compete.. think the 392 was the quick fix..
Doubt it will fit. The 392 HEMI barely fit.

The Hellcat motor is a LOT taller with that supercharger on top.

wbee

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU, 2018 JLUR
Moab is pretty easy stuff given the traction is like sand paper. Get excellent spotters or pro drivers who know the lines it's not hard stuff...at least the trails there were on.

I saw the video of lite brite, laughed at the fake surprise of the anti-sway disconnect. It had more of a feel of advertisement for the ford they are buying. I like the litebrite site, but was disappointed with the video.
I used to enjoy litebrite but they have turned into sales people and sales videos. Can’t blame them, I would do it if I could but really don’t put too much weight in their reviews. Ford has been very particular about the bronco videos released to this point. If the bronco ever makes it to production it will be fun to compare in the real world instead of all these goofy Ford setup videos.

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
If the bronco ever makes it to production it will be fun to compare in the real world instead of all these goofy Ford setup videos.
...it is literally in production right now. They’re just building dealer display and review units until the end of may. Each dealership is getting a Bronco or two, if you look on YouTube there are tons of dealer videos from the past few weeks. The Bronco has only been delayed a year total since the program was greenlit in 2016, 6 months of delay in 2017/2018 for a redesign (original was too much like a Jeep)and a 6 month delay due to covid.

wbee

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU, 2018 JLUR
...it is literally in production right now. They’re just building dealer display and review units until the end of may. Each dealership is getting a Bronco or two, if you look on YouTube there are tons of dealer videos from the past few weeks. The Bronco has only been delayed a year total since the program was greenlit in 2016, 6 months of delay in 2017/2018 for a redesign (original was too much like a Jeep)and a 6 month delay due to covid.
In production if you don’t want a soft top or a black hard top or microchips. 😂😂😂

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
ferd strategy:

In 1997, Ford discontinued production of the Rangers at its Kentucky plant in Louisville, USA.
As a result, the third generation of Ford Rangers were only produced at Ford’s factories in St. Paul, Minnesota; Edison, New Jersey; and General Pacheco, Argentina.

Also, Ford added its Thailand Manufacturing Plant in Rayong, Thailand, to the list of factories that manufactures the Ranger in 2016.
After 2018, Ford closed down production of the Ranger in New Jersey and Minnesota, USA.
The company then moved production of some Ford Rangers to its factories in Michigan, USA; Hai Duong, Vietnam; Silverton, South Africa; and Lagos, Nigeria.

So this current run / dev of the bronco and (some) rangers is in Wayne, MI only part of their rangers. it's pretty likely they will move the bronco production to outside the USA at the first opportunity (when nobody is looking).
Sponsored