JL Wrangler vs New Ford Bronco

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Just more things to break. I'm about to toss my smartbar for a currie anti-rock front and prob rear as well. I've been deactivating the front swaybar via tazer swaykill every time I hit the road and with the 100x better than stock shocks body roll isn't much different than with it connected, however ride is HUGELY improved. I'm thinking the anti-rocks would be perfect and I won't have to unlock shit.
Agree. I had the antirock on my tj and felt the same way. Also felt WAY more stable off roading and will likely ditch the factory unit.
Sponsored

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I was curious. So I priced out both vehicles same options.
Jeep 3.6 auto $60,395. $58,705 without safety features standard on Bronco Lux pack.
Bronco Wildtrak 2.7 auto SAS Lux $57,130
Of course a bare bones Rubi will be less than a full optioned Bronco.

IFS with sway disconnect has done everything the oem Rubicon can do. It actually gives more ground clearance up front. Of course once modified you are correct live will have more articulation. Then again once modified one can with a full long arm ifs like trophy trucks.
F48CA856-D2EC-4010-895B-300A6BC04A31.jpeg
IF you wheel you KNOW a straight axle is superior. The IFS hammer rigs arent even close to what a factory IFS bronco is and will be. Making a SA a killer offroader is pretty darn cheap to do.

IFS is best at speed and does have great ground clearance until it doesnt. lol

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
You must have had a different Ford ownership experience than I had. I love the look of the Bronco, but my last Ford experience is what takes it off the table for me for now.
I had a 89 bronco and was a POS then a chevy that was the same, then a cherokee the same as well, now I have an F150 that I think is the greatest truck in the world, my JL the same greatness.

I've come to the conclusion with american cars it's a crap shoot in what you get..less so with jap cars but there are some too.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I am also curious to see what happens with the resale value for the new bronco...compared to the Wrangler
I'm curious how long the bronco will be around? The last REAL bronco wasnt around all that long despite it being superior (unlike this bronco).

I think the bronco will likely last as long as the FJ did... the FJ was a POS unlike the bronco (I hope), but it will still be gone.

I think the history of the jeep is what keeps it going along and watching others come and go. The saying there is only one jeep is very true. I just hope bronco gets jeep to tweak things for the better and for that I thank ford. We would have never seen a 392 and I'm sure other things will be in the pipeline

Sponsored

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I had a 89 bronco and was a POS then a chevy that was the same, then a cherokee the same as well, now I have an F150 that I think is the greatest truck in the world, my JL the same greatness.

I've come to the conclusion with american cars it's a crap shoot in what you get..less so with jap cars but there are some too.
Yup, I have had 2 Fords. An Explorer Sport 2dr that I adored. I wish I could have justified putting more cash into fixing it, but I needed a reliable daily driver and had no excess cash flow coming right out of college. Let it go with a little over 130K on it.

My first brand new vehicle was an Edge, and that thing was a real POS. I was praying it would hold together until the trade-in paper work was done. A true danger on the highway with major problems starting right at 75K miles. It was like clockwork after the warranty passed. It was gone by 80K.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I agree with most of this except Jeep’s being fun to drive on the road...absolutely not. Two lanes up to moderate speeds maybe....high speed interstate....just about anything modern drives better....I’m not complaining, just realistic. A Wrangler is a compromise.
I feel bad SOME are having this issue. I have 37's 4 inch lift and mine was a blast on the road at any speed and towing a trailer to boot. No compremise at all in fact just the opposite, it's a hoot to drive anywhere

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
I am also curious to see what happens with the resale value for the new bronco...compared to the Wrangler
i agree. i regret cancelling my reservation...i should've bought one and flipped it for an extra $10K since im sure theres a bunch of people who will want one that right away! lol

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
I'm curious how long the bronco will be around? The last REAL bronco wasnt around all that long despite it being superior (unlike this bronco).

I think the bronco will likely last as long as the FJ did... the FJ was a POS unlike the bronco (I hope), but it will still be gone.

I think the history of the jeep is what keeps it going along and watching others come and go. The saying there is only one jeep is very true. I just hope bronco gets jeep to tweak things for the better and for that I thank ford. We would have never seen a 392 and I'm sure other things will be in the pipeline
the only thing that makes me think the bronco has a chance of sticking around for the long term is that there are ford dealerships who will be building designated bronco buildings. they look really cool lol and i couldnt imagine dealerships shelling out this money for a vehicle that will last 5-10 years max. unless the bronco brand remains forever but just changes to some stupid econobox like chevy did with the blazer

Speed331

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jetta, 2018 Discovery Sport, 2020 Wrangler Sport S (on order)
I agree with most of this except Jeep’s being fun to drive on the road...absolutely not. Two lanes up to moderate speeds maybe....high speed interstate....just about anything modern drives better....I’m not complaining, just realistic. A Wrangler is a compromise.
I swear, I must have gotten a mutant Jeep. '20 2 door SS and it is an absolute go cart at high speed. Have had it up to 90 without a shimmy or drift. Regularly cruise at 75 - 80 every day. I'm in no way doubting the issues others have - too many horror stories to discount - but mine has never felt like a 'compromise' on the street.
Honestly, I've had a brand new Rubi suspension sitting in the crate for 6 months now and have been hesitant to install it, 'cause I don't want to screw up my ride. 🤞the longer LCA's will keep it on rails...

As far as the Bronco goes. I have nothing against it and hope it's a good vehicle for those who want one. But I wanted 2 door Wrangler so I bought a 2 door Wrangler and really don't care about the other options...

Sponsored

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited

Curent Bronco will be successful unlike Toyota due to family orientated size, mallcrawler oriented amenities and ride quality, true convertible feel.

Those who are arguing reliability - each car make has models that are not so great and each model has few bad apples within models that are highly reliable. Seing how most of moving parts in Bronco come from F150/Ranger it will be above average in reliability, as they are (more so when choosing 2.7TT).

Recalls do not reflect once realibility, they mostly reflect once willines to Fix something instead of sweeping under the rug (like Fiat did). Toyta, Honda also have large recalls.

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
how much for the straight axle conversion? ;)
Don’t need it. Straight axle takes away front axle ground clearance. I’m good with my ground clearance, suspension travel and sway disconnect.

What’s a real Bronco? The Bronco was around for 30 years and only changed because of the mall crawler minivan 90’s. The bigger lower slower Expedition was the new Bronco in 97, as a 4 door 4x4.
The wrangler itself was saved by its 4 door option.

Recoil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 80th Anniversary JLU
Honestly after a lot of debate, I was going to go with the Bronco. I'm a nerd and I was appreciating all of the tech that was going into it. The wrangler was always my favorite style wise and the I find the bronco to be really fugly, but I figured I could learn to love it. I went with the Wrangler because of how long the wait list was looking. Everything I read was making it look like it would be 2023 at the earliest I could get one.

I don't have that sort of patience when I can just get what I really wanted to begin with within two months.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
All of what you said is true, the only thing that Bronco will be missing is the Jeep community. It is kind of like buying a Honda cruiser motorcycle and then hiking you are part of the Harley motorcycle community. Sure you have a cruiser, but it is just not the same. You will not be getting the waves from other bronco drivers, you will not have people wanting to talk to you in parking lots, girls will not be wanting to go for a ride in your Bronco. Kids will not be yelling cool Broncho as you drive by. You will be just like the Honda Shadow rider. Less maintenance, maybe better mileage and riding by yourself. Kind like how the 4runners, and range rover guys are now.
Exactly. It is not a Jeep. People dont look at old broncos the same way they look at jeeps. Specially 2 door jeeps (yall know it is true, dont wanna make another 2door vs 4door discussion plz lol)

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I swear, I must have gotten a mutant Jeep. '20 2 door SS and it is an absolute go cart at high speed. Have had it up to 90 without a shimmy or drift. Regularly cruise at 75 - 80 every day. I'm in no way doubting the issues others have - too many horror stories to discount - but mine has never felt like a 'compromise' on the street.
Honestly, I've had a brand new Rubi suspension sitting in the crate for 6 months now and have been hesitant to install it, 'cause I don't want to screw up my ride. 🤞the longer LCA's will keep it on rails...

As far as the Bronco goes. I have nothing against it and hope it's a good vehicle for those who want one. But I wanted 2 door Wrangler so I bought a 2 door Wrangler and really don't care about the other options...
Yeah I dont get it either. My 2019 2 door JL has always driven straight as an arrow. Always, stock and now slightly modified. I took it to the dealer for a battery replacement and they loaned me a new renegade. The renegade was a POS, the steering felt much lighter and it did NOT drive straight at all, steering "dead zone" was also noticeable. My JL drives better than any truck or cheap SUV ive driven before.
Sponsored