JL Wrangler vs New Ford Bronco

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
I totally disagree that MSRP is the right comparison. Street price makes more sense. That’s the actual money out of your pocket!
Msrp is the value manufacturer place on vehicles in order to produce and make a profit on the item. How is this not the correct comparison?

Street price is incorrect:
First the price may be available for one and not the other.
It’s based on location, do you include shipping or travel in to your purchase price? It’s money out of your pocket.
Street price goes up or down based on economic factors such as the virus.
Often street price is not the value of the vehicle but the number of units available. If one person wants to buy but there’s 1k units left even as allocation the price fluctuates wildly.
Then you have Tax title licensing fees which vary greatly by state. In ca you can pay over $6k for this vs $2k in other states. Do you add this on to your comparison after all it is money out of pocket?
My favorite is $6k under invoice but in order to get that price you have to buy $4k worth of add ons. Is this included in your street pricing? Extended warranty paint shield undercoating wheel and tire protection....

About a year ago someone was bragging about $58k otd for a brand new red eye. In my state he was stating that he paid just over $52k for this new redeye. It finally came out he paid $58k for the vehicle and had not included tax title and license fees. Again about a $6k difference in what he stated he paid vs what he actually paid for his sweet Redeye.
Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Msrp is the value manufacturer place on vehicles in order to produce and make a profit on the item. How is this not the correct comparison?

Street price is incorrect:
First the price may be available for one and not the other.
It’s based on location, do you include shipping or travel in to your purchase price? It’s money out of your pocket.
Street price goes up or down based on economic factors such as the virus.
Often street price is not the value of the vehicle but the number of units available. If one person wants to buy but there’s 1k units left even as allocation the price fluctuates wildly.
Then you have Tax title licensing fees which vary greatly by state. In ca you can pay over $6k for this vs $2k in other states. Do you add this on to your comparison after all it is money out of pocket?
My favorite is $6k under invoice but in order to get that price you have to buy $4k worth of add ons. Is this included in your street pricing? Extended warranty paint shield undercoating wheel and tire protection....

About a year ago someone was bragging about $58k otd for a brand new red eye. In my state he was stating that he paid just over $52k for this new redeye. It finally came out he paid $58k for the vehicle and had not included tax title and license fees. Again about a $6k difference in what he stated he paid vs what he actually paid for his sweet Redeye.
If you price both vehicles in the same location, then pretty much everything you just said doesn't apply.

I know if I was looking at both vehicles, I would be comparing the price I would pay, not MSRP.

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
If you price both vehicles in the same location, then pretty much everything you just said doesn't apply.

I know if I was looking at both vehicles, I would be comparing the price I would pay, not MSRP.
Fair enough.
My Bronco is $48.8k. A similar Jeep is about $52k. Subtract the $2.5k discount(ca pricing) and its $49.5k.

Fun to compare in 3 years.....

EugeneTheJeep

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Much of the obvious has been stated already. So I will make only two points:

1. IFS will drive like everything else on the road.

2. Jeeps are very different and fun to drive on road and incredibly fun to drive off road due to the solid front axle.

Bonus:

If you like cars with lane keep assist, please exit this forum immediately. Thank you.

Sponsored

qnet

First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 2 DR Jeep Wrangler Sport JL, 18 BMW M2
I still really like the Bronco. The lower to middle trims is what I was looking at, and I'm still hanging on to my reservation (barely).

I wanted a Big bend or base, and was pricing the Black diamond also.

For the novice off-roader, everyday person like me, the Bronco has everything standard that I've already spent money on my JL to have. LED lights, washout floors, and 8.4" touchscreen are some things I've bought, and are a combination of what the 3 trims mentioned above already have.

I would have bought some more wheels & tires either way so that's a wash. I have aux switches in my Jeep, which I would have optioned on the Bronco, and an anti-spin diff which on the Bronco I had the option of adding a rear locker (which is better from my understanding).

There are trade offs for both vehicles from my perspective. The Sasquatch package is really nice since you can add it to any trim, but it's pretty expensive on the lower trims. It mainly comes down to price right now for me.

As far as the off road stuff, I'll leave it to you guys. I'm going off road, but no where near the level as some of you.

Being able to take out my rear seat is a nice plus on my JL. If I can just get it back and have the steering issue sorted out, I'll be happy.

2021Nacho

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jlu Rubicon, 2015 Jk sport
Occupation
Semi-retired
I am also curious to see what happens with the resale value for the new bronco...compared to the Wrangler

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
I am also curious to see what happens with the resale value for the new bronco...compared to the Wrangler
It’s going to artificially high for a bit, maybe 3 yrs or so. Then I think it will be close, at least for the sas/badlands/wildtrak/FE models.

Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Much of the obvious has been stated already. So I will make only two points:

1. IFS will drive like everything else on the road.

2. Jeeps are very different and fun to drive on road and incredibly fun to drive off road due to the solid front axle.

Bonus:

If you like cars with lane keep assist, please exit this forum immediately. Thank you.
I agree with most of this except Jeep’s being fun to drive on the road...absolutely not. Two lanes up to moderate speeds maybe....high speed interstate....just about anything modern drives better....I’m not complaining, just realistic. A Wrangler is a compromise.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
The 2dr rubicon with basic options is over $50k. Most of the 4dr on lot are over $60k. My Bronco is a couple grand less than the Jeep option for option. Not to sure where the “expensive” Bronco comes from.
At least one other person has weighed in on this already, but my 2dr Rubi with steel bumpers, LEDs, and painted fenders (i.e. basic options) was just under $40k. Not sure where the “over $50k” 2dr Rubicon comes from.

Well you picked two things that basically a Model A is better than a JL. It will guaranteed be better on road drivability since the JL is horiffic and most likely quality will be better as Ford has always done a pretty good job and as you said the Jeep has set the bar nice and low.
You haven’t been following Ford too closely lately have you? Google Ford Explorer launch or F-150 recalls for some good reading...

What was the msrp? You can argue about what you paid all day long but the only true comparison is msrp. To get everything I ordered on the Bronco Jeeps msrp is over $52k, with the non color hardtop
This right here in bold may be the dumbest thing I’ve ever read. Why the fuck would I care what the MSRP is, if I just paid what I consider a good price for something? Like I said, I paid about $40k for my Jeep... jeep could say the MSRP is $250,000,000.00 for all I care, as long as I paid $40k I’m happy. Ford could say the MSRP of an equivalent Bronco is $1,870,000,000.00 but if the dealer lets me have it for $32k maybe I take that instead of the jeep. Well... if it was actually for sale maybe I would.

qnet

First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 2 DR Jeep Wrangler Sport JL, 18 BMW M2

rkan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 2018 VW GTI Autobahn
At least one other person has weighed in on this already, but my 2dr Rubi with steel bumpers, LEDs, and painted fenders (i.e. basic options) was just under $40k. Not sure where the “over $50k” 2dr Rubicon comes from.

You haven’t been following Ford too closely lately have you? Google Ford Explorer launch or F-150 recalls for some good reading...

This right here in bold may be the dumbest thing I’ve ever read. Why the fuck would I care what the MSRP is, if I just paid what I consider a good price for something? Like I said, I paid about $40k for my Jeep... jeep could say the MSRP is $250,000,000.00 for all I care, as long as I paid $40k I’m happy. Ford could say the MSRP of an equivalent Bronco is $1,870,000,000.00 but if the dealer lets me have it for $32k maybe I take that instead of the jeep. Well... if it was actually for sale maybe I would.
It's REALLY simple. You need a "common metric", a "common variable", a "static variable", for worst case comparison. Of course nobody (usually) pays full MSRP. But as others have pointed out, depending on location, sales so far that month, volume the dealership sells, your awesome negotiating skills, and a myriad of other factors, "what I paid", is an incomplete sample size. Maybe you a paid the median price. Maybe you paid the mean. or maybe you are an outlier? Now, there HAVE been multiple "What i paid" threads and people have reported anywhere between 2 and 10 percent under invoice. On one hand, that goes to my point about sales price volatility. But, even if you use those numbers to say the average sale price is 4.5 percent under invoice on a wrangler, and that is an average we all agree on, it doesn't matter. At the moment we have zero data points on the average sale price of a Bronco, so a comparison still cannot be made as to the better "value". The ONLY two constants we have for comparisons is MSRP. That is the reality of the facts we have on hand and the only current relevant discussion starting point on which is a better value.

But.....I'm recently off of surgery and full of oxy, so WTF do I know?🙂

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
most likely quality will be better as Ford has always done a pretty good job
You must have had a different Ford ownership experience than I had. I love the look of the Bronco, but my last Ford experience is what takes it off the table for me for now.
Sponsored