JL Wrangler vs New Ford Bronco

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Yes the bronco is pretty cool. They certainly took aim at the Jeep? I wonder if they had To build it on their own would it have been this rig that emerged? It’s a lot easier to say ok the Jeep has this let’s do this.......

However in my view ford pretty much abandoned us for 24 years. While Jeep continued. So will history repeat itself.? Like what Toyota did with the fj cruiser? Here today gone manana ? Or Nissan who had the old patrol then the Xterra then nada? And Chevy too ? Blazers then what? It still pisses me off that Chevy put the blazer name on what looks like a Mazda. Instead o taking a zr2 and building a really capable. SUV.

So will the bronco be here in 5 years 7 years? Etc.

to me ford is like your old hot girlfriend who dumps you then disappears and only shows up years later when you are doing good and wants back in. Do you let her knowing that she could do it all again?

Cazadores

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JK, 2017 JKU Sahara, 2018 Sting Gray JLR, 2020 Firecracker Willys JL
Yes the bronco is pretty cool. They certainly took aim at the Jeep? I wonder if they had To build it on their own would it have been this rig that emerged? It’s a lot easier to say ok the Jeep has this let’s do this.......

However in my view ford pretty much abandoned us for 24 years. While Jeep continued. So will history repeat itself.? Like what Toyota did with the fj cruiser? Here today gone manana ? Or Nissan who had the old patrol then the Xterra then nada? And Chevy too ? Blazers then what? It still pisses me off that Chevy put the blazer name on what looks like a Mazda. Instead o taking a zr2 and building a really capable. SUV.

So will the bronco be here in 5 years 7 years? Etc.

to me ford is like your old hot girlfriend who dumps you then disappears and only shows up years later when you are doing good and wants back in. Do you let her knowing that she could do it all again?
Exactly. I like the new Bronco, but can't help but think the likelihood of the entire lineup morphing into the "sport", which is essentially what the explorer was in the 90s, is fairly high.

My parents bought a 1992 Explorer, it was perfect, the right size, reasonable off road, just an altogether good concept and car. Look at the Explorer now, its huge, cramped, heavy, and has the off road agility even a Crown Victoria would be embarrassed of.

Again, I really like the 2 door bronco, and a lot of the features, I just don't trust Ford to not try to make it something for everyone, and in the process make it an uninspired grocery getting crossover for no one.

Last edited:

BroncoWranglerski

First Name
Jim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler
Vehicle Showcase
Who's going to buy the new Bronco? Guys like me who love the first generation Bronco. I do have a wrangler in my garage, it will stay in my garage. There's a good chance there will be a Bronco next to it sitting where the Cherokee is sitting right now. There is room for both of the icons of the off road.

remlemasi

First Name
Elmer
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I love the new Bronco, but I’m rolling my eyes a bit at the ”best-in-class” clearance and angle numbers since they are due almost entirely to the larger tiers. I.e. 11.6” for Bronco with 35” tires or 10.8” for Rubi with 33” tires. Anyone with a middle-school education can see that the Rubi has a 0.2” advantage with equal tire sizes (nominally speaking).

Does anyone already have the numbers or care to do the math to see how the angle numbers compare when both are on either 33” or 35” tires?

Yes, I understand the argument that they are comparing top-spec to top-spec, but this is an irrelevant comparison IMHO. It should be about the potentials of the platforms, not an artificial numbers battle based on who can offer the biggest tires out of the factory. Jeep could simply offer a 35” wheel package and reclaim the clearance title. What about the angles?

I’m not Team Bronco or Team Wrangler. Heck, I don’t even have a JL (I have a JT). I am just looking for fair comparison for curiosity‘s sake.

Last edited:

Advertisement

Advertisement