BroncoWranglerski

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler
Vehicle Showcase
Who's going to buy the new Bronco? Guys like me who love the first generation Bronco. I do have a wrangler in my garage, it will stay in my garage. There's a good chance there will be a Bronco next to it sitting where the Cherokee is sitting right now. There is room for both of the icons of the off road.
Sponsored

remlemasi

First Name
Elmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I love the new Bronco, but I’m rolling my eyes a bit at the ”best-in-class” clearance and angle numbers since they are due almost entirely to the larger tiers. I.e. 11.6” for Bronco with 35” tires or 10.8” for Rubi with 33” tires. Anyone with a middle-school education can see that the Rubi has a 0.2” advantage with equal tire sizes (nominally speaking).

Does anyone already have the numbers or care to do the math to see how the angle numbers compare when both are on either 33” or 35” tires?

Yes, I understand the argument that they are comparing top-spec to top-spec, but this is an irrelevant comparison IMHO. It should be about the potentials of the platforms, not an artificial numbers battle based on who can offer the biggest tires out of the factory. Jeep could simply offer a 35” wheel package and reclaim the clearance title. What about the angles?

I’m not Team Bronco or Team Wrangler. Heck, I don’t even have a JL (I have a JT). I am just looking for fair comparison for curiosity‘s sake.

Last edited:

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
I was crazy about the bronco before I got my JL, loved the frameless doors and no sport bar but the more I look at the bronco, the uglier it gets now that I have a Jeep. Maybe my JL just looks too good compared to a stock Bronco. Anyone else?

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
to me ford is like your old hot girlfriend who dumps you then disappears and only shows up years later when you are doing good and wants back in. Do you let her knowing that she could do it all again?
If hot means big ol titties then yup no questions asked, get that ass over here!

With that being said ... I will probably be buying a bronco in the next few years.

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
Yes the bronco is pretty cool. They certainly took aim at the Jeep? I wonder if they had To build it on their own would it have been this rig that emerged? It’s a lot easier to say ok the Jeep has this let’s do this.......

However in my view ford pretty much abandoned us for 24 years. While Jeep continued. So will history repeat itself.? Like what Toyota did with the fj cruiser? Here today gone manana ? Or Nissan who had the old patrol then the Xterra then nada? And Chevy too ? Blazers then what? It still pisses me off that Chevy put the blazer name on what looks like a Mazda. Instead o taking a zr2 and building a really capable. SUV.

So will the bronco be here in 5 years 7 years? Etc.

to me ford is like your old hot girlfriend who dumps you then disappears and only shows up years later when you are doing good and wants back in. Do you let her knowing that she could do it all again?
If the Bronco does go the way of the FJ did than that is good for everyone. Have you seen the prices for FJ cruisers now that they are out of production? Think of the investment opportunities.

Not to mention, the issues i have had with my Wrangler within the past 2 years of ownership.... I am willing to give the Bronco a chance. Nothing wrong with a little change up anyway.

The getting mad at Chevy for putting the Blazer name on a crossover..... Jeep did the same thing when they put 4 doors on the Wrangler too and added 18 inch rims with painted fender flares and roofs. Auto manufacturers do what they do inorder to make money and stay afloat.

Sponsored

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
The getting mad at Chevy for putting the Blazer name on a crossover..... Jeep did the same thing when they put 4 doors on the Wrangler too and added 18 inch rims with painted fender flares and roofs. Auto manufacturers do what they do inorder to make money and stay afloat.
Yea, they'll do anything, but that comparison is bogus. The new Blazer has so many differences to the old, the foremost being its unibody construction instead of body on frame. A JLU is the exact same vehicle as a JL just stretched.

SoCalWrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2019
Occupation
Engineer/ Real Estate Agent
Vehicle Showcase
Just put an order for the new new Bronco with the sasquatch package and will likely do a comparison with my JLUR once its received

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
The 2-door Wrangler thread on here has me seriously reconsidering waiting for a Bronco.

If I can just wait a little longer I can have both...........ugh.

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
Yea, they'll do anything, but that comparison is bogus. The new Blazer has so many differences to the old, the foremost being its unibody construction instead of body on frame. A JLU is the exact same vehicle as a JL just stretched.
I know it is a bit silly to compare them. All im saying is they messed with the original to make for more sales and yes the 4 door is almost as good at doing the offroading thing as the 2 door.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
I know it is a bit silly to compare them. All im saying is they messed with the original to make for more sales and yes the 4 door is almost as good at doing the offroading thing as the 2 door.
I know what you mean, it's all good.

Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
There's several ways the 4 door is better than the 2 door off road. The longer wheelbase is more stable, especially in off camber situations. The 4 door won't be as "tippy" and can be more stable.

The 2 vs 4 door debate for off road all depends on the type of trails, obstacles, etc. you're planning on using it for. I personally think the 2 doors are too tall with 3.5" lift and 37's. But the breakover angle is awesome!

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Good comparison video. Looked to me the stock badlands cleaned up just as well as those highly modified JL’s on the trail.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Good comparison video. Looked to me the stock badlands cleaned up just as well as those highly modified JL’s on the trail.
I think it is funny that they showed the Bronco climbing Hell's Gate. To bad they are three years late behind KIA. Hell's Gate... Pfff. Kia climbed it with a Sorento SUV. So the Bronco doing it is really not that impressive.

But hey, 5 years ago Subaru ran Hell's Revenge trail.

The real problem with the Bronco is in five or six years it will be just another beater with a heater. Just like a whipped out S-10 Blazer.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I found it interesting that those same guys were also showcasing a ranger/bronco setup that would accommodate up to 40's. At the same time though, it also showed the limits of short arm IFS when in the whoops. Still interesting

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
The old, first gen Bronco was a nice little rig (similar to a Scout, a bit more sohisticated than the same vintage CJ) - they morphed into an Elephant on stilts. If you want something that big might as well use a full size pickup. I strongly suspect the ”New Bronco” will do the same. Doesn’t do it for me-I’ll stay with Jeep, esp now that they’ve matured into a rig that has real doors and window😏
Sponsored