Sponsored

JL Wrangler vs New Ford Bronco

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Good! Bring it on, I'm rooting for Ford to bring the fight to Jeep. Unfortunately he said it will be Ford Ranger sized pretty much confirming no two door version.
I'm not a 2 door buyer .... but I do hope they offer a 2 door just to support the legacy.
Sponsored

OP
OP
JoKer

JoKer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Wrangler Sport
Good! Bring it on, I'm rooting for Ford to bring the fight to Jeep. Unfortunately he said it will be Ford Ranger sized pretty much confirming no two door version.
I'm not a 2 door buyer .... but I do hope they offer a 2 door just to support the legacy.
The only way to do it would be if Ford brought its Troller T4 from Brazil to the states. They had to shorten the T6 Ranger platform to accomodate the 2 door Troller so I dont think it will happen. There's going to be a lot of pissed off Ford guys I tell you that. Good for FCA the only one with the balls to continue building the 2 door off roader here.

JJ75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
Here's what the auto press thinks the Bronco has to do do compete with the Wrangler.

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/what-...compete-with-the-1790987359?rev=1484671844867
Article say if the Bronco's roof has just a few removable panels like the Renegade then it won't have a chance to truly compete with the Wrangler -- that fully removable top is just too huge part of what Makes the Wrangler so attractive to its buyers. Definitely agree with that but they don't consider that the JL Wrangler may not as fully removable a top as before and may end up being a bunch of removable panels too no?

Chanchan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LR Discovery
I think the Bronco is at greater risk for not having a removable roof than the Wrangler but it's possible both will be victims to the new convertible requirements.

Sponsored

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I don't see where they'd put a manual in the new Bronco, and without a manual it's like the 4Runner, dead to me.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
On the surface, the Wrangler's blueprint of a rugged, capable, configurable, body on frame SUV seems easy to copy but can the competitors capture the enthusiast's heart like the Wrangler has been able to do continuously for decades? That's the magic ingredient that you can't engineer in.
You're overlooking one major factor - reliability and build quality.

There are lots of us out here who might buy a new Wrangler if we have to, but having once owned a Wrangler really don't want to have to shoot our foot off again with Jeep's atrocious quality control and reliability record if there are other possibilities. Given the pricing, there's no reason a $50K SUV should have to ever see the inside of a dealership within the first year or two except for service.

As an example, if the new Bronco has removable roof panels, I bet theirs won't leak, nor will there be water leaks into the interior from the cowl or other areas.

Land Rover is another question altogether, as their reputation for defects and longevity is, if anything, even worse than Jeep's.

Dackel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU, Ram 1500
Bill - I think you overestimate Ford's reliability and build quality. Check forums on any of their vehicles in similar price range (ex, Mustang) and you will see plenty of body panel issues, exploding engines, cars catching on fire etc. Our Wrangler problems (leaky roofs and the like) are actually small potatoes compared to what I see over there. But i wont disagree with Jeep needs to fix these problems with the JL it is long overdue, and competition is a GREAT thing.

Joe Camel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Charger, Planning for JLU
The Jeep brand's overall reliability isn't anything to brag about but Ford's is even worse. Almost bottom of the heap bad. Only Dodge has more problems per 100 vehicles according to JD Power 2016 study. Luckily I haven't had much problems with mine *fingers crossed*

2016_vds_rank_1.jpg

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Its interesting as my family has mostly owned Ford trucks most of my life and have had very little in problems with them. Interesting to see them at the bottom of the pack. Its also interesting to see GM brands at the top.

Sponsored

Cal_JLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future JLU
Hard to put any stock in a study i have no clue what the variables are by which they are measuring the dependability of these vehicles.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Automotive News is reporting that the new Bronco will have solid axels. I would say thats pretty big news:

Watch out Jeep Wrangler, the 2021 Ford Bronco will feature sold axles! Supplier Dana has revealed that it's working on the driveline for the new Ford Bronco and that both the Bronco (and Ranger) will have "front and rear axles featuring our latest AdvanTEK gear technology." That means solid axle for both front and rear!

Dana also makes the solid axles for the Jeep Wrangler, and here's the kicker -- the Bronco's solid axles will also be made in the same new plant in Toledo, Ohio that will begin making axles for the next generation Wrangler (JL) later this year.
Link: http://www.bronco6g.com/forum/index.php?threads/report-new-ford-bronco-will-have-solid-axles.116/

Otto

First Name
Otto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sport (JK)

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU