JL Wrangler vs New Ford Bronco

Yogi1956

First Name
George
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
The Full Size Bronco 4 door wheelbase is 2” shorter than a JLUR and ground Clearance with 35’s is 11.5 vs 10.8 JLUR with 33’s. Jeep with 35’s would be 11.8? Maybe a worse ride in the Bronco with ground clearance almost a tie.

The Bronco in the right configuration (Badlands or 1st edition with sway disconnect) will be as capable as a JLUR and more HP bit it will still look like a grocery getter SUV other than the giant BRONCO badges.

Pricing seems to favor Ford but no surprise, no one buys a Jeep because it’s a value price wise.

Like the Rubicon, 90% will never see anything close to what they’re capable of (mine included) As long as there is no “Bronco wave” I’m good

Advertisement

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
Ford motors vary quite a lot. Some of the tinier eco boost engines (2.0 and smaller) I’ve heard of some issues with. But, the smaller bronco engine (2.3l) is used in the ecoboost mustang, and people boost them to INSANE levels with lots of success. I’m talking 400+ Horsepower with reliability. And the 2.7 ecoboost larger bronco engine is basically built like a diesel (It has a compacted graphite iron block like the 6.7 power stroke that is very strong) and it’s also a clean sheet design that is built from the ground up for a turbo. There are already F-150’s with 400k on this motor with almost no issues, and it is apparently one of Ford’s engines with the lowest warranty claims. The powertrain in the Bronco is excellent, I wouldn’t take a bet either way between the 3.6 JL and either Bronco engine. All 3 are excellent. (I don’t really know a whole lot about the 2.0 Jeep engine so I won’t speak to that one.)
Sounds very promising. I’m rooting for the new Bronco and I look forward to see how it pushes Jeep engineering in the future

roaniecowpony

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Bronco doors are frameless? Uh-oh...!

Between the shaking and rattling on the trails, and Ford quality, how long before those windows come off their rails...?
Should last about 6 JL visor lifetimes, 2 stock tierods, or one aluminum steering box. Take your pick.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
At the end of the day, The Bronco will be a nice off roader. We just will not see many of them on the trail. It is kind of like the Toyota 4Runner. Great off roader, but you just don't see many of them on the trail.

I was up running trails over the weekend. Saw a lot of Jeeps, A LOT of Jeeps, and one 4runner. This will be the same thing with the Bronco.

Outlawd

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 punk'n Rubicon unlimited, 1968 Plymouth GTX, 1969 Coronet R/T 440 BDS 871 blower 900hp
Not sure about the Bronco's on trails as we don't have many major trails around here but I'm starting to see a few on the road. I have no problem giving credit where credit is due and when it comes to overall looks of the Bronco well lets just say there is no credit due.....they just don't have that rough and tough go anywhere kind of look. jmo

Lives2fish

First Name
Jeremy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport JLU - Stingray
Not sure about the Bronco's on trails as we don't have many major trails around here but I'm starting to see a few on the road. I have no problem giving credit where credit is due and when it comes to overall looks of the Bronco well lets just say there is no credit due.....they just don't have that rough and tough go anywhere kind of look. jmo
Those are all the Bronco Sport. They are starting production on the real Bronco literally today, May 3rd. The expected delivery is around June at the earliest, but at their rate, it will be June 2022.

Last edited:

Goin2drt

Reaction score
Kentucky (formerly Peoples Republik of Kalifornia)
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Aren't you referring to the Sport? Other than a few production vehicles and around Mich. there aren't any Bronco's out yet. If yes they I agree the Sport is a small SUV and looks just like the small Land Rover boxy thing.

Sorry @Lives2fish I was typing the same thing at the same time.

Goin2drt

Reaction score
Kentucky (formerly Peoples Republik of Kalifornia)
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Should last about 6 JL visor lifetimes, 2 stock tierods, or one aluminum steering box. Take your pick.
Feel free to throw in the first Uconnect issue, Frame weld, and a few others. Also I am sure you can get your $80K Bronco to get delivered to the dealer with rust and sand piled in the crevices but don't worry that is just a "Jeep thing" no big deal it is "normal" the dealership is "great" and handling it by having the customer surface sand and coat the rusty area ;) :LOL:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Feel free to throw in the first Uconnect issue, Frame weld, and a few others. Also I am sure you can get your $80K Bronco to get delivered to the dealer with rust and sand piled in the crevices but don't worry that is just a "Jeep thing" no big deal it is "normal" the dealership is "great" and handling it by having the customer surface sand and coat the rusty area ;) :LOL:
Ford is an expert in launching all-new vehicles and then in a panic ordering owners to stop driving them due to fire risk. 😫

If I were to leave Jeep because of “poor quality,” there would be no point in going to Ford looking for it. I’d just keep driving to the Toyota dealership.

displayname

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I think Ford made a branding mistake with the Bronco Sport rolling out. Between this forum and people I know personally, I've lost count of the number of times I've heard someone dismiss the new Bronco because they saw a Bronco Sport in the wild and basically said "that's it?"

So many people are thinking the Bronco got watered down to another midsize eggUV, and now that's what they associate with the modern Bronco name. They will probably take notice as the big boy hits the streets, but for now Ford tainted their own audience before they even started.

Last edited:

twisty

First Name
bob
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Guys we need to stop fighting lol. The jeep JL was/is a huge success. It is a beautiful and capable jeep. Hell of a jeep.

The Bronco seems very nice. It will likely be a big hit as well. Ive said shit about its ifs before, but isnt it nice to have the option? to be able to buy a serious IFS crawler?. They both will have their pros/cons and youll have the choice as a consumer.

Not like that crappy new overpriced defender. Ford and Jeep giving us real options. And both of them American engineering. Feel proud.

Jeeps will get even better too.
I dont know that serious crawler and IFS go together. lol. The bronco will never be taken serious with IFS and tech. Now if they go super wide we might be talking, and it appears ford is experimenting with that. But reasonable width axles just wont cut it comparably and the reason they had to go GOAT to cover up its inadequacies.

The bronco will be fun as hell going fast though...but so will the 392. I just wish the bronco was better looking....not to mention on the show room floor...like 2 years ago. lol

twisty

First Name
bob
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I think Ford made a branding mistake with the Bronco Sport rolling out. Between this forum and people I know personally, I've lost count of the number of times I've heard someone dismiss the new Bronco because they saw a Bronco Sport in the wild and basically said "that's it?"

So many people are thinking the Bronco got watered down to another midsize eggUV, and now that's what they associate with the modern Bronco name. They will probably take notice as the big boy hits the streets, but for now Ford tainted their own audience before they even started.
That and the fact that it's basically or actually a Ranger platform.

The only thing uglier then the sport bronco is the bronco. lol

I predict the bronco will last as long as the previous REAL bronco....if ford is lucky.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

Naming the two vehicles Bronco definitely carries some risk.

I don’t know if naming the smaller crossover Bronco Sport was a mistake. But it certainly creates confusion. Youtubers have to constantly keep making the distinction between the two. No doubt because they find their viewers keep getting the two confused.

Q1 sales shows that Bronco Sport is cannibalizing into sales of Escape, as well as other small/midsize Ford trucks. Perhaps a degree of cannibalization was inevitable given that Bronco Sport is based on Escape. But it will be interesting to see what happens when Bronco finally reaches showrooms.

Ford has done as much upfront marketing on Bronco as any automaker possibly can before a launch. Bronco is likely going to generate a lot of traffic into Ford dealerships, and attract a good chunk of people who normally would not have considered buying a Ford. All of which is good for sales.

But attracting a totally new clientele is a double-edge sword. Ford has its staunchly loyal base that is familiar with Ford products and with Ford dealers. Loyal customers are willing to put up with quirks those new to the brand are simply not. Chances are, Ford and its dealers will find themselves as flat-footed dealing with these new customers as Jeep is.

Ford is hoping that making Bronco into a separate sub-brand will keep new customers happy, as well as those traditional Ford owners happy. We will have to wait and see. That will be a hard balancing act to keep up.

My prediction is: in 5 years Ford will only be selling Bronco 4-door and Bronco Sport; Escape will be gone, and a few years after that Bronco 2-door will be gone too.

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Gr.Wagoneer, '98 TJ, '21 2-Dr Rubi
Ford has done as much upfront marketing on Bronco as any automaker possibly can before a launch. Bronco is likely going to generate a lot of traffic into Ford dealerships, and attract a good chunk of people who normally would not have considered buying a Ford. All of which is good for sales.
Thus far all the Bronco represents is a concept vehicle with marketing hype. I am optimistic that the vehicle, when they actually build one for and deliver one to the public, will be good. The empty marketing is getting old at this point. Maybe just me.

four low

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I think the Bronco designation should have been reserved for the
actual Bronco ; the Sport model causes confusion and dilution.
Too late now, but the Sport could have been named the Pinto, since Maverick has been taken by the upcoming unibody compact pickup.

Advertisement

Extreme Terrain

Advertisement