JL Wrangler vs JT Gladiator Pickup - Differences and Crawling Comparison Test

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Here's my dumb question of the day, how does the Gladiator get 3000lbs more tow capacity than a JLU? Same engine. How does that work?
It's not just about the engine. The extended wheelbase and redesigned suspension are a huge factor. The only changes under the hood are the additional cooling for the engine.
Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Here's my dumb question of the day, how does the Gladiator get 3000lbs more tow capacity than a JLU? Same engine. How does that work?
I put down a link that answers this exact question a few posts up.

Reactions: aai

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
It's not just about the engine. The extended wheelbase and redesigned suspension are a huge factor. The only changes under the hood are the additional cooling for the engine.
Better cooling and brakes were huge factors according to an article I read. They even made the grille openings larger to get more air in to the radiator.
It's also why the proposed diesel variant will actually have slightly less tow capacity ratings, an intercooler adds more heat up front which reduces the overall rating since they use the same front end (same amount of air coming in to the radiator as the gas model).

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
I just can't get over the rear doors angling so narrow at the bottom.. Its like they were too cheap to develop new doors they used those off the wrangler. Looks ridiculous.

rogisilva

First Name
Igor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.Rotadyne.com.au
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR OB
Occupation
Design Development Manager
I just can't get over the rear doors angling so narrow at the bottom.. Its like they were too cheap to develop new doors they used those off the wrangler. Looks ridiculous.
This was explained somewhere. Doors were purposely kept the same as JL to make it easier for aftermarket doors. This way doors and door based mods for the JL fit the JT by default and you won't need to wait for JT specific doors. Helps increase the aftermarket range.

Reactions: aai

Sponsored

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
These vehicles seem to be going after 2 very different market segments, and doing a great job of addressing the needs of each. I anticipate a lot of Wrangler owners trying to justify their $50k purchase by saying how much more important approach and departure angle is. And I anticipate a lot of Gladiator buyers will argue that towing capacity makes this the much more obvious choice. But in reality they are neither intended to, nor will they, compete with each other. Different vehicles, different buyers, meets the need of each. And I'll happily wave a couple fingers at an Gladiator I pass on the road.

(and not solely because from head-on, no freaking way I could tell which one is driving towards me) :jk:
Totally agree. I have zero use for a pickup and would never buy one but love my JLUR.

aai

First Name
aai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL 2.0 Rubicon : '20 JT 3.6 Overland
Vehicle Showcase
This was explained somewhere. Doors were purposely kept the same as JL to make it easier for aftermarket doors. This way doors and door based mods for the JL fit the JT by default and you won't need to wait for JT specific doors. Helps increase the aftermarket range.
definitely like the idea of just purchasing one set of tube doors. Throw the front set on our 2dr as needed. I can see the aftermarket using that dead spot on the rear as an area to incorporate a ladder or step up for upper roof racks and stuff.

fullsizeoutput_809.jpeg

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
That's a lame PR excuse. FCA wanted to keep production costs down by sharing as much as possible with JL to boost margins. Sharing the body from c-pillar forward achieves that.

aai

First Name
aai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL 2.0 Rubicon : '20 JT 3.6 Overland
Vehicle Showcase
better protection for the little ones, possible crumple zone, more structural rigidity? Who knows, just release the damn thing. Who cares if the side nets are on the rear doors or not lol

jeep-gladiator-pickup-08.jpg

2020-jeep-gladiator_100680528_l.jpg

Sponsored

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
I read that one of the major design update they’ve done to the JT to reach that towing capacity is to open up the grille even further for better radiator cooling, and since the openings are the same size, just the trim insert is thinner and the the mesh pattern is different I imagine this is something you can replace yourself.

Here is the article that goes in depth on this issue:
https://jalopnik.com/the-engineering-behind-the-jeep-gladiators-tow-rating-1833657453

53530021-444F-49BD-B71A-31552DD779CB.png

788DEE41-93FD-4333-9465-4297FADE9C66.jpeg
Thank you for this. I've been trying to see just where they opened up the grill and couldn't see it until now.

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
Wow. The hate is real with these folks. Nobody is forcing you to buy one or even like the thing. This is a truck that shares the same dna. Get over it. Yeah the breakover angle sucks, so does the JL tow capacity. Guess what, pros and cons to both designs. Get over it.

rogisilva

First Name
Igor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.Rotadyne.com.au
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR OB
Occupation
Design Development Manager
That's a lame PR excuse. FCA wanted to keep production costs down by sharing as much as possible with JL to boost margins. Sharing the body from c-pillar forward achieves that.
I would say its a win-win scenario more than a lame PR excuse. No doubt using the same door will keep costs lower, and of course FCA 100% new that. As they also definitely know that it would also make production easier and faster, it would also make replacement parts easier and make it easier to provide better customers service (LOL - but theoretically still true). On top of that you also get the benefit of already having a decent range of aftermarket parts from launch. This also helps aftermarket companies who now can focus on making more doors and parts instead of making sure that they have the same door for each and then balance stock with demand.

When you pit that up against with: "If we make the door square some people will think its nicer" the choice is pretty obvious. Changing the shape of the door (or any part really) just for the sake of aesthetics when it doesn't have to be changed is just a straight up poor design choice from almost every perspective.

badtux

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Rubicon
In a couple years if/when they offer an extra cab with a shorter wheel base, I might be a buyer. I'll keep my JLR till then. As is, it's just too damn long.
Not likely, they'll offer an extra cab with a longer bed, perhaps, but nobody buys short wheelbase pickups anymore. For one thing, a shorter wheelbase would impact the towing.
Sponsored