Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
There is zero clearance on the Bronco wheels. That thing would get stuck in a heartbeat... Good thing the Wrangler is there to drag it out...
Well, unless you opt for the "class leading" articulation via the sway disconnect.
Jeep Wrangler JL JL Wrangler vs Bronco rigs side by side look 20201023_102215
Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladaitor Sport S
it looks like a Mini Cooper Countryman with larger wheels.
That's basically what the Sport is... it's a unibody version aimed at the Cherokee.

Which I actually have to respect that Ford didn't bow to the soccer moms and numb down the actual Bronco.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladaitor Sport S
Well, unless you opt for the "class leading" articulation via the sway disconnect.
20201023_102215.gif
Stock for stock it has better RTI numbers and I believe longer wheel travel by design just to say it has it. I mean the Jeeps aren't particularly great out of the box either even with the sway bar disconnected.

Problem #1 is that it's stock for stock and hardly anyone who cares is going to leave it stock.

Problem #2 is that an IFS loses articulation and wheel travel when you lift while the Jeep gains just by replacing the control arms with something that has a more flexible joint.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah but isn't that the appeal? Jeeps are a dime a dozen... they may be recognizable but they're equally ubiquitous even in major cities where almost nobody wheels them. The Bronco is still a unique look much like the FJ and it will still be new. Barring limitations in how many can be produced, I would not be shocked at all if first year sales compete with the Wrangler and eat a bit of that pie.

No different than a Jeep and it's just the nature of a new vehicle. I mean the original JL bumper options were just JK bumpers with adapter plates and the real lift kits took a fair bit of time to hit market too. I can guarantee the aftermarket for the Bronco will pop quickly.
Actually my point was that the Bronco does not look unique. Its basic styling doesn't stand out. The newness will be a draw, but that doesn't stand the test of time. It is not an iconic look. Is it retro? Somewhat, but its gene pool is a line of vehicles that didn't particularly stand out, either. Remember, the Bronco was a shameless copy (Ford admitted that when they first made it) of the International Scout, so it can't even claim to be an original, although the marketing folks will do their darndest to make us think so.

I'm sure it will eat a bit of the Wrangler's pie, initially, but the Wrangler's pie is huge and has plenty of room to give and still be profitable.

Even the FJ has more unique styling than the Bronco, and it didn't make it long-term. It actually didn't eat into Jeep sales, either.

The Bronco looks like a cool SUV. The Jeep looks like....A Jeep.

Of course this is all speculation and opinion.

Here's a fun fact: Harley Davidson actually went to Jeep to learn how they did the Jeep Jamborees and other things to enhance their owner experience and deepen the iconic status of the brand. Jeep is not only the most experienced at this, but they have written the book on it.

I hope Ford has a long successful run with the Bronco, though. Their success is good for America. But it is not an icon and it is not an original. But it does look like it will be an awesome off-road and fun machine.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Stock for stock it has better RTI numbers and I believe longer wheel travel by design just to say it has it. I mean the Jeeps aren't particularly great out of the box either even with the sway bar disconnected.

Problem #1 is that it's stock for stock and hardly anyone who cares is going to leave it stock.

Problem #2 is that an IFS loses articulation and wheel travel when you lift while the Jeep gains just by replacing the control arms with something that has a more flexible joint.
I occasionally can't help but to jest a bit, but I credit Ford for filling a gap in the marketplace vs trying to go full head on with Jeep.

Jeep prioritizes offroad capability. They continually make improvements to on road manners, but never in any way that would compromise its unpaved prowess. This results in an overall less sophisticated and refined driving experience, than one would find in every other vehicle lot.

Ford answered the cry of those who want the rugged look and the Lexus ride. So priority was put to the on road, and as much offroad prowess they could fit before taking away that refined feel.

Here's a couple of pictures analogies for the Bronco and Jeep:

Bronco:
Jeep Wrangler JL JL Wrangler vs Bronco rigs side by side look hhgddtff

Jeep:
Jeep Wrangler JL JL Wrangler vs Bronco rigs side by side look gyjhijk

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I occasionally can't help but to jest a bit, but I credit Ford for filling a gap in the marketplace vs trying to go full head on with Jeep.

Jeep prioritizes offroad capability. They continually make improvements to on road manners, but never in any way that would compromise its unpaved prowess. This results in an overall less sophisticated and refined driving experience, than one would find in every other vehicle lot.

Ford answered the cry of those who want the rugged look and the Lexus ride. So priority was put to the on road, and as much offroad prowess they could fit before taking away that refined feel.

Here's a couple of pictures analogies for the Bronco and Jeep:

Bronco:

Jeep:
LOL!

I think you may have nailed it with your analysis of priorities. I hadn't thought of it this way.

And I don't fault Ford for that one bit. I think they have to appeal to someone for whom something is missing or a shortcoming in the Jeep. Something that would tilt the balance toward the Bronco. On-road manners just makes sense. And just as I think Jeep has come a long way and actually made the JL comfortable, Ford has made the Bronco quite capable off-road, too.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
LOL!

I think you may have nailed it with your analysis of priorities. I hadn't thought of it this way.

And I don't fault Ford for that one bit. I think they have to appeal to someone for whom something is missing or a shortcoming in the Jeep. Something that would tilt the balance toward the Bronco. On-road manners just makes sense. And just as I think Jeep has come a long way and actually made the JL comfortable, Ford has made the Bronco quite capable off-road, too.
My wife had a huge interest in a 2 door Punk'n Rubicon, until she drove mine back when it had a 2" lift and 35's. She said it was the funnest vehicle she ever drove, but her complaints were all stemmed from the reality of SFA. She also wasn't into the part time 4wd and it's required increase of drivers involvement.

After watching the Bronco mini movie reveal, she wanted to reserve one. She's the perfect candidate for one. On road ride and comfort is more important, not wanting to do anything real crazy off road, it has the push button set it and forget it George Forman 4wd, and the a-pillar grab handle is down lower.

She has since shown more of an interest in hitting some trails with me. I guess it's more appealing to her if she's behind the wheel, rather than riding shotgun. Win win for all, as long as they put out a great product after all this time they've had.

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co
jeep does a much better job at keeping the winch out of harms way and doesn’t lose approach angl. I think that’s a bigger advantage than people are realizing

Sponsored

Endless Summer

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 AMG E63S
I'm a 2020 Rubi owner and I'd buy a Bronco in a heartbeat. LOL @ people deciding before the first one is sold whether it's going to be iconic or not. Agree on the prioritization of comfort vs. offroad. Jeep makes no major sacrifices. The Rubi is great around town but at 75mph on the freeway it's loud AF, gets blown around all over and has jerk steer / death wobble, wanders, etc..... If you could get 80% of the offroad prowess with 80% improvement in on road manners and tech - you'll have a market.. And they will.. I won't buy one - happy with my Jeep - but I would if I was shopping them heads up and so will a lot of non-hardcores. If you're on this forum - Bronco probably isn't for you. But as mentioned earlier in the thread - the amount of stock mall crawl jeeps you see around town is incredible. there will be a big market for bronco as long as it's not a massive pile of shit coming out of the gate.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm a 2020 Rubi owner and I'd buy a Bronco in a heartbeat. LOL @ people deciding before the first one is sold whether it's going to be iconic or not. Agree on the prioritization of comfort vs. offroad. Jeep makes no major sacrifices. The Rubi is great around town but at 75mph on the freeway it's loud AF, gets blown around all over and has jerk steer / death wobble, wanders, etc..... If you could get 80% of the offroad prowess with 80% improvement in on road manners and tech - you'll have a market.. And they will.. I won't buy one - happy with my Jeep - but I would if I was shopping them heads up and so will a lot of non-hardcores. If you're on this forum - Bronco probably isn't for you. But as mentioned earlier in the thread - the amount of stock mall crawl jeeps you see around town is incredible. there will be a big market for bronco as long as it's not a massive pile of shit coming out of the gate.
If it is going to be an icon, it'll have to be years from now. That's what iconic means. You can't just create an icon. It has to be based on something original, and have a significant historical story. The Bronco's biggest obstacle to that is that it started as a bold-faced copy of the International Scout. Harley Davidson is iconic. Corvette is iconic. Mustang is Iconic. Ford GT is iconic. Jeep is iconic. FJ Landcruiser is iconic. Land Rover is iconic.

Help me understand how Bronco is Iconic. It could possibly get there, but that takes years. Ford wants you to think it is iconic. Maybe they succeeded there?

My Jeep doesn't have death wobble and does fine at 75mph as I comfortably sip on a coffee and eat corn nuts while listening to classic rock on the Alpine on the 22 our ride to Moab. Ok, so it doesn't have air conditioned seats. That's no problem because I don't need to smell my own balls.

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Wrangler vs Bronco rigs side by side look 1604612827041
Jeep Wrangler JL JL Wrangler vs Bronco rigs side by side look 1604612861485

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
Some photos I took today in Michigan. Couldn't resist taking a few side by side photos of the Bronco 2 door "Black Diamond Edition" (Not sure what that means) next to my JLR.

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Wrangler vs Bronco rigs side by side look IMG_0554.JPG

Is that the full fledged Bronco? I realize I own a JL Rubicon, but that is a bad look for the Bronco. It looks very feminine in comparison to the Jeep. The body simply lacks definition and looks like it will blend in with the CUV/SUV crowd.

Endless Summer

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 AMG E63S
If it is going to be an icon, it'll have to be years from now. That's what iconic means. You can't just create an icon. It has to be based on something original, and have a significant historical story. The Bronco's biggest obstacle to that is that it started as a bold-faced copy of the International Scout. Harley Davidson is iconic. Corvette is iconic. Mustang is Iconic. Ford GT is iconic. Jeep is iconic. FJ Landcruiser is iconic. Land Rover is iconic.

Help me understand how Bronco is Iconic. It could possibly get there, but that takes years. Ford wants you to think it is iconic. Maybe they succeeded there?

My Jeep doesn't have death wobble and does fine at 75mph as I comfortably sip on a coffee and eat corn nuts while listening to classic rock on the Alpine on the 22 our ride to Moab. Ok, so it doesn't have air conditioned seats. That's no problem because I don't need to smell my own balls.

I am not suggesting it will be iconic. I was suggesting it's silly to ensure it won't be before it lauches. Carry on.
Sponsored