JL Wrangler Sport or JK Rubicon

Rkcmike63

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rav4 and 2002 HD RKC
Looking to get my first Jeep. Needs to be 4 doors as it will be used on weekends with the family. Trying to limit myself to around $35,000 to $40,000 tops. I like the new Rubicons but can’t see paying that much so I’m torn. Most of my driving will probably be on pavement but weekends we plan on doing some trails and camping. I do want to get a leather interior and the larger uconnect radio/nav unit. My question is would you prefer a 2018 or newer Sport/Sahara or a JK Rubicon? Trying to decide...
Sponsored

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
For the usage you are describing I would go with the JL (sport). That's what I have and I love it.

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
If you are looking for the family truckster with some trail capability, the Sport with a LSD will serve you well. I have to admit, my TJ Sport with a 44 LSD would go anywhere my friends with 4 wheelers would go. I was a little brutal on it though.

A Sahara will give you the best street manners with the ability to tackle fire roads and normal trails.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
sport will be the only in your price range. now, you may have to think what options you want and can live without. i looked at a sport s with all the bells and whistle. sticker was knocking on the door of $40k. add ttl = $47k. if you can live without the bells and whistles, then look into a base model sport. they are starting around $35k. i went with a base model sport 2 door with 4 options (8 spd auto, a/c, xm, hard top) got it for $32k and i love keeping it plain n simple. didnt miss the bells and whistles.

Francis405

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue 2 door Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.6
Looking to get my first Jeep. Needs to be 4 doors as it will be used on weekends with the family. Trying to limit myself to around $35,000 to $40,000 tops. I like the new Rubicons but can’t see paying that much so I’m torn. Most of my driving will probably be on pavement but weekends we plan on doing some trails and camping. I do want to get a leather interior and the larger uconnect radio/nav unit. My question is would you prefer a 2018 or newer Sport/Sahara or a JK Rubicon? Trying to decide...
I was having a similar dilema in August of 2019, but I wanted a 2 Door Rubican, Ideally.

I'm amazed at the resale value on the JL Rubican both 2 and 4 door.

When I looked at them in 2019, one of my friends was looking for a 4 door JL Rubican and I was looking for a 2 door.

He found his first, and was trading in an 18 wide body Hellcat. I was with him when he got it and he worked the deal first before telling them about the trade. He got his 4 door rubican for $43, 300, so you're not far off.

My deal on my 2 door 2018 Jeep Rubican was even better. It was used, but only had 2500 miles. I got it for $36, 000 even. I saw an almost duplicate one on Cars.com the other day asking $42,000, same year and color.

I got really lucky.

I would get the JL Rubican. In the long run , I think it will be a better value. You should be able to find a lightly used one or a new one with incentives to get you to around 40k or a few thousand higher , if you look hard enough.

Sponsored

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
I was in a simlar situation as you. I couldn't talk myself into spending $40k+ on a vehicle given my age and financial situation. I went pretty base on my build. Requested delivery March, build start January.

$34k, before tax.

Only add ons:
LSD
Hardtop

One important thing to keep in mind, if you have family and will be using all 4 doors often. The manual locks could be a pain for you. I'm single with no kids and i'm taking the rear seat out. I'm essentially only getting the Unlimited for extra camping space and a place to sleep, but I've heard from a few forum posts that the 4 doors manual locks are a pain if you use all the doors regularly.

I've never owed a Jeep, but my Aunt has been driving Jeeps her whole life and she says the Sport is extremely capable. She had a TJ Rubi and now a JK Sport. She takes the Sport on pretty rigorous trails up in CO, and I've seen photos of her rock crawling it.

The nice thing about Jeeps, you can pull the trigger on Sport and always upgrade it to your liking as you progress and do more offroading. You might not know how much offroad capability you need at the moment, but you can learn the limitations and what you need later. I figured it's best to start small and grow, than have a "rig" that's more capable than I need which would be a waste of my money. If you wanted that front Dana 44 and lockers, just do upgrades later!

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Wrangler Sport or JK Rubicon Capture.PNG

Last edited:

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
I paid $43,600 (+ taxes)for a 2021 JLU Rubicon. Only options were auto and 3.6 eTorque, hard top, and alpine audio. So like was stated, you aren’t much higher than $40k. It is good to have a budget of course, but deciding what options you want or need can also help with a decision. Some options are easier to add down the road while others finically make more sense from the factory.
Both options will make you happy, but when spending that much I would want something new!

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
For your use the Sport. Price is roughly the same, it'll be newer, rides better on street and will offer better options to go with an improved interior as is. Even your usage offroad the Sport is still overkill.

JerseyMark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Willys Sport, 2019 JLU Sahara
If you dont mind manual locks/windows, A Willy’s Sport would be well within your budget.
Willys sport package will give you bigger Rubicon brakes, Rubicon Shocks, LSD and 32” MT tires and is about $1500 more than a base sport

flharleycop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2018 Ford Raptor, past 79 CJ5, 86 CJ7, 11 JKU
Occupation
Retired
I have a JK and JL I would go with the JL and look at not getting leather, check out Bartech seat covers they have molle attachments which are way more useful than leather.

Sponsored

flharleycop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2018 Ford Raptor, past 79 CJ5, 86 CJ7, 11 JKU
Occupation
Retired
If you are out west or willing to travel call Ken Shurtleff at Peterson’s in Idaho his deals are great. I got a loaded 2020 Rubi ordered as I wanted OTD 43,000 His number is (208) 741-1289‬.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
My question is would you prefer a 2018 or newer Sport/Sahara or a JK Rubicon? Trying to decide...
You would prefer to save up money and get a brand new base model Wrangler that’s optioned and affordable. That’s what you would do. But will you do what you would do?

OP
OP

Rkcmike63

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rav4 and 2002 HD RKC
You would prefer to save up money and get a brand new base model Wrangler that’s optioned and affordable. That’s what you would do. But will you do what you would do?
Exactly, I really want a new Rubicon but unless they drop the price a good bit and offer zero finance it will be tough!

OP
OP

Rkcmike63

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rav4 and 2002 HD RKC
If you are out west or willing to travel call Ken Shurtleff at Peterson’s in Idaho his deals are great. I got a loaded 2020 Rubi ordered as I wanted OTD 43,000 His number is (208) 741-1289‬.
Thanks but I’m East coast.. supposedly there is one dealership in North Georgia and another in Lakeland, FL.

OP
OP

Rkcmike63

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rav4 and 2002 HD RKC
I have a JK and JL I would go with the JL and look at not getting leather, check out Bartech seat covers they have molle attachments which are way more useful than leather.
Thanks, I’ll check them out.
Sponsored