Sponsored

JL Wrangler speakers sizes and aftermarket options

iki4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 328i Sportline
Im not upgrading to the Alpine system, so I wanted to know what speaker sizes go into the JL? I assume its a set of 4, with 2 6.5in going into the soundbar, and 2 6.5in going into the dash. Is this right?
Also, anyone have recommendations for aftermarket speakers? Ive used Infinity reference in the past and have liked their audio output.
Sponsored

chuck h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Im not upgrading to the Alpine system, so I wanted to know what speaker sizes go into the JL? I assume its a set of 4, with 2 6.5in going into the soundbar, and 2 6.5in going into the dash. Is this right?
Also, anyone have recommendations for aftermarket speakers? Ive used Infinity reference in the past and have liked their audio output.
I decided not to wait for the JL, and bought a JK a couple of weeks ago, and I am getting my aftermarket install done today. As for size, I will be surprised if the size is any different in the JL's.

I am not sure what you are looking to spend, but I went with the Alpine ILX-207 head unit, Hertz ESK 165.5's components in the front, and Hertz ECX 165.5's in the soundbar, and a custom made box with 2 10 inch subs. This is costing me about $2,000 installed, and that is not including the amps, which I already own from an old system I pulled out of my previous wrangler.

I went to two high end shops in the area, the one location recommended the Hertz, the other use Focal. I did a google search on comparisons between the two, and the response was overwhelming supportive of Hertz over Focal. Primarily because of the tweeter capabilities, and how harsh the tweeters can be in Focal. I have found that it is hard to get good midbass in a wrangler, and it can sound too tinny, so an overpowering tweeter to me seems like a mistake in a wrangler.

I will let you know how it turns out when I get it installed.

OP
OP

iki4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 328i Sportline
I decided not to wait for the JL, and bought a JK a couple of weeks ago, and I am getting my aftermarket install done today. As for size, I will be surprised if the size is any different in the JL's.

I am not sure what you are looking to spend, but I went with the Alpine ILX-207 head unit, Hertz ESK 165.5's components in the front, and Hertz ECX 165.5's in the soundbar, and a custom made box with 2 10 inch subs. This is costing me about $2,000 installed, and that is not including the amps, which I already own from an old system I pulled out of my previous wrangler.

I went to two high end shops in the area, the one location recommended the Hertz, the other use Focal. I did a google search on comparisons between the two, and the response was overwhelming supportive of Hertz over Focal. Primarily because of the tweeter capabilities, and how harsh the tweeters can be in Focal. I have found that it is hard to get good midbass in a wrangler, and it can sound too tinny, so an overpowering tweeter to me seems like a mistake in a wrangler.

I will let you know how it turns out when I get it installed.

Thank you for the reply. I would be totally in for a Sub, but with a baby coming our way next year, the sub is out of the question for sure. I dont want to replace the head unit. Im just looking for speakers in the front and soundbar. Ive gone with Infinity Reference in the past and have enjoyed them. If speaker sizes are the same in the JL as in the JK, I'm leaning towards a speaker that provides clean bass in the speaker itself. I dont want to spend anything over $3-400 on a set of 4.
That said, Your Hertz choice seems like a wise one. Keep me updated, as I may go your route with the speakers. If I get the same Hertz speakers as you, would I need an Amp or are they complete plug and play?
Congrats on your new ride.

Newbiejeeperjl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unlimited JL
Thank you for the reply. I would be totally in for a Sub, but with a baby coming our way next year, the sub is out of the question for sure. I dont want to replace the head unit. Im just looking for speakers in the front and soundbar. Ive gone with Infinity Reference in the past and have enjoyed them. If speaker sizes are the same in the JL as in the JK, I'm leaning towards a speaker that provides clean bass in the speaker itself. I dont want to spend anything over $3-400 on a set of 4.
That said, Your Hertz choice seems like a wise one. Keep me updated, as I may go your route with the speakers. If I get the same Hertz speakers as you, would I need an Amp or are they complete plug and play?
Congrats on your new ride.
Iā€™m looking to do the same thing your doing, buying speakers only, but more because of keeping things looking low key. I donā€™t want someone breaking into my Jeep because they see a massive subwoofer.
Have you heard the Hertz speakers or are you going by reviews only? Just curious.

OP
OP

iki4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 328i Sportline
Iā€™m looking to do the same thing your doing, buying speakers only, but more because of keeping things looking low key. I donā€™t want someone breaking into my Jeep because they see a massive subwoofer.
Have you heard the Hertz speakers or are you going by reviews only? Just curious.
I haven't looked into the Hertz. I actually had a brand new set of JBL GTO 638's lying around at home that had good reviews so Im just going to install those.

Sponsored

chuck h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Very happy with the hertz I went with. Nice deep, smooth sound.

vilacr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL
If any of you decide to install an amp or powered sub can you please post the color of the speaker wires.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Hertz are really good, and Iā€™ve worked with a few friendā€™s builds with them, however you need a new Amp to properly drive them in a JK, because the stock amp is optimized for 2ohm speakers which is a PITA. That kinda limits you to Infinity for good drop-in options (better than the Kickers) for relatively inexpensive outlay (there are better 2ohm options, but they arenā€™t cheap, and at that point just pay for the Alpine upgrade IMO, or get a new Amp too).

Not sure about the JLā€™s amp setup yet, havenā€™t had time to research it yet (not looking to upgrade ā€˜til next fall, and havenā€™t seen any deatiled JL Wrangler audio reviews yet); so be sure to find out before you spend your money, because with the stock amp you may not be able to drive good speakers properly, and will be wasting money, or at least not getting the most out of them.

JLUColorado

First Name
Ambez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU , 2017 GC Limited
So I have been trying to find a Sub to take the bass pressure off the standard speakers, I figure this is a entry level way to go without tearing speakers out. Which I am avoiding at all cost. I was searching for something that is low profile, so that I can maintain space, but was also discreet, so I do not advertise a good looking subwoofer (especially when there is nothing preventing someone from getting in the car in the summer.). Here is where I landed, except like all things, nothing is available for JL...

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_663NEOPOD/Select-Increments-Neo-Pod.html?tp=61653

JLUSomer

First Name
Somer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUS
The speakers in dash and soundbar are 4" JL
Sponsored