Rubi D

Rubi D

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon Diesel, Hella Yella
After a 7month wait I just joined the Diesel Crew only have 200km on mine so far loving the torque now to let the FUN begin with the mods :clap: :clap:
Welcome to the crew.
Sponsored

Marcus

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, JL Rubicon.
Any idea why they canned the Diesel in Aus? COVID?

Glad to have got one, but concerned why they stopped.

JLDiablo

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2.2D
Reviving the thread.

Has anyone been having trouble with the auto stop start on the diesel? Itā€™ll turn itself off (ie passing all of its ā€˜checksā€™) but then will fail to start, resulting in needing to return the gear lever to Park and start with the button

I donā€™t know if itā€™s just my Aux battery on its last legs or if itā€™s underpowered for the diesel but seems to be happening more frequently. Vehicle is less than 2 years old.

Itā€˜s due for a service next week and Iā€™ve asked them to have a look at it, but Iā€™m thinking I might be best just replacing it.

COKENOGOOD

First Name
Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Black
could be the battery issue...
since I have Tazer. my ESS is off all the time....

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rubi D

Rubi D

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Reviving the thread.

Has anyone been having trouble with the auto stop start on the diesel? Itā€™ll turn itself off (ie passing all of its ā€˜checksā€™) but then will fail to start, resulting in needing to return the gear lever to Park and start with the button

I donā€™t know if itā€™s just my Aux battery on its last legs or if itā€™s underpowered for the diesel but seems to be happening more frequently. Vehicle is less than 2 years old.

Itā€˜s due for a service next week and Iā€™ve asked them to have a look at it, but Iā€™m thinking I might be best just replacing it.
I normally switch ESS off anyway, but in recent months, ESS hadn't been engaging automatically even when activated. Figuring this was just the start of problems and with battery voltage, engine off, around 12.1V (normal multimeter, not battery tester) I decided to replace the AUX battery. ESS is now operational again, but from time to time there wasn't enough juice to restart the engine giving me the trouble you have outlined. I replaced the main battery with an Optima DH7 and now all working again. There are many threads about the AUX battery and most suggest replacing the AUX and Main batteries together. One not so good battery harms the other. Seems like a wise suggestion.

JLDiablo

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2.2D
I normally switch ESS off anyway, but in recent months, ESS hadn't been engaging automatically even when activated. Figuring this was just the start of problems and with battery voltage, engine off, around 12.1V (normal multimeter, not battery tester) I decided to replace the AUX battery. ESS is now operational again, but from time to time there wasn't enough juice to restart the engine giving me the trouble you have outlined. I replaced the main battery with an Optima DH7 and now all working again. There are many threads about the AUX battery and most suggest replacing the AUX and Main batteries together. One not so good battery harms the other. Seems like a wise suggestion.
Dealer confirmed aux battery is underperforming and they will replace under warranty! Fingers crossed it hasnā€™t caused too many dramas with the main one.

TordFuglstad

First Name
Tord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL 2.2D
Any more word on reliability of these engines?

Looking to get one with around 93k km on the clock.

OP
OP
Rubi D

Rubi D

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently at 62K. Not high by any stretch of the imagination, but no problems either.

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
Hi all,

I took delivery of my JL Rubicon Diesel a few weeks back . (My first Jeep). So far very happy with my purchase. The diesel performance is improving as expected and fuel economy gets better with each fill. Now averaging 9.1 l/100kms.

One thing I did experience was at the delivery of my vehicle. Upon leaving the dealers on a Saturday morning (service department closed), the DPF warning came up saying it was 100% full. Of course, this meant the vehicle was in limp mode and performance was restricted. I revisited the dealer on the Monday, and they corrected the issue by performing a reset of the DPF sensor parameters. Since then, running strong and no further issues.

I note there has not been much discussion, if any, on the 2.2l, so just wanting to see what other owners thought of the diesel. Granted the popular choice seems to be the petrol version, but I just like the low down, effortless torque of the diesel. Aside from the initial hiccup, I am not disappointed.

All the best.
It's been a couple years, do you and @lohr500 and @COKENOGOOD still have your 2.2 diesels?

If so how have they been over the last 4 years?

Asking for a friend... @Flip

Sponsored

lohr500

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.2 MultiJet Diesel
@Tredsdert

I sold my JLU 2.2 diesel over two years ago just before the warranty ran out.

Sadly it was the most unreliable vehicle I ever had the misfortune to own.
Plagued with breakdowns and faults that resulted in it being recovered numerous times on a flat bed breakdown truck.

I found the two local Jeep garages to be incompetent when it came to repairing the vehicle and the support from Jeep UK and EU was lamentable.

I wouldn't recommend a modern Wrangler to anyone.

OP
OP
Rubi D

Rubi D

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's been a couple years, do you and @lohr500 and @COKENOGOOD still have your 2.2 diesels?

If so how have they been over the last 4 years?

Asking for a friend... @Flip
Hi Greg,
At 66,500 kms still running strong. Towed my Patriot camper to Central Australia about 18 months ago, with no issues.
Changed servicing dealer early on as the first lot didn't give me a great deal of confidence. The current ones have been good.

AusJeepNoob

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon EcoDiesel
Reviving the thread.

The Aux battery is only to power electrical items while the engine is turned off in stop/start mode. The main battery is used to restart the engine.

JLDiablo

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2.2D
The Aux battery is only to power electrical items while the engine is turned off in stop/start mode. The main battery is used to restart the engine.
Thanks!

As a further update the aux battery was replaced under warranty. Issue seemed to resolve for a period, then returned.

At the last service the main battery was down to 80%. I changed it out for a Century unit since they were on offer at Supercheap.

Now it has totally resolved. Finger was firmly pointed at the main battery!
Sponsored