Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Data Analyst
IS this the sound?

This is engine knock. Jeep says its normal. It doesn't do this all the time. I just learned to live with it.
This was most definitely not the sound I experienced. its more like a tiny playing card in your BMX spokes sound.
Sponsored

dstrahm

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
IS this the sound?

This is engine knock. Jeep says its normal. It doesn't do this all the time. I just learned to live with it.
Do you have the Diesel engine? If so that’s common low end diesel sounds. If it’s gas, then that is engine knock and a fairly bad case of it!

Bluebear

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon Ocean Blue
I guess I'm adding my "me too". 3.6L and Auto. Low RPM, lower speed, you hear it as you press the accelerator just enough. If you accelerate harder you don't hear it, less force on the engine/transmission is the key. Not really sure if it's coming from the engine or the transmission.

One of those sounds that I would like to confirm it isn't the beginning of a larger issue but super hard to demonstrate during diagnosis... It wasn't there when the Jeep was new so sure it's something I will have to watch.

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
Do you have the Diesel engine? If so that’s common low end diesel sounds. If it’s gas, then that is engine knock and a fairly bad case of it!
It's the V6. Some even suggested it might be a manifold leak. It hasn't happened for a while.

Rubencardoso

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon unlimited
Hello,

I have over the past few weeks noticed a rattling noise coming from my jeep. I have been unable to locate the noise and had a buddy do a ride along to try and pinpoint it. He is a JK owner and has never heard that noise profile before in his life.
It seems to be coming from the drivers side right at the wheel well or below the jeep. I have been unable to locate any other posts or videos about this noise after researching for weeks, until now (link below@ 8-9 second mark).

Link:

It seems I am not the only one having this issue, has anyone else found the source of the noise or heard of a wider problem? The occurrence of the noise in the video is the same for me as well more or less.
Just wanted to reach out and see if anyone knows anything.

General info: Jeep JL 2dr Sport S / 3.6L / Automatic
I have this same issue on mine, I have a manual and the rattling happens when accelerating. I could be going 45 in 4th gear and right when I tap the gas I’ll hear the rattle. Also when slowing down when pressing in the clutch. That and I have some sort of wheel hop or something when pulling off in 1st. Its a weird feeling but it feels like my diff is locked or im in 4wd turning on dry pavement. This doesn’t always happen. It’s pretty random. Sometimes when I’m stopped and have to speed up to merge into the traffic, 1st gear is like non existent because I have to shift right away into second, then the weird wheel hop, and the rattling noise on top of all that, it feels like the Jeep is going to fall apart. I love my Jeep but sometimes these issues makes me wanna run it into a ditch

Sponsored

OP
OP

Forgetful

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S - 2 Dr
....weird wheel hop, and the rattling noise on top of all that, it feels like the Jeep is going to fall apart. I love my Jeep but sometimes these issues makes me wanna run it into a ditch
I agree with you 100%. It makes me want to turn my Jeep in before it becomes a bigger issue. From what I have been told by people in the shops and here is that "its how Jeeps sound". Seems like a bigger issue though.

There's a guy in the YouTube video I linked who says he has an open claim.
His input is:
"Jeep care team is following up on this issue with my dealer, if you are experiencing the same, send the car to dealer and notify Jeepcare team, they should have an open ticket on it."

@JeepCares Any updates on this? Its been awfully quiet on your end.

OP
OP

Forgetful

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update for you guys. Took it into the dealer, said it didn't pop any codes and to come back when it does. The next day I got a recall notice on my MOPAR app. Theres a recall for PCM Misfire Detection.

Samwr

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
For anyone trying to replicate the noise. I’ve found a way to do it on my 2020 Wrangler.

Park the car, pull the hand break. Put left foot on the break. Put car into gear/drive. Slowly press the accelerator until the engine starts to rev between 1/1.5k rpm.
You’ll start hearing the same exact noise.
mines gotten to the point where I can hear it 80% of the time while driving. It’s making me go insane and ruining my driving experience.

Star404

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I had similar issue with my new 3.6 the other day, but I thought mine came from the back.
It was low speed low RPM and it rattles as long as the pedal is pressed.…

KingZo88

First Name
Lorenzo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 2 door
Wanted to keep wake up this thread.. i have the same issue, car is at the dealer now to replace the steering box. The tech says the rattle is from the RedRock axle back exhaust that was installed. What could it be?? Loose clamp? Loose hanger??

Sponsored

OP
OP

Forgetful

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wanted to keep wake up this thread.. i have the same issue, car is at the dealer now to replace the steering box. The tech says the rattle is from the RedRock axle back exhaust that was installed. What could it be?? Loose clamp? Loose hanger??
Theres a recall for some engines. I never ended up getting it fixed, I traded it in. I noticed this noise in a 2020 Gladiator, it seems to be when the engine reaches about 15K miles.

None of the techs were able to fix it or ID, I feel they were just pretending to not hear it as they kept it for two days. Its not hard to miss if you drive with a window cracked.

KingZo88

First Name
Lorenzo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 2 door
Theres a recall for some engines. I never ended up getting it fixed, I traded it in. I noticed this noise in a 2020 Gladiator, it seems to be when the engine reaches about 15K miles.

None of the techs were able to fix it or ID, I feel they were just pretending to not hear it as they kept it for two days. Its not hard to miss if you drive with a window cracked.
thanks for the response. They did hear the rattle but claimed that it was my exhaust. Im at about 14.5k miles. Im suppose to pick it up tomorrow then check the exhaust.Do you know if any shop can detect this or find out what it is other thanthe dealer?

OP
OP

Forgetful

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
thanks for the response. They did hear the rattle but claimed that it was my exhaust. Im at about 14.5k miles. Im suppose to pick it up tomorrow then check the exhaust.Do you know if any shop can detect this or find out what it is other thanthe dealer?
I wouldn't trust the dealership. They just told me its "normal", I had opened a case with Jeepwave but for how long the dealership was going to take and all this other stuff I decided to run away from my Jeep. Oh I showed them the video too, and that do much to sway their opinion.
But hey, according to the professionals its "normal" and acceptable. Ill see if my Gladiator knocks at that same milage, if it does im done with Jeep for the rest of my life.
Sponsored