Sponsored

JL Wrangler Manual Transmission - 2nd Gear Disengagement (Popping Out of Gear)

agordon117

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR HellaYella
Well that's part of the problem. It's hard to pin down who is and isn't coming to work. I get shipments of material delayed (CNC Machining business) indefinitely, holding up production. People don't show up to work for one reason or another, and material delays because maybe a trucker calls off sick or something, you can't account for all of these variables. You can know how many man hours it takes to build a transmission, but if your castings are late and then people don't show up to your factory, you can't translate the man hours into a schedule like you could before.
Sponsored

OP
OP
RubiconReese

RubiconReese

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I wonder if the wait time is Canada specific, similar to ordering a Jeep?
I'm not sure. As for ordering a Jeep from the factory, you maybe waiting awhile due to the chip shortage.

DavidC70

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrngler 2018
I have an update.

After a lot of fighting and complaining, Jeep was able to reproduce the problem. It took 2 weeks to schedule time, but they've now had my Jeep for 4 days to dive into it. After allegedly have several discussions with Jeep Corp, they have authorized an entire transmission replacement under warranty. Jeep claims that my case is "so rare" they'd rather have it back intact for a study instead of trying to piece together portions of the transmission. I was really glad to hear that.

They claim that a full transmission can be shipped within 2 business days and I should have my Wrangler back mid next week. We'll see.

OP
OP
RubiconReese

RubiconReese

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have an update.

After a lot of fighting and complaining, Jeep was able to reproduce the problem. It took 2 weeks to schedule time, but they've now had my Jeep for 4 days to dive into it. After allegedly have several discussions with Jeep Corp, they have authorized an entire transmission replacement under warranty. Jeep claims that my case is "so rare" they'd rather have it back intact for a study instead of trying to piece together portions of the transmission. I was really glad to hear that.

They claim that a full transmission can be shipped within 2 business days and I should have my Wrangler back mid next week. We'll see.
Well that's great that they are replacing the transmission. Hopefully it quick fix at the dealership for you.

I just talked to my service manager and they stated that the synchro will be arriving Sept 1. 6 weeks and counting.

DavidC70

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrngler 2018
Well that's great that they are replacing the transmission. Hopefully it quick fix at the dealership for you.

I just talked to my service manager and they stated that the synchro will be arriving Sept 1. 6 weeks and counting.
I'm not a mechanic, so I'm not really sure how to describe what happened...

Transmission was replaced (it took 1 week). I picked up the car, put it in 1st gear, eased off the clutch... and it went backwards!! The red safety that one must squeeze to get into R was not working. You could slide into R by mistake.

Reverse was where 1st gear used to be. Okay, fine. Maybe I need to adjust to the new feel? No. I took the car down the road - it now has 2 reverse gears!! There's one R that you can engage by depressing the red safety lever on the stick, the "other" R is where 1st gear used to be (no safety lever needed to engage). If you slide over to where 3rd gear used to be, then you find the new 1st gear.

Confused? Try driving it over a windy mtn road. I have all 6 manual gears and 2 reverse positions now. (Both R positions will turn on the backup camera).

It's super dangerous. Imagine a green light, you don't think and pop into 1st gear, then ram the car behind you because you're going backwards.

Jeep tried to tell me that they didn't notice anything wrong. Holy s#$%. After playing around w/ the shifter, they agreed that something was wrong. I take it back next week. Meanwhile, I just have to remember not to accidentally downshift into R. Amazing that I almost have to yell and beg before someone notices (and owns) a glaring manufacturer problem like this.

I have no idea if this is a transmission install issue or if the stick wasn't re-engaged into the car properly.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RubiconReese

RubiconReese

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not a mechanic, so I'm not really sure how to describe what happened...

Transmission was replaced (it took 1 week). I picked up the car, put it in 1st gear, eased off the clutch... and it went backwards!! The red safety that one must squeeze to get into R was not working. You could slide into R by mistake.

Reverse was where 1st gear used to be. Okay, fine. Maybe I need to adjust to the new feel? No. I took the car down the road - it now has 2 reverse gears!! There's one R that you can engage by depressing the red safety lever on the stick, the "other" R is where 1st gear used to be (no safety lever needed to engage). If you slide over to where 3rd gear used to be, then you find the new 1st gear.

Confused? Try driving it over a windy mtn road. I have all 6 manual gears and 2 reverse positions now. (Both R positions will turn on the backup camera).

It's super dangerous. Imagine a green light, you don't think and pop into 1st gear, then ram the car behind you because you're going backwards.

Jeep tried to tell me that they didn't notice anything wrong. Holy s#$%. After playing around w/ the shifter, they agreed that something was wrong. I take it back next week. Meanwhile, I just have to remember not to accidentally downshift into R. Amazing that I almost have to yell and beg before someone notices (and owns) a glaring manufacturer problem like this.

I have no idea if this is a transmission install issue or if the stick wasn't re-engaged into the car properly.
Holy $&!T how does that even happen! WTF! You would think that they would have taken it for a test drive? That's scary. I for surely would not be driving it. Can you get a video of this? I need to see this.
I will defiantly be doing a test drive in their parking lot when I go to pick mine up.

Update on mine. They finally got the parts in so I'm patiently waiting for them to install it.

DavidC70

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrngler 2018
Holy $&!T how does that even happen! WTF! You would think that they would have taken it for a test drive? That's scary. I for surely would not be driving it. Can you get a video of this? I need to see this.
I will defiantly be doing a test drive in their parking lot when I go to pick mine up.

Update on mine. They finally got the parts in so I'm patiently waiting for them to install it.
A video is a good idea. I'll try to get one today.

OP
OP
RubiconReese

RubiconReese

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OMG! That's scary. I would be scared to accidently down shift into "reverse gear". They should have done their due diligence makes sure everything works.

JeepinPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR, '95 Land Cruiser
They either installed the shifter cables wrong, or more likely the cables are way out of adjustment. Can you still shift into 5th or 6th gear? Is 2nd gear in line with your new reverse? Pretty crazy for sure.

Pete

Sponsored

OP
OP
RubiconReese

RubiconReese

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I finally got my jeep back. They replaced 2nd gear (68334917AB), synchro (68334913AB) and sleeve (68334915AB). Hopefully no further issues in the future.

DavidC70

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrngler 2018
My Jeep is fixed!

The gear shifting issue was allegedly due to the crossover cables being installed incorrectly. They adjusted and now it's just as it was pre-service. The news transmission fixed the 2nd gear popping out.

To answer the Qs: 2nd gear was almost aligned with Reverse. The difference was so slight you could easily make the mistake and slide into R. I had to triple check each time before letting the clutch out. All gears were usable even 5/6. Everything physically felt off though - physically 5/6th gears felt further to the right than before.

OP
OP
RubiconReese

RubiconReese

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well it appears that my 1st gear grinds. I have to hold the clutch in for at least 1 second before putting it into first gear. If I shit it too early it just grinds. It just never ends. I haven't had the time to bring back into the shop.

mayoJames

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I have this issue and thought maybe I messed up my transmission. It keeps acting like its in gear and when i let out clutch it either pops out of reveals that it was never all the way in gear, hit a wall in the shift no matter what. I would really like it fixed but the dealer techs dont seem to be knowledgeable where Ive taken it.

OP
OP
RubiconReese

RubiconReese

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow they must of known I was talking about them on here. They just called. Looks like they verified it was doing it and they are replacing the entire transmission.
That's extremely frustrating. There's clearly an issue with the transmission. Glad they are willing to replace the transmission.
Sponsored