Sponsored

JL Wrangler Manual Transmission - 2nd Gear Disengagement (Popping Out of Gear)

OP
OP
RubiconReese

RubiconReese

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I have reached out to @JeepCares for Extended Warranty for my vehicle. I am completely exhausted by the poor competency of the service shop in the ability to properly diagnose and repair the transmission in a timely manner and a result of electrical issues and a leaking exhaust.
Sponsored

Kryten

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
I have driven manuals all my life but the JL is the one I stalled the most because of the low initial torque. I recently got a Gladiator 2021 Mohave also with a m/t and had some near misses on it too. And that is the only beef I have against them/t of JL/JT otherwise I love it. I am guessing eTorque option would help in the initial take off from traffic lights, in uphill situations or while pulling it into the inclined garage driveway.
Did you get your JL brand new? Maybe it takes some time to break in. I’ve test driven several manual JLs and the light clutch felt weird at first and I stalled the first one I tested once before leaving the parking lot but as soon as I got going it was easy to adjust. Did it get any better for you after putting some miles on it? I liked the manuals that I tested so much a went ahead and ordered one.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Did you get your JL brand new? Maybe it takes some time to break in. I’ve test driven several manual JLs and the light clutch felt weird at first and I stalled the first one I tested once before leaving the parking lot but as soon as I got going it was easy to adjust. Did it get any better for you after putting some miles on it? I liked the manuals that I tested so much a went ahead and ordered one.
Yes, brand new - had 3 miles on it. And yes, it did get better after 1400 - 1500 miles. Or maybe I got better at it. :)

OP
OP
RubiconReese

RubiconReese

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have reached out to @JeepCares for Extended Warranty for my vehicle. I am completely exhausted by the poor competency of the service shop in the ability to properly diagnose and repair the transmission in a timely manner and a result of electrical issues and a leaking exhaust.
I reached out to FCA Canada and they were not able to provide me with Extended Warranty for my vehicle. I am completely annoyed and frustrated with the service shop in their competence to diagnose and repair the vehicle. How do you state that you've test drove the vehicle and state that the vehicle is in operating condition when there clearly is an issue with the vehicle at all 3 separate occasion.

If anyone else received extended warranty on their vehicle due to transmission issues, let me know.

Timbotime

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara
Hello, I am having this issue as well. I have a 2018 Sahara with 49,000 MI, purchased one month ago certified used. It's the weirdest thing ever. About 60-70% of the time, only when decelerating, the stick will just pop out of 2nd gear. Sometimes nicely into neutral, other times stuck halfway grinding and I'll have to pop it in neutral myself or quickly try to clutch in and throw it back in 2nd.
It usually happens above 30 mph, but has happened as low as 21 MPH. If RPMs are at 2700 or above, it's pretty much guaranteed to happen every time. It has never happened once when accelerating, but will happen if I rev up in 2nd, stay in 2nd, coast to deceleration, THUD\POP.
I'm hoping that all of this is covered nicely under the powertrain warranty... I have a service appointment with Tate Jeep on March 31st.

Sponsored

Vader Jeep

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler jl 2 door
It would be interesting to see if the 2nd gear issue has any commonality among those having issues - like month of manufacture/assembly or belonging to the same batch from Aisin.
[/QUOTE
I finally got my jeep back. They replaced 2nd gear (68334917AB), synchro (68334913AB) and sleeve (68334915AB). Hopefully no further issues in the future.

Vader Jeep

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler jl 2 door
Ok I had the same issue at 19000 miles 2020 2 door sport mt and they replaced the transmission. This was only after they requested that I pay for a new clutch assembly.After inspecting the clutch they said it wasnt needed and put it back together with new tranny. I am now at 41000 miles and tranny #2 is doing the same thing. I reported it to them and they said something about making my issue a star issue. Still waiting on call back on what is going to be done. All i know is I cant afford a 1600 dollar clutch assembly to get my 3rd tranny.😤

Schism75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLU SAHARA
Ugh! Sorry to hear about this. I have 23k on my 18' 6m with no issues as of yet. I'm crossing my fingers now. I guess I'm purchasing an extended warranty this summer to cover my ass. :angry:

Red Willy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Beach High Tide, 2021 2 dr. Willys stick
Occupation
Professional Nobody
Short answer, yes it did fix second gear popping out issue but it also cause first gear to grind. Clearly there is an issue with the transmission.
What,...after a rebuild by their "top technician" it's still not right?? :headbang: :facepalm: You seem to be holding your temper much better than I would have. They should have replaced the entire transmission the first time. If possible, I would find another dealership/shop to deal with after the trans is replaced.

cmjones

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 4dr w/ Mopar lift
So far there has been 7 Jeeps with the same issue.

JL Wranglers
jlushing
- Dealership provide no resolution due to lift kit. No resolution posted.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jeep-jl-popping-out-of-2nd-gear.28595/#post-1576293

atso - No resolution posted.

Rodeoflyer - Taking it to the dealership to diagnose issue. Personally decided not to repair at this time

agordon117 - New transmission replacement.

DavidC70 - Awaiting dealership to propose a solution

JT Gladiator
Willy's 2020
- 2 transmission replacements.
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/manual-transmission-kicking-out-of-2nd-gear.26961/
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/lost-second-gear-again.44890/page-4

hawk14414 - New transmission replacement.
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/manual-transmission-not-holding-4th-gear.24632/

If you know anyone else, please add it to the list.
Add me to the list: 2020 JL Rubi 4dr 15,500 miles.
Dealer actually has software that sends a txt with a link to their Master Tech's self-made video where he explains what his understanding of the issue... "Customer states vehicle pops out of 2nd gear, Grinding sound, can't get back into second, Cruise control error light, auto start/stop light, etc..." then he goes to explain that there is a tech note on Chrysler technician system about this issue. The tech note instructs him to sample the trans fluid. He then holds a mason jar up showing brown dens liquid and explains that it should be semi-transparent, pinkish to red color, then shows metallic flakes. Indicates that he discovered large metal pieces on magnetic drain plug. Advises that they need to report findings to Chrysler's Tech support network for next steps.
Later in the day they confirm that a new transmission is required. They now need to provide photos and documentation to Chrysler for "pre-approval" and will then look for needed parts. Will call tomorrow to tell us how long it will take.

I'm worried after hearing all of your stories here that this is something that will come back again in some number of miles... no chance of this being a high mileage vehicle unless I start feeding it with transmissions later in life. What would you do?

Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if there’s an aftermarket shop who can rebuild these trans? I’m just dealing with mine until I can get some time off work, or it completely fails, then take it to Jeep. We have a 60k mile power train coverage and I’m only at 36k now.

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Jeep won’t do a damn thing about it, just like they didn’t provide a real solve for the clutch or the bubbles in the paint hinge.
This might be my last jeep, my wife’s 2014 Cherokee had a transmission replacement, still bad, now at 64k miles needs the roller rockers and possibly cams replaced, my jeep prior to this had transmission problems .

im Hoping my issue is solved with the fluid change , seems ok now knock on wood

PSUEric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Same issue here. 2021 Rubicon 3.6 6spd manual, 18,000 miles. Didn't read through all of the responses to see how many users are having this issue. It took the dealer 2 days to acknowledge the problem, then 3 days to wait for warranty determination. Yesterday they told me that they would be replacing the transmission, but it may be a while because they have to "find" one.

OP
OP
RubiconReese

RubiconReese

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Same issue here. 2021 Rubicon 3.6 6spd manual, 18,000 miles. Didn't read through all of the responses to see how many users are having this issue. It took the dealer 2 days to acknowledge the problem, then 3 days to wait for warranty determination. Yesterday they told me that they would be replacing the transmission, but it may be a while because they have to "find" one.
Sorry to hear that you're having the same issues with your Jeep. Hopefully FCA will cover it under warranty.

I have since sold my Jeep as I have lost faith in my Jeep. I was constantly paranoid that the transmission would fail again. The service department was trying to find every reason to decline my warranty claim. A transmission is far to expensive to replace on my own. I did not have a pleasant experience from both Sales and Service department and for that reason, I won't be purchasing another FCA product in a long time.

PSUEric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Sorry to hear that you're having the same issues with your Jeep. Hopefully FCA will cover it under warranty.

I have since sold my Jeep as I have lost faith in my Jeep. I was constantly paranoid that the transmission would fail again. The service department was trying to find every reason to decline my warranty claim. A transmission is far to expensive to replace on my own. I did not have a pleasant experience from both Sales and Service department and for that reason, I won't be purchasing another FCA product in a long time.
They have agreed to replace the transmission under warranty. This took no convincing on my part. The only question was to determine if they would "repair" or "replace" the transmission. That decision took about 2-3 days from Chrysler. Now the fun part. They claim that the transmission is "on back order". Their best estimate for when it might be available is somewhere from 2 days to 6 months. UGH... They did offer a loaner car from the Dealer's fleet, which could be available somewhere between 2 days and 2 weeks from now.
Sponsored