Sponsored

JL Wrangler Manual Transmission - 2nd Gear Disengagement (Popping Out of Gear)

OP
OP
RubiconReese

RubiconReese

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Well it appears that my 1st gear grinds. I have to hold the clutch in for at least 1 second before putting it into first gear. If I shit it too early it just grinds. It just never ends. I haven't had the time to bring back into the shop.

Update on my transmission. They continue to refuse to replace the entire transmission. They are going to replace the throw out bearing and slave master cylinder.
Sponsored

OP
OP
RubiconReese

RubiconReese

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update on my transmission. They continue to refuse to replace the entire transmission. They are going to replace the throw out bearing and slave master cylinder.
Well it looks like the service department finally concluded to replace the transmission. I hope this alleviates the issue and future issues.

OP
OP
RubiconReese

RubiconReese

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the update. I'll have to reach out to Jeep Cares and hopefully they will grant me extended warranty.

Fargo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited edition
This is crazy guys. I was thinking about ordering a manual Rubi so I could avoid issues with eTorque, but the manual tranny might just be more troublesome than eTorque.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
It would be interesting to see if the 2nd gear issue has any commonality among those having issues - like month of manufacture/assembly or belonging to the same batch from Aisin.

Sponsored

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
This is crazy guys. I was thinking about ordering a manual Rubi so I could avoid issues with eTorque, but the manual tranny might just be more troublesome than eTorque.
I wish manual transmission came with eTorque.

srhoyt1979

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Oil & Gas
Interesting....I have a 2019 JLUR manual 30,000 miles and have not experienced this issue 🤔. I'll keep you guys posted if anything changes. Thanks for sharing!

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Without derailing the thread. Why would you want the extra complexity and expensive battery?
I have driven manuals all my life but the JL is the one I stalled the most because of the low initial torque. I recently got a Gladiator 2021 Mohave also with a m/t and had some near misses on it too. And that is the only beef I have against them/t of JL/JT otherwise I love it. I am guessing eTorque option would help in the initial take off from traffic lights, in uphill situations or while pulling it into the inclined garage driveway.

Fargo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited edition
I have driven manuals all my life but the JL is the one I stalled the most because of the low initial torque. I recently got a Gladiator 2021 Mohave also with a m/t and had some near misses on it too. And that is the only beef I have against them/t of JL/JT otherwise I love it. I am guessing eTorque option would help in the initial take off from traffic lights, in uphill situations or while pulling it into the inclined garage driveway.
Thats a sound reason. Thanks for sharing.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RubiconReese

RubiconReese

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It would be interesting to see if the 2nd gear issue has any commonality among those having issues - like month of manufacture/assembly or belonging to the same batch from Aisin.
I'll take a look for the Manufacture sticker when I get my Jeep back. Although I'm not sure if that would help narrow down the transmission build date?

The service department is still waiting for the delivery of the new transmission.

OP
OP
RubiconReese

RubiconReese

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting....I have a 2019 JLUR manual 30,000 miles and have not experienced this issue 🤔. I'll keep you guys posted if anything changes. Thanks for sharing!
Hopefully you wont have any future issue. I don't this issue is affecting all manual transmission Jeeps but there is a selected handful of transmission affected. A good friend has over 75,000Km with no issues with the transmission.

OP
OP
RubiconReese

RubiconReese

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did this fix the second gear popping out issue???
Short answer, yes it did fix second gear popping out issue but it also cause first gear to grind. Clearly there is an issue with the transmission.

OP
OP
RubiconReese

RubiconReese

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dec 17 update. After countless phone calls with the service shop, I have finally received my Jeep back 5 months later with a brand NEW transmission...and a exhaust leak. Of course a competent service shop always leaves you with something unfixed. ;) The service shop clearly has no quality management as they don't thoroughly test drive the vehicle. Fortunately, I was able to fixed the exhaust leak my self by simply tightening the exhaust clamp bolt.
Hopefully, I won't have any future issues. Time will tell.
Sponsored