Sponsored

JL Wrangler interior photos!

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Smaller controls makes it harder with gloves on, many car manufacturers are trying to avoid fiddly little controls if they can avoid it for that reason.

I think it’s a trade-off of how much space optimization can you make before it inhibits use for some owners.
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I like the big knobs. They should work well with gloves.

Edit....Ape beat me to it.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Likely some Dumba$$.. err... poor unfortunate soul was injured or died because they couldn’t find the location of theirs, and they or their estate sued for half the national income of Muldova for that ‘design flaw’.

So now all the mfrs make sure they are impossible to miss.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I used to hate those hazard buttons, but after living with my 99 E430, I'm sold on them. Every other vehicle is a pain...The JK is down low enough you have to take eyes off the road to hit it, others are tiny buttons on top of the steering column, and so-on. I'd like some uniformity, but if we can't have that, then a big, easy to find button is good with me, even if it looks awkward.

Looking at it again, I think this one is easy to hit without taking eyes off the road, but still not obnoxious. The one in my Mercedes is incredibly obnoxios, placed top center of the dash with a huge triangle that sticks out and lights up bright red at night. You could be blind and have no trouble hitting it. The JL is a nice compromise, IMO.

Sponsored

ResponsibleAdult

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, Rubicon, Mojito
Snow storms. I like to be able to find them without taking my eyes off the only 10 ft of road I can see.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘Have to’ , perhaps in a snow storm or other low visibility times.

But when ‘do I’ use the Hazards while driving?

When signalling other vehicles, usually either as a thank you when a hand wave isn’t visible, or to advise people of genuine hazards ahead (usually animals on/near the road or else rock slides, etc). Those are the main times, when having it handy and easily accessible can be beneficial.
I probably use the Hazards while driving for both of those reasons about 20 times a year, but I’m sure that’s way more than most.

Heck my main complaint, is it doesn’t feel as robust as the old switches and my ‘more frequent use’ makes me concerned I’ll break it.

ResponsibleAdult

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, Rubicon, Mojito
Not every time - just every November for the first few years. I've been loving my jeep since 2004, though, so it's no longer a problem. And honestly, I've never driven a car that puts the hazards where you want to find them, when you need them. If they did, I'd be annoyed that they were in the way on a daily basis....

PhoenixM3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GR86, 2023 Wrangler JLURD
Living overseas, you get used to seeing drivers use their hazard lights to alert drivers following them to an accident or a big slow down in traffic speed.

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
I like how the hazard button is centered on the dash. Very neat.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
When coming up on traffic that has suddenly stopped or slowed dramatically, I put them on to wake up the folks behind me who might be half asleep and not react quickly to just brake lights. People get rear-ended every day on the road on which I drive to and from work. Also, I put them on in heavy snow storms and more often, rain storms. I also use them every time I pull onto the shoulder to help someone. Do I forget where the switch is? Yes, because I drive 4 different vehicles. Only my Ford Transit Van and Mercedes E430 have them in the top center area of the dash. My F150 has it on top of the steering wheel stalk, and my JK has it down low in the center stack, in maybe the worst place possible. I'm a pilot, and I understand the importance and safety of keeping your eyes out of the "cockpit" and on the road.