Sponsored

JL Wrangler hardtop / removable roof ideas...check out this patent

JoKer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Wrangler Sport
It seems that there will be few design surprises with the JL Wrangler but the roof design is still a big mystery.

I came across this patent for a new Wrangler roof.. from what I can the inventor is not affiliated with FCA and it was filed back in 2012 so I doubt the ideas were being created for the JL specifically but it's still got great ideas and would work for the JL pickup too.

https://www.google.com/patents/US8408623

Jeep-Wrangler-Roof-Removable-Top-Patent-1.jpg
Jeep-Wrangler-Roof-Removable-Top-Patent-2.jpg
Jeep-Wrangler-Roof-Removable-Top-Patent-3.jpg
Jeep-Wrangler-Roof-Removable-Top-Patent-4.jpg
Jeep-Wrangler-Roof-Removable-Top-Patent-5.jpg

DETAILED DESCRIPTION OF THE PREFERRED EMBODIMENTS

A top for a vehicle can be adjusted in elevation and can be removed from the vehicle. One advantage of the rear top in this patent is that it will let you store in the vehicle, a complete top made of a non-flexible hard surface material such as, metal, fiberglass, composite materials, etc. This type of top is referred to as removable hard top. This type of top can be used on many types of vehicles; utility vehicles, vans, pickups, station wagons, etc. Some tops are known to take the roof off, though none have the ability to take the whole roof sections off, and the choice of storing them in your garage or other building, or store them in a covered position, in the vehicle itself. With this patent you can remove top, side sections over the front doors, rear doors, and the cargo area, and the rear glass, and store all the parts in the rear covered area in the vehicle. Another advantage of this hard top is it has the same advantages of a soft top and none of the disadvantages such as; flapping, wind noise, tearing etc.

The roof parts themselves are stored under the hard surface cover that acts as a lockable trunk so your very expensive hard top is stored out of sight and under secure lockable hard cover. Also with the top stored in the covered area, there is still enough extra space to store valuables under the lockable cover.

The top is made into smaller sections, which makes each section weigh a lot less. This makes this top easy for one person to remove it by their self. All other tops, take three to four people, so most hard tops are rarely ever removed.

This invention is also made in such a way as to make it much quicker to take off and reinstall, even quicker and easier than current soft tops.
This invention is also unique in that the top rear roof section turns into a hard trunk cover which actually turns into a lockable security trunk. When the top, side and roof sections are not stored in the trunk area, you have storage comparable to the largest vehicle trunks on the market. This way you can also store valuables under the cover without concern of theft. The lowered rear hard top cover is opaque and makes the vehicle as secure as a vehicle with a standard trunk type. People will not be able to see inside the trunk, detouring thieves from looking twice. One concern with the old style tops is, when you remove the top, you have no safe place to store anything inside the vehicle, except in the console or glove box. Neither option is very large or secure. Even when considering utility vehicles with the hard metal roof. You can see inside the entire vehicle, giving you no security. Though some have the security covers, all thieves know if you have the cover pulled over, you probably have something under it of value, which leaves you vulnerable.

This invention is also unique in that the rear roof section can be divided into multiple parts, to accommodate the roll bars in its lowered position,
This invention is also unique in that when the rear roof section is divided into two sections, the U-shaped rear section can also be used to cover a lowered soft top if desired.

This invention is unique in that it was designed with a rain gutter that also seals and locks the rear side sections for a good seal and a very smooth appearance.

Incorporated in this top is the added option of a half cab style top gaining the safe storage and the convenience of a truck. This half cab style configuration can have a lockable trunk space and the look of a pickup truck. Also with the half cab option you can remove the security cover on the back and install a separator to use this utility vehicle as a pickup bed, as will be described with respect to FIGS. 49 and 50. This option will gain all the conveniences of a pickup bed; such as hauling, picking up large cargo or maybe even towing a fifth wheel trailer.
Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Very interesting.

RobNY

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 TJ
I'm anxious to see what they do with the rumored new removable panels on the JL. If they can come up with something innovative and useful like this it would appease a lot of ppl that will be mad if they really get rid of the sports bar and go with a permanent roof structure.

Taimaishu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
I know the wrangler is so popular because of its roof's convertibility but it does almost nothing but come off. And the freedom top for $2k also does almost nothing. Someone should design a modular hard top that fully breaks down into multiple pieces that can fit in the trunk. Something like the design in first post would be game changing.

The Doc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Wrangler Unlimited, Future JT Pickup (hopefully)
i would think rollover requirements prevent anything too light weight or easily removed to be OEM. Even more so with the rumors that they may change the rules and no longer exempt convertibles.

Sponsored

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
Does anyone think the "Chief" may be the less off road capable "Beach Wrangler" ? With lightweight fixed roof with open air panels, aluminum tub, less robust axles, increased fuel economy, offered at an entry level price point for the youth ?

MotorMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
Does anyone think the "Chief" may be the less off road capable "Beach Wrangler" ? With lightweight fixed roof with open air panels, aluminum tub, less robust axles, increased fuel economy, offered at an entry level price point for the youth ?
I really hate to shoot your dreams down bro. But this isn’t happening.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
I really hate to shoot your dreams down bro. But this isn’t happening.
lol it's fine man. Stomp on them with Timberlands and extreme prejudice haha. It's just that I know TONS of 18-34yr olds who would become Jeep stans for life when that does happen in an alternate universe where FCA stock has its greatest leap since f#@king Lee Iacocca scored on that $0.35-$35.00 pinch hit grand slam. These are just zooted onset insomnia bumps before going to sleep my dude. ''Tis all good :like:

freegld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
I posted this patent about a year ago, so I was pretty heavy on this modular train for a while. I need a hardtop one person can remove without a hoist.

I'm still not ready to give up on that possibility. According to production schedule, the powertop will be in May, so It would only make sense to switch platforms at that time and make all hardtops with AT LEAST removable quarter panels. I've been driving a beater for too long to throw in the towel.

Sponsored

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
I need a hardtop one person can remove without a hoist.

I'm still not ready to give up on that possibility.
my money is on:

They have kept very quiet on this because they have a big reveal ready and this will be s huge part of the marketing campaign.

"A Removable top 1 person can take off and put back on quickly and easily, on the go, and stow and take with them."