Sponsored

JL Wrangler Front Windshield Defrost: Please file NHTSA Vehicle Safety Complaint

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
If I may ask a practical question...

wtf_01.gif
:LOL::like: that is a wiper from a 1940's Willys. The original jeep. It goes through the top of the windshield frame. You grab the handle and move it back and forth to wipe the rain off the windshield.

That was before all the fancy schmancy super high tech stuff like ELECTRIC powered wipers, a defroster and doors....

Now.... GET OFF MY LAWN! :CWL:
Sponsored

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
:LOL::like: that is a wiper from a 1940's Willys. The original jeep. It goes through the top of the windshield frame. You grab the handle and move it back and forth to wipe the rain off the windshield.

That was before all the fancy schmancy super high tech stuff like ELECTRIC powered wipers, a defroster and doors....

Now.... GET OFF MY LAWN! :CWL:
Go easy on me... I thought you were gonna tell me weren't gonna do Stonehenge tonight.
And I'm only............ 51! ;)

Nc138

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 2021

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
I got 99 problems, but a defroster isn’t one.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mabar

Mabar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2-Door
Winter is coming soon in the Midwest, so I might as well update this thread

I installed 5/8" square plastic plugs (14 of them) in my defroster vent last winter. This seems to REALLY help the defrost problem! See the attached photo.

DO NOT try to insert these plugs into the 3 larger holes on the left and right. See arrows. These plugs will fall through the 3 larger holes on each side.

I got them from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YSG2JB4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you look closely at the photo, I arranged the plugs and spaced them symmetrically. They almost look like they came this way from the factory.

Very happy with them.

Mabar

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Wrangler Front Windshield Defrost:  Please file NHTSA Vehicle Safety Complaint JL-Wrangler-defroster-14-plugs

Last edited:

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Thanks for clarifying where they go, I went outboard of where they should have been, and gave up when 1 dropped through.
Will try again, just in time for Winter now

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Great thread.
Frankly, it’s the only reason I’ve not ordered a new JL yet.
Waiting for FCA to remedy this colossal safety concern/issue. As a matter of fact, I’m ordering a new SUV in the new year. It would have been the JL, but after seeing your thread, it has reminded me to wait another year until/if FCA finally ameliorates this safety flaw...
I had this exact problem with my TJ & JKs!
It’s simply ridiculous!

Cheers all/B
Still happening in 2022 -https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/fca-windshield-defroster-coverage-fix-s1924000008.87666/post-1826857

Sponsored

wildphins

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU
This issue is really hard to believe in the year 2022. Like another poster, I was driving a 1973 CJ-5 (starting in 1976!) with a soft top. The defroster duct was a shaped piece of cardboard that was stapled together, so yes, one had to have a towel handy. I sold that and haven't had a Jeep since, until my girlfriend bought a 2021 JLU. She came home from work one snowy day and showed me the windshield. In 50 years they still don't have a defroster that works? Doesn't sound like the engineering challenge of the millennium! I will file a complaint, and try some of the suggested solutions!

bohnster

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Altitude GCM
Occupation
Bourbon Taster
I have the plugs in my vent holes. I had to park outside my garage last night for the first time since buying my JLU and the windshield was iced over. Great opportunity to try the fix. I remote-started the Jeep while working out and pretty soon the outside edges were defrosted, even faster and better than the center. Agree that you shouldn't have to do this but the plugs look like the belong in the Jeep and they work...

MILT

First Name
Milt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Honda technician
I have this same problem; I keep a winter hat in the Jeep and put it over the middle defrost vents. The air then goes to the outside of the windshield
Same as my old TJ.

would I like to have a better system? Yes
Do I really care? No

Jeep still gives me smiles all winter long. I’ll take the crappy defrost in order to trail run wearing a T shirt at 0 degrees with the windows down and the heated seats on. Ymmv
Sponsored