Sponsored

JL Wrangler Front Windshield Defrost: Please file NHTSA Vehicle Safety Complaint

klhjeep2018

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Occupation
Sales manager
Y’all never drove an air cooled VW did you.😊
That was my first car, you’re right it was by far nonexistent.
I used to carry an ice scraper on the inside of the vehicle to scrape the inside of the windshield.
i’ve never had one issue with the defroster in my 2018.
Sponsored

Craigzjeep

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray
Occupation
Telco Installer, retired. Current job drinking beer and yard work expert.
Y’all never drove an air cooled VW did you.😊
My first car was a 59 Volkswagen, no heater, and the wiper motor was bad, that always made it exciting drive to high-school in the WA winters
My 2019 jeep defrost hasnt been a problem yet even in 20 degree frozen weather.

Last edited:

klhjeep2018

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Occupation
Sales manager
My first car was a 59 Volkswagen, no heater, and the wiper motor was bad, that always made it exciting drive to high-school in the WA winters
My high school ride as well.
65 VW and a 6 volt.
just those crappy round heat ducts from the rear engine compartment.
Guess starting with a VW makes us appreciate what we have now, Good memories all in all.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
yeah the vent could be a little better. but, i do not have any problems in defrosting my window. in the last snow storm it worked just as it suppose to and like any other vehicles i had. the jl window defrost quicker due to its size. on some of frostier mornings, its take 5 mins to defrost the window from the start of the motor. the other key things i do is keep the windows clean and use de icer washer fluid.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
It is a bad system. That said, if I was gonna complain about the JL (I love my JL but just being fair and honest here), I'd complain about:
  1. A 4wd system that disables the front axle disconnect when dtcs are detected for something as simple as a wheel speed sensor, rendering 4x4 useless.
  2. Lockers that have terrible indicator switches, with reports of them self-actuating, and requiring throwing axles at them to kick the can down the road.
  3. A 2 battery system that, well, requires more maintenance than a codependent girlfriend.
  4. Self destructing rear glass.
  5. No dead pedal.
  6. No front folding seats on the JLU.
Probably only #2 would rise to the level of a safety administration complaint. Lockers turning on on the interstate would be no bueno.
1. If you start the vehicle in 4wd, it will engage the fad even with a bad wheel speed sensor
2. never had my lockers self actuate, and being that the Jeep won’t let you engage them in 2wd or 4 high I really doubt you could inadvertently engage them on the freeway.
3. Ours is a 2.0t with bsg, 2 different batteries, but no maintenance in the last 2 years. The hidden/ inaccessible/ 2nd battery on the 3.6L looks like a pita.
4. Never experienced or even heard of this issue
5. never felt like it was missing and I’ve seen aftermarket options available
6. Why would you need to fold the seat in a 4 door?

The low voltage condition we experienced in Moab was frustrating but has not reoccured, hoping it was a 1 time problem. The tazer jl fixed most of my other complaints, like sway bar disconnec at speed, lockers in 4 high, etc. I wouldn’t say it’s perfect, but it’s peppy for a Jeep on 37’s, goes almost anywhere, handles great, will zip up a mountain pass better than even our v8 wj did, and the steering is nowhere near as bad as some seem to think.

Sponsored

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
1. I know. Doesn't make the design good. As I said before I love my JL this was more of a "I realize this is a bitching list."
2. There's been threads on it, I'd have to dig em up. Never experienced it either but leary.
3. Same.
4. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/back-glass-exploded-again.49052/
5. Barbie complaint, I agree, still =)
6. Sleeping room if you're over 6', I eventually got frustrated and ordered an Ursa Minor.

TheEddie

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Disclaimer, this is my 7th Jeep. We have owned JK, 3 TJs, WJ, and XJ. We have wheeled all of them. We are fully invested in the Jeep brand.

All of the Jeep apologists that make excuses for poor design/poor quality control will lead to Jeep being overtaken in their own segment. The Bronco has out of the gate made tons of improvements on the "Wrangler" design. People like me will complain about IFS of the Bronco but 90% of buyers will see that as a positive (better ride, better steering, etc.)

Glaring issues like this should be fixed, it is widespread and known that the front defrost spreads heat poorly. (Search around.) Maybe it doesn't impact you due to climate but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be fixed for those it does impact.

Duluth Diesel

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy’s Sport
I’m having ice issues with my ‘21 JL as well. Plenty of heat and air movement out of the defrost, but it is pretty much centered and doesn’t reach the left and right ends of the windshield. Even on high and cooking myself and passengers, it isn’t enough. I now find myself using copious amounts of de-icing windshield washer fluid to compensate for the lack of properly directed defroster air. This is definitely a winter safety concern and it isn’t just during blizzards; it seems to be a constant winter problem. I just got this JL and I’ve never had such defrosting issues.

Samuelson

First Name
Gerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sahara 2door
Have you tried putting down the sunvisors?
I haven't had this situation in my JL yet, it's my first winter with it, but I always did that in my previous vehicles so that the heat can build up on the windshield.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mabar

Mabar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2-Door
I’m having ice issues with my ‘21 JL as well. Plenty of heat and air movement out of the defrost, but it is pretty much centered and doesn’t reach the left and right ends of the windshield. Even on high and cooking myself and passengers, it isn’t enough. I now find myself using copious amounts of de-icing windshield washer fluid to compensate for the lack of properly directed defroster air. This is definitely a winter safety concern and it isn’t just during blizzards; it seems to be a constant winter problem. I just got this JL and I’ve never had such defrosting issues.

If you have direct experience with this poorly designed defroster, please file a NHTSA Vehicle Safety Complaint. It is easy to do and only takes a couple of minutes.

File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) (dot.gov)

OP
OP
Mabar

Mabar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sometimes defrost works better if you have climate on the recirculating setting. I just replaced the stock wiper fluid with the deicer stuff and hope that helps. Funny that deicer fluid is illegal to sell in California. I picked some up across the border in Nevada.
Defrost does not work better in recirculate mode. Recirculate mode just recirculates the moist, humid cabin air (moist from snow melt, water on your boots, etc.). You want fresh air mode for better defrosting action.

OP
OP
Mabar

Mabar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is this problem limited to only 2021 models?? I have a 2020 and have not noticed this issue yet and I was driving in heavy snow just last week.
This issue applies to the defroster design on all JL Wranglers from 2018 to 2021. It also includes the Gladiator.

Jimac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Go back to 2018 threads on defrost plugs I have used them ever since in center of defrost slots