Sponsored

JL Wrangler Front Windshield Defrost: Please file NHTSA Vehicle Safety Complaint

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
Although there are many other threads and posts about the front windshield defrost problem on the JL Wrangler, I decided to start a new thread to suggest filing a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

I have a brand new, 2021 JL Wrangler Rubicon, with a December, 2020 factory production date. After three years of JL production, it still has a terrible and dangerous, front windshield defroster.

The windshield defroster has vents across almost the entire width of the windshield, but defrost air only comes out of the center vents. Very little or no air comes out of the right third and left third of the defroster vents.

While driving on the Interstate, with traffic moving at about 35 mph, in a Northeast Ohio snow storm recently, I experienced severe snow and ice buildup on the sides of the windshield. Even with the front defrost on high heat, high blower, and full defrost mode, the right side and left side of the windshield (about 12ā€ each side) had huge ice and snow buildup.

This caused the wiper blades to build up with ice and snow, making visibility almost impossible. Every 3 or 4 minutes, both my wife and I had to lower the side windows, then reach out while driving and ā€œslapā€ the wiper blades against the windshield to help remove the ice/snow buildup. It was so hot inside the Jeep, we had to open the side windows a few inches so we could breathe, while leaving the defrost on full blast, all to no avail.

I know about putting gloves over the center vents to re-direct more air to the sides. We tried that and it did help somewhat. I know about plugging many of the center vents with 5/8ā€ plastic plugs. I know some people have made 3-D printed vent plugs, diverters, etc.

I have owned two TJ Wranglers, two JK Wranglers, and now this 2021 JL, plus many other vehicles over many years. This is by far the absolute worst windshield defroster of any vehicle I have ever owned, plus, this is one of the smallest windshields of any new vehicle on the market today. It is unbelievable that the defroster does such a poor job of defrosting, even with such a small windshield.

I tested other 2021 Wranglers on the dealer lot, and they also had almost no air coming out of the right and left side defrost vents, the same as my Jeep. This poorly designed windshield defroster has been a known issue for about three years now, and still Jeep has not fixed this dangerous design.

I urge anybody who has had direct experience with this poor and dangerous windshield defroster design to file a NHTSA Vehicle Safety Complaint here:

File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) (dot.gov)
this and the lack of heater to the led headlights are really, really frustrating me.
Sponsored

Ntegtmeyer

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2014 Jeep Patriot Oscar Mike Edition, 2012 Jeep Compass Limited
Iā€™m sorry youā€™re having this issue. I myself have an 18 JL and live in a suburb of Chicago, so my JL has been thru some pretty crappy Midwest weather. I too have also never had a problem, I donā€™t know why or how, curious as to why some people have problems and some dont.

Karnak

First Name
Yan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL 3.6 Sport S - 2 door
Occupation
government
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™m sorry youā€™re having this issue. I myself have an 18 JL and live in a suburb of Chicago, so my JL has been thru some pretty crappy Midwest weather. I too have also never had a problem, I donā€™t know why or how, curious as to why some people have problems and some dont.
I know I'm using the front window defrost button which I'm not sure if its in all jeeps and maybe it comes with the cold weather group which I have.

cgagnon99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
I know I'm using the front window defrost button which I'm not sure if its in all jeeps and maybe it comes with the cold weather group which I have.
I know there are a ton of threads about this, but has anyone taken it to the dealer to see if something isn't connected right?

Ntegtmeyer

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2014 Jeep Patriot Oscar Mike Edition, 2012 Jeep Compass Limited
I know there are a ton of threads about this, but has anyone taken it to the dealer to see if something isn't connected right?
There was a TSB for some 19MY JLā€™s I believe for the defrost duct being pinched on the drivers side. Ive had to perform that repair once since it came out a couple years back. Other than that, I havenā€™t seen any other defrost duct issues.

Sponsored

cgagnon99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
There was a TSB for some 19MY JLā€™s I believe for the defrost duct being pinched on the drivers side. Ive had to perform that repair once since it came out a couple years back. Other than that, I havenā€™t seen any other defrost duct issues.
Well that's good. My 21 JLU should be here in the next few weeks so I'm crossing my fingers it is an isolated concern vs affecting every JL

Reactions: KDB

Deleted member 59098

Sometimes defrost works better if you have climate on the recirculating setting. I just replaced the stock wiper fluid with the deicer stuff and hope that helps. Funny that deicer fluid is illegal to sell in California. I picked some up across the border in Nevada.

hutchman

First Name
itufoijo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy
Mine seems to work fine. I wish my CJs would have worked 1/2 as good. There is no need to carry a towel to. wipe the windshield on the inside like was needed in the old days. But you all probably don't care much about the "old days."

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™m still waiting for FCA to launch the Widow Maker edition.

Karnak

First Name
Yan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL 3.6 Sport S - 2 door
Occupation
government
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
My defroster caused my window to crack Christmas Eveā€¦ As soon as I turned on the window defroster, which is probably the first time I have done that. Within seconds I heard the window pop. Now I have a crack that is about 10 inches long.

Jimac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My defroster caused my window to crack Christmas Eveā€¦ As soon as I turned on the window defroster, which is probably the first time I have done that. Within seconds I heard the window pop. Now I have a crack that is about 10 inches long.
This happened to my 2018 JLR delivered 4Jul 2018 first winter still driving with cracked windshield to this date All (5) Jeepā€™s owned had cracked windshield

A765B445-9180-4315-91A7-4A18EF3A1606.jpeg

Joeymon1

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara

I hear about this issue but Iā€™ve never had the problem. This is about a week ago and my defrost was only set on 50% speed although it was on full heat.
Yes, no problem here
Can't see a damn thing.
A jeep windshield = ice in the winter and bugs in the summer

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Yes, no problem here
Can't see a damn thing.
A jeep windshield = ice in the winter and bugs in the summer
Lol did you watch the video. The windshield is fine. Defrost is working as it should. The snow was coming down hard and fast thatā€™s why the visibility is low.