Brother in Blue

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Honda CRV
jl-faq.jpg

We asked what questions you still had after the official JL Wrangler info release, Mopar parts release, and our LA Auto Show debut coverage, so here are some answers for you!

To Come...
  • 2-door ordering begins February. Production starts in February per our JL schedule/timeline.
  • Half doors will be available in 2019. They will not come with uppers.
  • Power sliding top will be available early 2018.
    • Power sliding top is fully removable, but Jeep recommends it stay installed.
  • Hella Yella, Mojito!, Sting-Gray, Ocean Blue and Punk’n colors should be available March-April 2018.
  • Pricing will be announced by end of the year.
  • First JL's will arrive at dealers beginning early next year.
  • Jeep.com online builder will be available very soon.
Tires / Wheels / Suspension / Axles
  • Highline fenders are standard on all U.S. Rubicon.
  • Highline fenders are 2 inches higher than standard fenders.
  • 35 inch tires can fit the Rubicon without a lift and it is package protected -- axles can handle it and computers will compensate.
  • Full articulation is retained with 35's on factory Rubicon (without lift), but a lift would leave more room for comfort.
  • The standard tire carrier can be adjusted to hold a 35 inch tire.
  • Sahara can fit up to 32 inch tires factory stock.
  • Sahara can fit 35 inch tires with a 2 inch lift and hi-line fenders.
  • All models share the same standard tire carrier (none are upgraded or reinforced).
  • The optional upgraded Rubicon wheels are the all-black wheels. The two-tone wheels are standard.
  • “New” D35 axle is stronger than previous D35 with thicker tubing and stronger end forgings. It's utilized on the rear of the Sport and Sahara models.
  • The Dana 44 axle is heavier duty than the D35 axle and is used on both front and rear of Rubicon.
Interior
  • Rubicon get a red or black dash dictated by interior color. Black seats gets red dash and tan seats gets black dash. This is not optional and there are no options for gray trim. (We have confirmed this twice).
  • The Rubicon (red or black) dash is constructed of hardened plastic with metal accents.
  • Sahara model gets silver dash or leatherette dash.
  • Sport model gets black dash.
  • More dash trim options are in the works.
  • Difference between cloth seats and premium cloth seats: inserts and materials are different. The cloth seats feature a regular black cloth but the premium cloth seats features a patterned design and different trim inserts.
  • If the vehicle is locked, an alarm will sound if the hood is opened -- to prevent battery and hood theft.
Mopar
  • The Mopar Big Brake Kit is the same as the standard brakes on the Sahara and Rubicon.
  • The Mopar Snorkel works with the standard air box.
I have a question about a Mopar after market part I would be interested in. A security cover for a JLU like the "Jeep Backbone". Does Mopar build one? If so, can you please post a picture of it or a link to look at it?

MLPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Willys JK 6M
Can someone point me to the marketing brochure or document which says the all-black wheels are standard for Rubicon? Thx.
They aren't
Right, that's what this FAQ says. But there are members saying that they have seen materials saying that the all-black wheels are standard and two-tone wheels are upgrades, so I wanted to see what those people are referring to.

BDJeep1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon on order
I just ordered and don’t care about the red dash (granite exterior) but sure would like to get clarification on the Rubi wheels. I want all black like many others so I ordered standard in accordance with Jeep marketing.
The red dash will look really good with Granite.....sure seems like you need to order Rubicon wheel upgrade to get all black (like the one on the yellow show 4 door) from what Jay wrote.

tjrider99

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Subaru, Harley-Davidson Street Glide
  • Hella Yella, Mojito!, Sting-Gray, Ocean Blue and Punk’n colors should be available March-April 2018.
So, if these colors are available March-April 2018 how soon can you order them to get the first available?

Sponsored

4thjeep

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ram 1500
Can a Sahara take a 33” tire without lift?

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
For everyone concerned about the Red Dash on the Rubi, thats a easy fit compared to the RED Stitching that it matches on the seats and door panels. Also like above the Red tow hooks and red shocks.

Phenomenon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata
I guess having the red dash professionally wrapped is our only option if we want one of the body colors which happens to clash with it. Sucks, but it's not the end of the world.

What really bothers me is how the people in charge of design led such a great redesign of a modern icon but couldn't notice something so obvious as this red dash looking terrible with some of their body colors.

Campbell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger
Love that the power top is fully removable! Wonder why Jeep recommends it stays on tho?

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
If my red Rubi has the red dash, then I'll be thrilled. If it has a black dash, I'll be happy. If it has a silver dash, I'll be happy.

I ordered cloth seats, so I'm guessing the colored dash comes with leather. I haven't seen a Rubi with cloth seats yet, but since they are standard, and the painted dash is optional, I'm betting I get the black dash. If an easy change, I may make it match the firecracker red paint. I think they should have just made the dash the same color as the exterior, no matter what color it is.

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017
jl-faq.jpg

• Half doors will be available in 2019. They will not come with uppers.
Thanks for asking, champ. Not very good news about the uppers though. How are we supposed to stay dry or keep the mosquitos and small animals away when we want to?

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017
-What is meant by "the computer will compensate" for 35s? Does the dealer have to recalibrate the computer or can the user do this himself using the EVIC?
Ideally it means the vehicle will detect the actual distance moved forward by one revolution of the wheel and calculate the speed from that. Real distance can be measured either by using optical sensors aimed at the ground or, more likely, by using vehicle GPS to measure distance travelled and then by counting the wheel revolutions during that segment.

This would be great if done because it means it'll show the speed more accurately even when the tyre diameter is affected by wear and/or tyre pressure.
Sponsored