Sponsored

JL Wrangler easter egg: grille design on hood-windshield vents

JTman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JT to come
Good eye man. Love little details like this!!

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Are the hood vents there just to save some weight? Are they functional, and how do they keep rainwater from entering?

Sponsored

Ahmed

First Name
Quraysh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
JL got a great care in many details
The bonnet is one of those many things but unfortunately did not appear in the aesthetic required because of the red color.

Ahmed

First Name
Quraysh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
JL got a great care in many details
The bonnet is one of those many things but unfortunately did not appear in the aesthetic required because of the red color.
p_671ii3h51.jpg

2018-jeep-wrangler-easter-egg-jpg.jpg

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
I think the 1997 was the only Wrangler without the 7 slot air intake.

670535314-1L.jpg

1998- later TJ:
154_1005_07%2Bjeep%2Bwrangler%2Bjeep_tj_lj_wrangler%2Bvent.jpg

How's it keep rain out? It doesn't. Rather it works like a trap and allows the water to drain out lower in the box than where the HVAC takes in air. From there, the air is filtered anyway.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Are the hood vents there just to save some weight? Are they functional, and how do they keep rainwater from entering?
Now assuming you meant the vents we were talking about then The Hammer covered it.

As for the bigger ‘hood vents’ they are functional, but like the JK they will likely be channeled to manage air & water flow, and therefore can and likely will be opened up further with mods to improve venting when the vehicle is stationary or slow moving. Both designs are assisted by faster moving low pressure air drawing dead air out of the engine bay.

The current hood vent holes channels water to a void and a plastic covered dead spot, this vent seems similarly designed, and is surprising as the early examples were more like a metal grate/mesh on early test mules.

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Rubicon X, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 MINI Cooper
The JL hood vents could be like those on the 10/X/HR/etc/etc/etc hood. When you truly need the extra ventilation, the plastic pieces just quickly pop out, leaving the full opening open.

Yea, I know. People have no problems removing the hard top, removing the doors, dropping the windshield, but the thought of all the hard work required to pop out the plastic pieces is just too unreasonable. :whew:

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The JL hood vents could be like those on the 10/X/HR/etc/etc/etc hood. When you truly need the extra ventilation, the plastic pieces just quickly pop out, leaving the full opening open.

Yea, I know. People have no problems removing the hard top, removing the doors, dropping the windshield, but the thought of all the hard work required to pop out the plastic pieces is just too unreasonable. :whew:
LOL, actually I have 2 sets, one moded for Summer where the bottom is cut out, allowing for heat dissipation while moving slowly or stoped-idling on the hill to look at buried cables, etc. Then in the Winter I swap back to the small hole stock setup to improve engine/heater warm-up times in the cold. I swap them at Winter/Summer-tyre change.

However, poping them out is prett easy, and definitely effective for lowering temps.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hope there are more 'easter eggs' to find. :):)
There is guaranteed to be a TON !

For the myriad they added to the Renegade, the New JL has got to be even more so, awash with them at every opportunity IMO.

Some might find this over the top, and eye-roll-inducing, but they just need to get over themselves. If you’re gonna make something functional, what’s the harm in adding a bit of Jeep inspired flair?

Speaking of which...

“We Want you to express yourself, and if you feel that the Bare Minimum is enough.. well.. then... Some people chose to have more, and We Encourage that...

Now, it's up to you whether or not you want to just have the bare minimum Flair... Or.. Well... like Renegade over there... for example, he has 37 pieces of Flair... and.. a TERRIFIC smile. :sun:

People can get an SUV anywhere... OK? They come to JEEP for the upper atmosphere and the altitude... m’kay.. THAT is what the Flair's about... it's about FUN !!”
:party:

A blast from the past , back in the days when ‘Joanna’ was the ‘ideal’ :rock: ;

And can’t miss-out on adding this clip too;

Runngun18

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon JL
Occupation
Retired Fuzz/Hobo/Will work for Whiskey...
I opened mine up. Jeep motors are meant to be exposed to the elements, just like driving through rain or through deep streams or rivers. Mine has been like this for 2 years, no issues yet....

Hood Vents.jpg
Sponsored