JL Wrangler **Base Model Club**

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
The next generation of people will not buy a vehicle unless it has Google car play and or Apple car play. Hence the 7" screen is a must for re-sale in my opinion.
I disagree. I use my Android device all the time in my Jeep. It's mounted right next to the stereo on the dash. I don't see a reason to control my phone/tablet from the stereo, just control it straight on the device, if necessary.
Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

I think it's pretty good and I'm happy with it overall but I have two gripes with it: 1. Sometimes it has a delay in responding when you press the buttons and 2. about half the time when I start the car it starts reading MP3s at the beginning of the library instead of continuing from where it left off. I'm hoping these issues will be addressed in a software update.

The next best stereo is the 7" for about $4,200 more ($3,200 more for Sport S and $1,000 more for the tech package to get that stereo) and even then I don't know if that stereo has any more power.

You can upgrade the speakers and get a bump in sound quality:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ocker-d-i-y-wiring-harness.12738/#post-315395
$4200 more to jump up to S?

im fine with the standard radio. the slight delay bugs me some times but no biggie. we have our phones connected via BT and that works for us. my 17 year old daughter drives the jeep more than anyone and she loves it. im sure having apply play or whatever would be nice but not necessary. none of my other vehicles have it either. im beyond happy with BT. no more having to plug the phone into the radio bs. also love the standard back up camera as well. if i wanted a killer stereo id build a system myself. but those days have looong passed.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
lmao! never thought of it like that. :cwl:
Yup. I had a 98 TJ as well with half doors. Was fun going through drive-throughs and unzipping the window and having to tuck it in. I can crank windows down pretty good and it gives muscle to my left arm which needs to catch up to my high ;) lol

Sponsored

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Neither you nor I are the next generation. We will have to wait about 5 years to see which if us is correct.
You're right; I can't speak for the next generation. But by the same token I wasn't too concerned with their needs when I was buying my Wrangler. Meet you right here in 5 years. :like:

HotSpringsJL

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL base sport
$4200 more to jump up to S?

im fine with the standard radio. the slight delay bugs me some times but no biggie. we have our phones connected via BT and that works for us. my 17 year old daughter drives the jeep more than anyone and she loves it. im sure having apply play or whatever would be nice but not necessary. none of my other vehicles have it either. im beyond happy with BT. no more having to plug the phone into the radio bs. also love the standard back up camera as well. if i wanted a killer stereo id build a system myself. but those days have looong passed.
I have a base jeep with the only option automatic transmission. I agree it was not worth the price to upgrade the radio. However I just upgraded to the 7 inch screen for $450 all in. All you need to do is order the radio and bezel through a mopar site. Literally took 10 minutes and a Phillip screwdriver to swap out

IPvFletch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
I keep reading or hearing about Rubicon owners, upgrading all the stuff they already had paid extra for.. It re-assures me I did the right thing by getting a Sport...

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a base jeep with the only option automatic transmission. I agree it was not worth the price to upgrade the radio. However I just upgraded to the 7 inch screen for $450 all in. All you need to do is order the radio and bezel through a mopar site. Literally took 10 minutes and a Phillip screwdriver to swap out
Did you also change the A/C center stack module? If not, is your only volume control the one behind the steering wheel?

HotSpringsJL

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL base sport
Did you also change the A/C center stack module? If not, is your only volume control the one behind the steering wheel?
I didn’t change the ac module. I just control the volume with the steering wheel. Keeps your passengers from turning down the radio. You also lose the ability to turn off the screen. No big deal for me.

Sponsored

HotSpringsJL

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL base sport
So far I have bought some Sahara wheels and tires. Upgraded the radio to seven inches. Added Rubicon rock rails and gas door. Looks pretty good for a base jeep with only $1200 on upgrades.

Combat Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green JL Willys
Hi guys this is my first post! I do not own a JL yet but am in the process of getting my options together to order a 2019. I'm leaning towards the base sport 2 door. I have a question for any owners that have the base Uconnect 3 with 5" screen. When using apps like Waze through my cell phone, will the app sound (voice) come though the Jeep speakers when connected via Bluetooth? What about if I am listening to music? Will it lower the music volume like it should automatically when the app chimes in? I will be using my iPhone via bluetooth.
Thanks,
Chuck

lbau317

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Hello all!

My only options were Freedom hard top and LSD. Love the simplicity! Manual, crank windows, manual door locks. Beckons back to a simpler time!

Swapped out to a take off Rubi suspension and 33s on the steel wheels. Like to do bumpers, winch, lockers, and a Dana 44 front axle swap.
2018-11-26 08.24.10.jpg

lbau317

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Hi guys this is my first post! I do not own a JL yet but am in the process of getting my options together to order a 2019. I'm leaning towards the base sport 2 door. I have a question for any owners that have the base Uconnect 3 with 5" screen. When using apps like Waze through my cell phone, will the app sound (voice) come though the Jeep speakers when connected via Bluetooth? What about if I am listening to music? Will it lower the music volume like it should automatically when the app chimes in? I will be using my iPhone via bluetooth.
Thanks,
Chuck
Yes, anything coming from your phone (music, nav, etc) when connected through BT will work because it's controlled through the phone. It will not cut in when listening to music through the radio, or another USB device. Hope this helps!

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks,
Chuck
The stereo only controls your phone in basic ways like skip, pause, next track, etc. As far as the Bluetooth streaming goes, it just puts out what your phone puts out. That's it, very basic.
Sponsored