JL Wrangler **Base Model Club**

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
More important is that the tire diameter increase will effectively make your gears taller, and in some cases even make top gear unusable. My buddy went 4" bigger on his Toyota, and 4th became as tall as 5th, and 5th became unusable. And mileage tanked.

If I go 33's I might look for 4.10 ratios one day. High ratios feel worlds better off-road in low range.
You're absolutely right. I didn't think of that since my Sport will be 6-speed manual. However, your auto trans can also be reprogrammed back to same shift points. I've heard of dealers charging $100 plus for this service.
Sponsored

OP
OP
That One Guy

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
You're absolutely right. I didn't think of that since my Sport will be 6-speed manual. However, your auto trans can also be reprogrammed back to same shift points. I've heard of dealers charging $100 plus for this service.
It's still a potential problem with a manual transmission all the same. The gap between gears will widen. If you did something like put 35's on the stock non-rubicon ratios, shifting at 4,000rpm could do something like drop to 2,000rpm in the next gear. I witnessed this going up in tire size repeatedly in my 4Runner.

Staying on the stock ratios on 33's (or higher) won't break anything, but it's not ideal, driving it won't be ideal, and you're worsening your crawl ratio if you go offroad.

It's kind of a toss-up, because while it is nice that Jeep upped the stock axle ratios on the JL, they also removed the option to put 3.73's in, which I would do if it was still around. I imagine a future Willy's Wheeler trim will have this.

If I put 33's on, it'll be because I'm getting more serious with my JL (I'm also going 6 speed manual btw). And I'll probably put new, higher diff ratios in, along with a locker in the rear or both. Might as well do it all at once. But I'm eager to get a couple good years out of the stock axle and LSD. I'm planning on wearing out the original A/T factory set at the least.

OP
OP
That One Guy

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
So do you guys think putting 33s on a sahara with the Dana 44/DSA is a bad idea ? MT btw
You'd be fine, but one day down the road you might wanna up the diff ratios. Starting off in 1st will be slightly harder, gear gap will be slightly wider, low range won't be quite as low, etc.

As far as these new axles, it appears they'll take 33's and a beating no problem, especially spec'ing the rear Dana 44 (like me and you) to get the hell away from the Dana 35. I almost can't forgive them for even bringing that infamous name back.

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6
You'd be fine, but one day down the road you might wanna up the diff ratios. Starting off in 1st will be slightly harder, gear gap will be slightly wider, low range won't be quite as low, etc.

As far as these new axles, it appears they'll take 33's and a beating no problem, especially spec'ing the rear Dana 44 (like me and you) to get the hell away from the Dana 35. I almost can't forgive them for even bringing that infamous name back.
And would it hurt the mpg’s ?

Sponsored

OP
OP
That One Guy

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This afternoon I officially considered a 4 door Sport, since they're only $2,200 more than a 2 door Sport with A/C optioned. It's a great value, and is probably retains more than the $2,200 additional price in resale value.

Happy to report that I have thrown that idea away, even though that's cheap for how much more useful the vehicle becomes. I don't need ultimate useful. Or better resale. I need the classic image and sensation!

2 door master race.

MikeM1968

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
This afternoon I officially considered a 4 door Sport, since they're only $2,200 more than a 2 door Sport with A/C optioned. It's a great value, and is probably retains more than the $2,200 additional price in resale value.

Happy to report that I have thrown that idea away, even though that's cheap for how much more useful the vehicle becomes. I don't need ultimate useful. Or better resale. I need the classic image and sensation!

2 door master race.
LOL I was thinking the same- I’m like- wow I can get a 4 door WITH AC for a little bit more, but also tossed that idea in the trash. No little kids here ( my step kids are all grown) it’s usually just me or myself and my wife....so 4 doors just feels like 2 too many for me.

I mean I was even fantasizing about the Rubicon, because, I mean I don’t really “need” to eat, right? LOL

Base means more money for extras when they come out and gives me a better edge on upkeep down the line, not being alien to a wrench or fixing/ maintenance on my own vehicles. It’s a vehicle I plan/ hope to keep for quite a while. I’ve had my current vehicle for going on 12 years. A 4 door Dodge Caliber wagon that’s practically NEVER had anyone in the rear seats LOL.

I probably plan on keeping this even longer- approaching the big five oh soon, it might even be the last car I ever buy. At least unless I get too old and frail to climb into it !! LOL :cwl:

OP
OP
That One Guy

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LOL I was thinking the same- I’m like- wow I can get a 4 door WITH AC for a little bit more, but also tossed that idea in the trash. No little kids here ( my step kids are all grown) it’s usually just me or myself and my wife....so 4 doors just feels like 2 too many for me.

I mean I was even fantasizing about the Rubicon, because, I mean I don’t really “need” to eat, right? LOL

Base means more money for extras when they come out and gives me a better edge on upkeep down the line, not being alien to a wrench or fixing/ maintenance on my own vehicles. It’s a vehicle I plan/ hope to keep for quite a while. I’ve had my current vehicle for going on 12 years. A 4 door Dodge Caliber wagon that’s practically NEVER had anyone in the rear seats LOL.

I probably plan on keeping this even longer- approaching the big five oh soon, it might even be the last car I ever buy. At least unless I get too old and frail to climb into it !! LOL :cwl:
It's been fun to do all the shopping lol. At one point I almost wanted to fairly well spec a Sport S. But that would be $35,000 for an okay-equipped vehicle. I'm getting a major raise at work and am consiiidering a Sport S, maybe just a tiny bit. But then I have to pay for stuff I'm gonna throw away, such as those rims.

Still, tint, leather wrapped wheel, power group and such would be nice. And the potential to up to a stereo that isn't a joke. My 2004 Accord has a touch screen nav and infotainment leaps and bounds above the uconnect 5".

Bluegoose972

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Firecracker Red, 1966 Mustang Convertible (rebuilding)
The difference is 1.5" overall. Regearing is required when the wheel/tire weight increases a lot. One thing to keep in mind is if you change the stock steel wheel to an aluminum/alloy one, you can realize some weight savings there to offset the added tire weight.
My dealer has a Sport S with Mopar lift and 35" tires. Took it for a drive. Surprisingly, didn't feel much of a decline in performance from the stock version, but sure looked impressive. And actually felt like it had better performance than a JKUR that I also test drove, mainly because of the different transmission gears. The low gears in the new auto tranny really make a huge difference.

Butterybunz

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2017 Ford Fiesta ST & Fiat 500x Trekking Plus
My Sport arrived last Friday, 5 weeks after placing my order. I'm in love. It's everything I hoped it would be a much more. Finding every excuse I can to drive it. I've already gotten it dirty and have planned an off-road trip at the beginning of April.

Options:
LSD
Trailer Tow
Hardtop

The manual transmission is fantastic!
Jj3EIeY.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
That One Guy

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Sport arrived last Friday, 5 weeks after placing my order. I'm in love. It's everything I hoped it would be a much more. Finding every excuse I can to drive it. I've already gotten it dirty and have planned an off-road trip at the beginning of April.

Options:
LSD
Trailer Tow
Hardtop

Jj3EIeY.jpg
Awesome. Pics of the interior, as well as offroading, would be much appreciated.

Thanks for keeping the spirit of the real Jeep Wrangler alive. :)

kablam0r

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL

Options:
LSD
Trailer Tow
Hardtop

Jj3EIeY.jpg
I got the upgraded aluminum wheels and wish I would have just stuck with the black steel wheels!
I stuck with the manual but did the upgrade package with the power doors/locks and upgraded floor mats.

RaceAir

First Name
RaceAir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki DR-Z400SM
Hey Buttery!

Congrats on the Sport. It looks from your description that you probably have the Uconnect 3.0 system with the 5-inch screen.

Since you have the Trailer tow, could you tell us if you can program those aux buttons via the Uconnect 5-inch?

FCA said no they can't, but I saw elsewhere they could.

Woul you mind checking out if you have menu options to program the AUX buttons?

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Hey Buttery!

Congrats on the Sport. It looks from your description that you probably have the Uconnect 3.0 system with the 5-inch screen.

Since you have the Trailer tow, could you tell us if you can program those aux buttons via the Uconnect 5-inch?

FCA said no they can't, but I saw elsewhere they could.

Woul you mind checking out if you have menu options to program the AUX buttons?
I think I saw the same post as you. I think the user said the option they see in the Uconnect 3.0 but without anything hooked up they could not verify if they could actually program it. We will need somebody with this setup to wire in something and test it to find out unfortunately.
Sponsored