JL Wrangler Australia

JJames

First Name
Jomesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Rover Evoque
So i bought new tyres the other week as Im not a fan of having the 32" KM2's on.. The Americans in this forum will laugh at this, but to keep the car legal for at least the first 12 months in terms of tyre size until i decide what rims and all I want to run and go 35s, I bought some Nitto Ridge Grapplers, 295/70/17 which puts them at around 33.3" and while not exactly huge.. it will be a bit nicer on fuel on those high way runs i always do for now.. and they should hopefully look a bit tougher than stock.

And for those curious on how they look next to other cars hahaha.. Here are some pics next to a Lamborghini Huracan Performante and a Audi R8, Plus also a comparison shot next to standard wheels off a 2009 Subaru Forester XT. So while, 33" sounds small in the grand scheme of things, They should be bigger than most legal tyres in Australia at least.

Tyre size difference next to standard VW Caddy wheels is jsut comical

2019-06-26 16.41.33.jpg

Nittos vs Standard Forester tyres.
2019-06-26 18.21.24.jpg

2019-06-26 16.36.21.jpg
2019-06-26 16.35.04.jpg
Nice. Are you planning to whack them on to the stock Rubicon wheels? Any plans for suspension lifts as yet?

Jaydee_S

First Name
Jaydee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito Rubicon
Nice. Are you planning to whack them on to the stock Rubicon wheels? Any plans for suspension lifts as yet?
Yeah, Im going to chuck these on the stock rims. 295 seems to be the widest we can safely go at least from Nitto. I mean some people on here have gone wider with no issues, though I'd rather keep within Nitto spec.

There should be no rubbing issues stock, we'll see soon enough and I'll be doing a 2" lift asap, Just not sure what lift as I want to make sure what ever it is will have no issues with the Aus spec Rubicons..

jwas

First Name
Jwas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
"Protektiv HYDRO surface ceramic coating" - dealers are pushing or recommending this... anyone got any experience on this ? or suggestions ?

Steve0

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S3
"Protektiv HYDRO surface ceramic coating" - dealers are pushing or recommending this... anyone got any experience on this ? or suggestions ?
My 2 cents - You don’t need paint protection, especially from a car dealer. This is price gouging 101, steer clear.

Sponsored

Jaydee_S

First Name
Jaydee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito Rubicon
I apply paint protection film to cars for work and deal with ceramic coatings and detailing on a daily basis.

I would not get a dealership to put a ceramic coating on your car.. As you just dont know what they'll end up putting on your car for an extremely insane price. Plus if they do put an actually ceramic coating on it and the car has swirl marks in the paint, then you'll forever be seeing swirl marks as its "locked in" with the coating (Unless if you have someone remove the coating)

just my two cents...

COKENOGOOD

First Name
Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Black
Hi all,

I’m looking into hood locks. I found there are brands, MOPAR and BOLT. BOLT seems has some advantage on price. Is there suggestion on hood lock? Or you are just OK with no lock at all?

Rubi D

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon Diesel, Hella Yella
Hi all,

I’m looking into hood locks. I found there are brands, MOPAR and BOLT. BOLT seems has some advantage on price. Is there suggestion on hood lock? Or you are just OK with no lock at all?
From what I have read, BOLT is now apparently using a lock that will allow you to remove the key in either the locked or unlocked position. (Handy if you don't want the bonnet locked for any reason.) Earlier versions only allowed removal of the key in the lock position.
I ordered a unit from BOLT Australia back on the 18th of June. Stock is supposed to be in the country any time now, but I am still waiting on mine.

COKENOGOOD

First Name
Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Black
From what I have read, BOLT is now apparently using a lock that will allow you to remove the key in either the locked or unlocked position. (Handy if you don't want the bonnet locked for any reason.) Earlier versions only allowed removal of the key in the lock position.
I ordered a unit from BOLT Australia back on the 18th of June. Stock is supposed to be in the country any time now, but I am still waiting on mine.
is it using the same key (the factory key)? Please update when you received.

Rubi D

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon Diesel, Hella Yella
is it using the same key (the factory key)? Please update when you received.
Yes, according to BOLT, the lock will code itself when the factory key is first inserted. When talking with them on the phone, they gave me some tips on what to do when installing. That is, insert the factory key and test the lock works correctly before installing in the vehicle.

I will confirm once I receive the lock.

Sponsored

COKENOGOOD

First Name
Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Black
Not sure if anyone else noticed.
Even with any door does not shut properly or remain open position, you still can lock your car, you will see it flash once...

it’s a normal thing to wrangler?
Because it seems for other cars I know, the turning lights will flash twice and the car won’t lock if any door does not shut completely...

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure if anyone else noticed.
Even with any door does not shut properly or remain open position, you still can lock your car, you will see it flash once...

it’s a normal thing to wrangler?
Because it seems for other cars I know, the turning lights will flash twice and the car won’t lock if any door does not shut completely...
I think it is due to the ability of the Wrangler to go doorless. For example, if my front doors are off, I can hit the lock button and the rears will still lock.

COKENOGOOD

First Name
Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Black
I think it is due to the ability of the Wrangler to go doorless. For example, if my front doors are off, I can hit the lock button and the rears will still lock.
Alright, that makes sense...

with front door off, no need to lock rear of doors...:idea:
Sponsored