JL won't let me disable auto seat/steering wheel heat

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
sounds like we're going to have to make FCA aware of this and hope that it ever gets patched. Really hope there are enough manual transmission owners that escalate the issue that they bother to care about it.
Honestly I am one to usually try to look past some things that may seem a bit unnecessary but even if there were only 10 manuals in the United States I feel they need to fix this. I tend to think the EPA got on them about fuel efficiency and that may be why you have to manually turn it off every time you start it. This heated seat option however absolutely should be up to you as to what temp it automatically comes on or be able to turn off the automatic setting so it only goes on when you push the button.
Sponsored

agordon117

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR HellaYella
Honestly I am one to usually try to look past some things that may seem a bit unnecessary but even if there were only 10 manuals in the United States I feel they need to fix this. I tend to think the EPA got on them about fuel efficiency and that may be why you have to manually turn it off every time you start it. This heated seat option however absolutely should be up to you as to what temp it automatically comes on or be able to turn off the automatic setting so it only goes on when you push the button.
The ESS I can live with, but the seat heat is absurd.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
@felixk2
It's definitely in there. I just got a JLU Sport with the smallest Uconnect screen possible, and even that had the setting for the auto-on of the heated wheel and seats. I don't remember off hand exactly what menu it was, but I hit the "Settings" button (an actual physical button for me next to the screen) and then just combed through each option, even if it didn't seem like the option would contain it - just click them all! It'll only take you a minute. But it is definitely there, even on the lowest radio system.

When you do find it, it lets you set the auto-on heating elements for remote start or regular start (or both), or not at all.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Come on guys, read the original post. The question is regarding a 6 speed manual transmission. They do not have remote starts on manual transmissions.
That's fine - remote start is just one of the options in the setting I found in mine. OP's Uconnect should still have the same capability, just sans the remote start sub-option, obviously.

Sponsored

bam1111

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
That's fine - remote start is just one of the options in the setting I found in mine. OP's Uconnect should still have the same capability, just sans the remote start sub-option, obviously.
I checked my unconnect under settings and there doesn’t appear Options to control heated seats or heated wheels at startup. It appears to only be an option if you have an automatic transmission that has the ability to remote start.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Yes, it SHOULD still have the same option. We're telling you that it DOESN'T.
Ok, no worries. Seems like something that can be easily patched into the software, then. My dealership told me today that FCA (and probably other companies) are starting to do a lot of those fixes as live updates, so if it's pretty simple and they hear the complaint, maybe it can fixed before long.

Sponsored

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
-We should not be forced to disable ESS every time we enter the vehicle if we don't want it to be active
-We should not be forced to turn off seat and steering wheel heat every time it's below 40F
-We should be able to turn running lights completely off while the car is running and parked

I agree that not being able to control whether or not the seats come on automatically is absolutely idiotic. They must have a patch for this in the works, especially considering this isn't a mechanical switch issue, but a UConnect one.

DRL are an IIHS issue: making them "always-on" increases a manufacturer's rating with the IIHS (but, yes, they should absolutely be defeatable manually. When I'm stalking someone, I want my car to be on and still be invisible...)

The ESS on must be the default on every restart for it to apply to a car's fuel rating for CAFE regs (but at least they make that defeatable). This will always be the case moving forward, so you do have to either "deal with it" or use one of the many hacks on the forum to disable it.

agordon117

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR HellaYella
I agree that not being able to control whether or not the seats come on automatically is absolutely idiotic. They must have a patch for this in the works, especially considering this isn't a mechanical switch issue, but a UConnect one.

DRL are an IIHS issue: making them "always-on" increases a manufacturer's rating with the IIHS (but, yes, they should absolutely be defeatable manually. When I'm stalking someone, I want my car to be on and still be invisible...)

The ESS on must be the default on every restart for it to apply to a car's fuel rating for CAFE regs (but at least they make that defeatable). This will always be the case moving forward, so you do have to either "deal with it" or use one of the many hacks on the forum to disable it.
I get why ESS must be on by default, but the way I drive a manual, it's going to be very annoying. I don't generally take my foot off of the clutch when I'm sitting at a light. When I do it's because I'm digging for my wallet or something. At that point when I let of the clutch, having not experienced ESS for the previous week or so, it's going to make me double take. I drive a manual because I like telling my car what to do, not the other way around. But more and more I'm losing the ability to decide how my vehicle operates without jumping through hoops. And again, I can live with that (don't care much for the half baked mods that defeat it so far), but it's annoying regardless.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
I get why ESS must be on by default, but the way I drive a manual, it's going to be very annoying. I don't generally take my foot off of the clutch when I'm sitting at a light. When I do it's because I'm digging for my wallet or something. At that point when I let of the clutch, having not experienced ESS for the previous week or so, it's going to make me double take. I drive a manual because I like telling my car what to do, not the other way around. But more and more I'm losing the ability to decide how my vehicle operates without jumping through hoops. And again, I can live with that (don't care much for the half baked mods that defeat it so far), but it's annoying regardless.
Yup. I get it, I love the control of a manual, too. I, myself, like to coast to anticipated stops in neutral, clutch disengaged, which will activate ESS upon stopping. Depressing the clutch, even a little bit, will restart the car, so I think the ESS is something we'll adjust to, mostly because we have no choice moving forward. The heated seat thing, however, is just a dumb oversight by Jeep. I have faith that they'll fix it, but it's one more reason why I'm waiting for MY19 before I order.

If this ever becomes a CVT only country, though, I'm moving out.

jeepfandotcom

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepfan.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sting Grey JLUR 4xe, 2004 TJ, 1978 CJ-5
Seems to be the pretty typical response any time an issue comes up with a JL. "Hey, this thing is forcing me to take extra steps every time I drive." "Oh, well it's a jeep, so just push the 3 buttons and deal with it". Why is it so hard for everyone to get the fact that anything defaulting to on should be able to default to off? Why are we not allowed to expect that we don't have to turn off seat heat and the heated steering wheel every single time the temp drops below whatever arbitrary number FCA decided to turn them on at?

We should be able to tell our cars to do the thing we want them to do one time, and it will always do it that way. What if the climate system blasted full heat any time it was below 40F? Are we not allowed to expect that it remembers our previous settings? Maybe cars shouldn't have adjustable seats either and if we don't like the way it's positioned, we should just pound salt?

If something defaults to on, it needs to be able to default to off also.

-We should not be forced to disable ESS every time we enter the vehicle if we don't want it to be active
-We should not be forced to turn off seat and steering wheel heat every time it's below 40F
-We should be able to turn running lights completely off while the car is running and parked

In this case especially, it seems like auto trans variants have an option to disable this feature, but standard does not. This is something FCA has overlooked, and it needs to be corrected. We should not be expected to be told to "just deal with it".
Kind of reminds me of my old CJ. Extra steps to do before driving.

Under 40 degrees. Get in pump the gas twice, pull the choke, say a prayer.
Attempt to start 3-4 times.
Once it starts do not even think of moving until the engine warms for 2-3 minutes.
Attempt to drive, stalls, restart.

We move ahead or do we?

Ruby Jack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
The joys of buying one of the first vehicles in a brand new generation... We get to discover all the little bugs for them.
Sponsored