JL won't let me disable auto seat/steering wheel heat

felixk2

First Name
Felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing
The JL does this annoying thing where it turns on the steering wheel and seat heat automatically when temps are below 40 degrees F. According to the manual the settings page in Uconnect should have an option for "Auto Comfort Systems" then "Auto-On Driver Heated/Ventilated Seat & Steering Wheel With Vehicle Start"

I don't have this option in Uconnect. Anyone else missing this? I suspect it's because I have a standard transmission JL and this is somehow related to the remote start functionality.

Anyone have any ideas how to disable this?

Thanks
Felix
Sponsored

lookitsadam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Is this happening when you start the Jeep normally, as in not using remote start? I could be wrong but I think it's programmed to do that with remote start every time if the temps are below 40, and the 'auto comfort' settings are for when you start it without remote start.

FUBAR

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
He mentioned he has "standard transmission JL" which I assume is manual. That would mean no remote start option, only choice would be to start manually.

agordon117

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR HellaYella
Standard transmission = no auto start. There better be an option to disable that or we're going to have to raise hell to get any sort of response out of FCA. Seat heat should never default to on if there isn't an option to force it to default to off. Definitely do not want that forced feature in my standard transmission JL.

OP
OP

felixk2

First Name
Felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing
Yea standard = no auto start, but we should still be able to turn off auto seat heat, and wheel heat.

It's so annoying, i get in my car, outside temps are 39 degrees F, and now i have to hit three buttons before i can drive: 1. turn off wheel heat, 2. turn off seat heat, and 3. turn off Auto Start/Stop.

Sponsored

agordon117

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR HellaYella
At least they could let us change the threshold to something reasonable. If I could set it to not turn on with the car until -10F, I'd be fine with that. But there are far more 39F days here that I don't need seat heat for than there are 0F days that I need it.

OP
OP

felixk2

First Name
Felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing
My settings are in Uconnect under settings and I think comfort/convenience. I have the option to turn them off or on with all starts or just remote starts.
Do you have a standard or automatic transmission?

OP
OP

felixk2

First Name
Felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing
Yea makes sense, thats why you have that option. I have a manual, and my Uconnect doesn't have that setting screen. Anyone else with a manual and heated seats, can you check if you have that option in your Uconnect settings?

Sponsored

agordon117

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR HellaYella
Seems to be the pretty typical response any time an issue comes up with a JL. "Hey, this thing is forcing me to take extra steps every time I drive." "Oh, well it's a jeep, so just push the 3 buttons and deal with it". Why is it so hard for everyone to get the fact that anything defaulting to on should be able to default to off? Why are we not allowed to expect that we don't have to turn off seat heat and the heated steering wheel every single time the temp drops below whatever arbitrary number FCA decided to turn them on at?

We should be able to tell our cars to do the thing we want them to do one time, and it will always do it that way. What if the climate system blasted full heat any time it was below 40F? Are we not allowed to expect that it remembers our previous settings? Maybe cars shouldn't have adjustable seats either and if we don't like the way it's positioned, we should just pound salt?

If something defaults to on, it needs to be able to default to off also.

-We should not be forced to disable ESS every time we enter the vehicle if we don't want it to be active
-We should not be forced to turn off seat and steering wheel heat every time it's below 40F
-We should be able to turn running lights completely off while the car is running and parked

In this case especially, it seems like auto trans variants have an option to disable this feature, but standard does not. This is something FCA has overlooked, and it needs to be corrected. We should not be expected to be told to "just deal with it".

bam1111

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Yea makes sense, thats why you have that option. I have a manual, and my Uconnect doesn't have that setting screen. Anyone else with a manual and heated seats, can you check if you have that option in your Uconnect settings?
Just checked my JLUR manual transmission and like you, I don’t have the option in uconnect settings to control the automatic activation of the heated seats and steering wheel below 40 degrees.

DudeJeeper

First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Granite HardRock Rubicon.
Is this happening when you start the Jeep normally, as in not using remote start? I could be wrong but I think it's programmed to do that with remote start every time if the temps are below 40, and the 'auto comfort' settings are for when you start it without remote start.
Go to the settings screen in the center console.you have the option to have on on remote start or every start and turn it off.

agordon117

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR HellaYella
sounds like we're going to have to make FCA aware of this and hope that it ever gets patched. Really hope there are enough manual transmission owners that escalate the issue that they bother to care about it.
Sponsored