JL Windshield on National Backorder?

Hypnosx7x

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
I cracked my windshield two weeks after ownership while driving on the interstate, bummer! The huge chip was right in my line of sight, so I decided to get it replaced even though the Jeep was brand new. I went with a popular and reputable glass shop in town to replace it. The first windshield was installed and a scratch was found on the drivers side during post inspection. They ordered a 2nd one and called to tell me that it arrived from the dealer scratched and they would order another one. The 3rd windshield arrived and was brought out to install, but an even bigger scratch than the first windshield was found during pre installation. Now I'm being told that the windshield for the JL is on national backorder, with no expected delivery date. The glass shop is saying the backorder is due to the scratches being found on windshields throughout the country. They also say the gorilla glass isn't an option at the moment, as the one for the JL is on backorder as well. Anyone else having or heard of this scratch issue, or am I getting the run around from the glass shop?

On another note: First time Jeeper, and loving the JL. 3,100 miles of awesomeness completed!
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Hypnosx7x

Contact Safelite Auto Glass in regard to the windshield. Forum member's here have been reporting they can get the MOPAR, Acoustical Glass Windshield in say 2-4 days.

See the Safelite receipt below for the part # / windshield you need to ask them about. Safelite Auto Glass is excellent to deal with..

safelite receipt - JL Windshield.jpg

JLacoustical glass.JPG

CypressWrangler

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JLU
What is the deal with the glass scratching so easily? I have scratches all over mine from using a beat up metal windshield washer brush.

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
Well, I hope that the reported windshield shortage does not affect the assembly/production line.

OP
OP

Hypnosx7x

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
@Hypnosx7x

Contact Safelite Auto Glass in regard to the windshield. Forum member's here have been reporting they can get the MOPAR, Acoustical Glass Windshield in say 2-4 days.

See the Safelite receipt below for the part # / windshield you need to ask them about. Safelite Auto Glass is excellent to deal with..

@Hypnosx7x

safelite receipt - JL Windshield.jpg

JLacoustical glass.JPG
Yeah, this is the one they put on the 1st time and it did only take like 2 days to get in. Safelite was the option the insurance recommended, but our local branch gets terrible reviews. Which is why I went went the more popular option. Not sure how I can switch though at this point as the 1st replacement is still on my Jeep. Can't decide if replacement windshield are truly on backorder like they say, or they are scratching it after delivery and passing the blame to the dealer.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Hypnosx7x

Suggest in the future you not go to the dealer for glass replacement.

Now, for the rear window, if it's say a warranty replacement rear window glass because of defroster issues, etc., then yes, do go to the dealership.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What is the deal with the glass scratching so easily? I have scratches all over mine from using a beat up metal windshield washer brush.
Kind-a self explanatory isn't it... Daaaaaah, why would you even use a metal windshield brush on a vehicle's window.

CypressWrangler

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JLU
Kind-a self explanatory isn't it... Daaaaaah, why would you even use a metal windshield brush on a vehicle's window.
That was what was at the gas station....Metal frame with a wooden handle....old school style vs the new ones made of plastic. I did not press down hard but guessing it was hard enough for the metal frame to hit the glass.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@CypressWrangler

I travel lots on the interstates... across country, etc.. I learned years ago not to use the washer/squeezes / windshield fluid buckets at gas stations. Either the handles will scratch the windshield or the chittt in the wash water will..

I carry my own windshield cleaner and a rinse-able sponge material sheet to clean my windows with.

Another thing I learned years ago is to never try to wipe off, scrape off, etc., bird chitt.

Bird chitt often has grit in it that will easily scratch a window glass. Bird chittt needs to be soaked off... rinsed off.. or else..

RockyMtnHigh

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon - Punk'n Orange
Insurance Lady: Does your windshield have a Jeep icon crawling up the passenger side corner?

Me: Yes, It's factory Mopar.

Insurance Lady: Would you be interested in a cheaper 3rd party option without the Jeep icon?

Me: No. No I would not.

To clarify they don't have 3rd party options yet, she was just used to dealing with JKs

Sponsored

303rider

First Name
Soleil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
For what?
I turned the defroster on first week in my 2018 JLUR and the front windshield cracked from the base up. No rocks, just pulling out of a parking lot.

There are too many posts on this forum about the windshield to not think it should be looked into.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I turned the defroster on first week in my 2018 JLUR and the front windshield cracked from the base up. No rocks, just pulling out of a parking lot.

There are too many posts on this forum about the windshield to not think it should be looked into.
I have had 2 windshields do this same thing. I've been driving around with a broken one for months now. Look below the wipers, on the black part, for a tiny impact mark at the start of the crack.

303rider

First Name
Soleil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I have had 2 windshields do this same thing. I've been driving around with a broken one for months now. Look below the wipers, on the black part, for a tiny impact mark at the start of the crack.
I will look.
Sponsored