First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR Mojito, 1993 YJ, 2001 Ram 2500, 2012 Ram Dually , 2014 Durango
Occupation
Retired
Ordered 12-6 D1 12-13, shows a delivery date of 01-28, so hopefully it will hit the floor for build tomorrow.
I think the wait is drawing to a close.... :clap:
Update
Jeep Chat said my Jeep is in Paint today :turkey::tumbleweed: Whoot! Whoot!
Yeah Baby!

Last Mango

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Ordered 11-30-18
Build sheet available today, 1-28-19.
Does that mean it has been completed?

Cheers,
James

jbozz

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I sat in that phase for about a month before they actually built anything. Not sure if it's a pure numbers thing or if they are just telling you something to make you less concerned about no progress.
Yeah it seems like a long time but as soon as mine left D1 status it cruised into G status Two days later now I'm finely in KZ Status...

jbozz

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone out here know after your vehicle goes into KZ Status about how long on average does it take until delivery?

Sponsored

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Anyone out here know after your vehicle goes into KZ Status about how long on average does it take until delivery?
I don't think there is a standard time. Depends on location and how quick it gets on a train/truck.

jdhunt0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited
I ordered on 1/16. I went by the dealer today to get my VON and see if I could track it. Dealer said it shows that it shipped today. We are both skeptical.

Tejas

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JULRD
Ordered 12/21, received VIN maybe 1/11. Since then tracking here shows not found and not found. I checked with the salesman today if he’s received any update by chance and he said it’s in paint and should ship tomorrow?? I don’t know much but seems to me there would be some steps in between paint and shipping?

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Ordered 12/21, received VIN maybe 1/11. Since then tracking here shows not found and not found. I checked with the salesman today if he’s received any update by chance and he said it’s in paint and should ship tomorrow?? I don’t know much but seems to me there would be some steps in between paint and shipping?
Interesting...have you checked the status with Jeep Chat? I wonder if they are also showing it in paint.

Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I couldn't imagine being in that kind of limbo. But, at least my day did get much better...

20190116_204613466_iOS.jpg
Exact same as mine except I also have the tow/aux package.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
There are three first tier partners on site with the Jeep factory. They build the frame, the body and paint. Then it goes into the Jeep line to be trimmed out. At the end of assembly it is inspected. If it doesn't pass inspection it gets sent to a special area to correct any problems. Depending on what you ordered it can go into JB status to have those items added. After all of that it goes to KZ which means it is handed over to the transporter and is invoiced. If you are with 300 miles of the plant it is usually transported by truck otherwise it is sent by rail. They have about 18 rail sidings at the plant.
But they often wait until they have enough going to the same area. Google Earth and look within a few blocks of the plant and you will see several large parking lots full of Wranglers waiting to ship. Then it has to go to the rail drop yard closest to your dealer where it is unloaded and sits waiting for a truck to be available.
If everything goes smoothly start to finish for assembly is about 24 hours.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think it makes any difference what options you order. My 2 door Rubicon just got built with almost every option and it got built in one day over three weeks and there was a short shutdown in the middle of that. If they had the options for me, they would almost certainly have them for you. Yes there are exceptions like a few months ago there was a LED light shortage and you couldn't even place an order with that option.

Probably the biggest factor is manufacturing efficiency. As a manufacturer of anything (I'm one!), you only want like product going down the production line at any given time so you group orders to make that happen. In the case of the Jeep I just ordered, I was probably just lucky that they were about to run ones like mine. Who knows, but if I had ordered at a different time, they might have just finished running my configuration and I'd have to have waited for the full circle of variations to roll around again. The whole process looks unpredictable from the consumers standpoint, but from a manufacturers standpoint, you know it has to be very organized and totally predictable. I'm sure when your order was placed, barring some freak factor, they knew exactly what day your rig was going to be built. They just don't share that.

Supply chain management is one of the biggest challenges in manufacturing today. With the exception of trivial items, you don't want any parts to arrive at the production line that are not needed for that days assembly. We call this "JIT" (Just In TIme) manufacturing and it's super efficient, but requires unbelievable planning and coordination. As a manufacturer, I think Henry Ford had the right idea. Just make them all Black and don't offer any options. Smart guy keeping his life simple! Just wouldn't work in today's market. :)

...Tiger
Actually the University of Toledo along with Jeep personnel wrote a paper detailing the supply chain management for the Wrangler plant. They are JIT for parts but also for the three first tier companies on site that build the frame, chassis and paint. They actually have JIT for those three companies sending them an 88 second notice of what they need. After it goes to them it enters the Jeep plant for assembly. The suppliers have rules also, for those companies nearby they can't have any rail crossings to cross between them and the factory, for example. I seem to remember the paper saying they have something like 1200 trucks coming and going each day.
They don't batch assembly. They didn't list the rules of how orders are put into the line but they can build 2 door, right after a 4 door, a Rubicon right after a Sport, etc. If you look at some of the videos of the Wrangler assembly line you'll see the mix of them going thru. Since there are four 4 doors sold for each 2 door there will be more of those.
JIT is a cost savings process but it can get really messed up in northern Toledo during the winter because of snow storms shutting down roads.

Tigers_Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2018 JK Rubicon, 2019 JL Rubicon
I just keep getting good news! Called Chat and they said I'm KZ and at the rail yard ready to get on the train. They had an estimated arrival date in Oregon of Feb 13th. Here is how my schedule went, give or take a couple days.

Jeep_Yellow_Tiny.jpg

Ordered: 01/04
VIN/VON: 01/12
D1 Status: 01/14
Build Sheet: 01/25
Window Sticker: 01/26
KZ Status: 01/28
Estimated arrival Oregon: 02/13 (fingers crossed!)

Advertisement

Advertisement