First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Occupation
HVAC
One thing that will make your life way easier is if you already have a car and you sell it the day before, and use the 7-day transfer law to get your car back to MA. I sold my GTI at Carmax, and the next morning flew to Nashville with my plates and used those to drive on back.

If you don't have plates, that's a whole other thing. I'd ask your insurance agent how to proceed in that case; there is a way for the dealer to send the paperwork to the registry and the registry will send them back plates, but it will take a week, and you've basically gotta transact everything over fedex. Feels weird, but absolutely a thing you can do.

Other things to note:
  1. Massachusetts does not recognize temporary registration plates. As a result, MA insurance companies may not insure a car with temporary plates. This is the source of most of the frustration in all of this.
  2. Your insurance company will likely need a scan of the manufacturer's certificate of origin (MCO), the bill of sale, and the lienholder info. Call them and make sure your insurance co gets this after it's sent - Safety Insurance's spam filter ate the email the first time it was sent and I had to wait another hour for it to come in. You want to wait, because the Registration and Title Application (RTA) requires some info from the dealer in section I (price paid, tax ID, signature)
  3. MA requires front license plates, and staties will absolutely use it as a reason to pull you over if you don’t have one. TN does not have front license plates. If you have a front license plate, let Gupton know so they can get the part and attach it for you. It’s like $20. They gave me a list of dealers with it in stock, and one was on my route. Got it and attached it at a friends house on the way.
I went through Lexington KY then over to Maryland to visit a friend, then from there up 95 to the Merritt parkway, 91 to 84 to 90. Long but enjoyable ride and I got a pretty good sense of how the vehicle handled. It was an enjoyable 1200 miles. Enjoy the Jeep!
All good info.

I was not aware that MA doesn't recognize temp plates. I will get in touch with my insurance agent early and hammer out the process.

I'll ask Daniel to get a front plate bracket attached for delivery, but I'll have zip ties with me just incase.

Thanks again for your advise. I'll be sure to post pics when mine arrives.

Advertisement

mabaker002

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe Rubicon

mabaker002

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe Rubicon
I'm seriously hoping something like this happens with mine at this point. I ordered on 5/19 and I've been in the "gathering parts" stage with Jeep Chat ever since and my dealer has only been able to see it as in D status.

Is there anything odd about your order that would've caused it to not track at all? Like do you have a different VIN on the car than on your order sheet or something?
Didn't follow up myself, and they didn't email or call. Or didn't try to look online if there is a way to track from the VON#. Was starting to wonder, and look at what inventory was in stock around, thinking with the chip shortage, maybe it would be much longer than the 6-8 weeks they told me.
Where was that dealer located?
Glendale, CA (Near Los Angeles)

IAJeepguy

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR EcoDiesel
Occupation
ACMX
Got an email from Daniel at Gupton. My Jeep came in today, 7/6.

Ordered 3/30 JLURD with all tech packages and half doors. Right at 98 days! Of course I have to work this weekend so it’ll be a week and a half before I can get down to get it.

BDoerr54

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4Xe, 2020 Mustang GT, 2021 Mach-e
Ordered my Sarge Green Sahara 4Xe on 6/28. Checked today and it's in the scheduling phase. Dealer told me 4 to 8 weeks. Seeing the posts on here it's crazy how random the whole process seems to be. I'm in CT so not sure how location affects the process.

Sponsored

COJLGirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4...
Reading your story makes me sad. I hope that our 4xe's get moving soon. It took less time to order and build my 4xe than it's taking to inspect it.
OMG...got an email from the dealership this morning and it's officially out of (I) status after 8 weeks. I am currently sitting in (JB), shipped to vendor.

Silvertoy

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
I'm sure this has been answered elsewhere, but does anyone know when they start building 2022 models? Based on history here, Ive gotta be on the edge if I don't get built for a month....

JHTS

First Name
John & Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gecko JLU Freedom, 2020 Punk'n JL Sport S
Occupation
John - US Army Ret/DA Civilian / Holly - Boss of husband
I'm sure this has been answered elsewhere, but does anyone know when they start building 2022 models? Based on history here, Ive gotta be on the edge if I don't get built for a month....
It has been posted in other threads 6 DEC. Once you have a VIN your model year will not change.

COJLGirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4...
My dealership told me orders for MY 2022 is several months out.

Steve123

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non yet
Indeed I did! Just got back home today.

Experience at Gupton was good -- being a Massachusetts resident added a few more logistics that were annoying, but that's not their fault. End of the day, I drove away with a jeep I enjoy at a price I enjoyed :)

Posted pictures over at https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/owners-show-off-your-new-4xe.69813/post-1564944. Hope your pickup went well!
I ordered from Gupton and am a MA resident ad well—how did you handle the whole temp plates/registration issue?

Sponsored

Socks

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler JK Rubicon Hardrock
My dealership told me orders for MY 2022 is several months out.
Supposedly tomorrow they will get updates on 2021's and 2022's according to my salesman here in Indiana. Said he would call me later tomorrow to let me know where everything stands at that point. Going back to a 2-door Rubicon...hopefully.

Odierub

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban
So I just got an update about an hour ago that my Jeep has moved on from its 8 week pending inspection nightmare phase. It was shipped to a vendor for additional parts. I wonder what that could be. Here's my original build:
OMG...got an email from the dealership this morning and it's officially out of (I) status after 8 weeks. I am currently sitting in (JB), shipped to vendor.
thinking you might have a “July” Jeep.🤞

LITTLE WILLYS

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
unlimited willys
I certainly hope so. Might be able to do a road trip back to Denver this month.
You're having a July Jeep, and so are we. We were expecting it in mid August, but it is already at the rail yard waiting a truck ride up to the dealership.

Advertisement

Advertisement