JL Window Sticker and Build Sheet Order Tracking

Ratiogear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Mine is done building and now waiting inspection, no dealer ETA according to jeep chat. May check in with dealer though!

Ordered 4/29. VIN 5/3.
D on 5/4, swapped to D1 and back sometime in the next 19 days.
Back to D1 on 5/21.
Being painted on 6/4.
Waiting inspection 6/7.

4xe Rubicon, billet silver, +cold weather, +proximity keyless, +premium soft top

Advertisement

brRubi

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Rubicon
I was a “Sunday window sticker” as well! Ordered 5/15, build sheet 6/3, sticker 6/6. Shipping now with dealer eta 6/11-6/25!! JLUR 6 speed manual with a bunch of the tech options.

Purple Turtle

First Name
Sabrina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Purple TJ, 2021 HellaYella JLUR
Jeep Chat just told me this morning mine was in Trim!!!! I'm hoping this is true. It seems like it has been in D1 forever! JLUR in HellaYella and ordered 4/27. Tried to ask dealer if delivery date is still this Saturday. My preapproval runs out on the 11th so I'm hoping I can do the financing this Friday with the dealer to not have to redo my financing. But either way at least it has moved!!!!

Rogue Toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Rubicon
I agree with you on this. Why not have someone from the factory offer a seminar or video that demystifies the build process. The only think I could find that came close was the below link from the Corvette Museum.

https://www.corvettemuseum.org/demystifying-the-corvette-order-and-build-process/
I worked in the Auto industry for many years, both as an engine design engineer as well as in the supply base. The issue is that not every automaker does things the same way. Yes, it's generally all the same, but even were everything standardized, there are a LOT of moving parts in the supply and build process and so disruptions are difficult to predict and can be inconsistent. Especially in 2020-21.

Your vehicle requires literally hundreds of suppliers, who in turn have their own suppliers, to deliver a part "just in time". Following a supply model largely popularized by Toyota, the idea is that nobody has any stockpiles of inventory - that is just added cost and if there are any recalls, etc. then you have way too many parts to fix. The automaker buys most components, but the usual model is they make the engine themselves; as well as the transmission, frame, or body stampings in other cases. (More and more things are outsourced every year). Then the automaker does the final assembly themselves. There is no room for component stockpiles at the plant, so most parts arrive very close to the build date, or on the the build date itself.

In normal times, there can be a quality issue that can disrupt builds of certain models or engine types or which involve certain components. For example, the supplier of intake valves notices a batch with a bad heat treat and halts their line to correct. This stops flow to cylinder head manufacturing, which interrupts engine build, etc. Think of every part and sub-component in your vehicle, and you see the issue.

Now add in 2020-21 where you have added supply issues with everything from computer chips to cardboard (parts have to be shipped in dunnage, cardboard, specialized packaging, etc.) and this issue just multiplies. So a plant could be set up to switch over to a run of JL's with 2.0 engines and suddenly that bad valve or a missing computer chip or the boat carrying 2.0's from Italy sinks and now the plant has to switch gears on the fly and figure out what they can build while the entire "just in time" supply chain has to react and switch over if necessary to new priorities.

That's a long answer, but doesn't even begin to touch on the logistics of everything involved.

The_Paper_Cut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Sport 2-Door
Lo
Jeep Chat just told me this morning mine was in Trim!!!! I'm hoping this is true. It seems like it has been in D1 forever! JLUR in HellaYella and ordered 4/27. Tried to ask dealer if delivery date is still this Saturday. My preapproval runs out on the 11th so I'm hoping I can do the financing this Friday with the dealer to not have to redo my financing. But either way at least it has moved!!!!
Love to hear it. I have a Hellayella JLUR sitting in paint for the past few days now. I’m thinking they’re waiting for some more Hellayella’s to get to that stage before they load up the guns with yellow paint so they can knock them all out at once. How far away are you from the plant? Unfortunately I don’t expect it to be shipped to you by Saturday if it’s only in trim now, but who knows.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I worked in the Auto industry for many years, both as an engine design engineer as well as in the supply base. The issue is that not every automaker does things the same way. Yes, it's generally all the same, but even were everything standardized, there are a LOT of moving parts in the supply and build process and so disruptions are difficult to predict and can be inconsistent. Especially in 2020-21.

Your vehicle requires literally hundreds of suppliers, who in turn have their own suppliers, to deliver a part "just in time". Following a supply model largely popularized by Toyota, the idea is that nobody has any stockpiles of inventory - that is just added cost and if there are any recalls, etc. then you have way too many parts to fix. The automaker buys most components, but the usual model is they make the engine themselves; as well as the transmission, frame, or body stampings in other cases. (More and more things are outsourced every year). Then the automaker does the final assembly themselves. There is no room for component stockpiles at the plant, so most parts arrive very close to the build date, or on the the build date itself.

In normal times, there can be a quality issue that can disrupt builds of certain models or engine types or which involve certain components. For example, the supplier of intake valves notices a batch with a bad heat treat and halts their line to correct. This stops flow to cylinder head manufacturing, which interrupts engine build, etc. Think of every part and sub-component in your vehicle, and you see the issue.

Now add in 2020-21 where you have added supply issues with everything from computer chips to cardboard (parts have to be shipped in dunnage, cardboard, specialized packaging, etc.) and this issue just multiplies. So a plant could be set up to switch over to a run of JL's with 2.0 engines and suddenly that bad valve or a missing computer chip or the boat carrying 2.0's from Italy sinks and now the plant has to switch gears on the fly and figure out what they can build while the entire "just in time" supply chain has to react and switch over if necessary to new priorities.

That's a long answer, but doesn't even begin to touch on the logistics of everything involved.
I had a friend who used to be a truck driver who delivered windshields to a Ford plant in IL. He slept in late once and the entire line had to shut down for a while. He was fired. I was not surprised he was fired but I was surprised Ford did not have a supply of windshields as a buffer for circumstances like that. This was about 25 years ago.

Bku9929

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Defender 110
I’ve been in “shipping” for several days without an ETA. Spoke to my dealer today who said it left Toledo on the 6/3, but it doesn’t have an eta. Anyone know why I wouldn’t have an ETA if it left the factory?

AtomicDutchOven

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe soon!
Jeep Chat just said my 4Xe was sent to storage as its either awaiting availability of a rail car or is awaiting additional inspections.

Just curious - how often do each of you reach out to the dealer for the status? I've been reaching out every two weeks as they have a more detailed status update, but I don't want to bug them too much.

Still just have the build sheet, no sticker.

PDelena

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Just curious - how often do each of you reach out to the dealer for the status? I've been reaching out every two weeks as they have a more detailed status update, but I don't want to bug them too much.
I check with Jeep Chat every weekday at 4:00 PM and email my dealer every Monday at lunchtime. It's definitely overkill but when I'm excited I have NO patience. LOL

Sponsored

K-nuk

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, CJ7
I check with Jeep Chat every weekday at 4:00 PM and email my dealer every Monday at lunchtime. It's definitely overkill but when I'm excited I have NO patience. LOL
Weekly with dealer as well.

Jeepchat whenever I’m bored. I’ve a note with my question, my vin, and all the other info they ask for. I just copy and paste into the chat window when it opens.

Purple Turtle

First Name
Sabrina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lo

Love to hear it. I have a Hellayella JLUR sitting in paint for the past few days now. I’m thinking they’re waiting for some more Hellayella’s to get to that stage before they load up the guns with yellow paint so they can knock them all out at once. How far away are you from the plant? Unfortunately I don’t expect it to be shipped to you by Saturday if it’s only in trim now, but who knows.
I'm only 150 miles or something like that. So here is still hoping. I hear some can get through the build in one day but some till take a lot longer.... I read in one of the articles someone posted that colors don't go together which didn't make sense at first but the article mentioned they do different parts mixed in because say there is a quality issue with say the yellow paint. If they don't see it till quality and they have 20 done in a row then they have to fix 20 vehicles. If they wait till a yellow gets to quality and its good then they know that color is good or say 2 or 3 were done then they don't have to fix as many. This makes since that they mix up everything to have not too many of the same parts on the line at the same time. As they get to quality if one thing is messed up they have a lot less waiting in rework.

The_Paper_Cut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Sport 2-Door
I'm only 150 miles or something like that. So here is still hoping. I hear some can get through the build in one day but some till take a lot longer.... I read in one of the articles someone posted that colors don't go together which didn't make sense at first but the article mentioned they do different parts mixed in because say there is a quality issue with say the yellow paint. If they don't see it till quality and they have 20 done in a row then they have to fix 20 vehicles. If they wait till a yellow gets to quality and its good then they know that color is good or say 2 or 3 were done then they don't have to fix as many. This makes since that they mix up everything to have not too many of the same parts on the line at the same time. As they get to quality if one thing is messed up they have a lot less waiting in rework.
Huh, never knew that but it does make sense. But since you’re only 150 miles away then yeah it’s probably realistic for it to be this Saturday. I’ll have my hopes up and be keeping tabs on this thread for a picture!

Purple Turtle

First Name
Sabrina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Huh, never knew that but it does make sense. But since you’re only 150 miles away then yeah it’s probably realistic for it to be this Saturday. I’ll have my hopes up and be keeping tabs on this thread for a picture!
Aww thanks... We have a jeep club meeting at the dealership I am getting it from on Monday.... so it would be so cool to have it before then or pick it up during the meeting!

Advertisement

Advertisement