First Name
Jenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
Human Resources
This is basically all I've spent our first three days on as well. Research strongly suggests that the transmission takes a while to become "buttery" but I'll share three recommendations.

1. The clutch engagement is very narrow. Start on a level surface, 1st gear, 4H, release very very slowly. NO accelerator. It's like it wants crawl mode even in 4H and it shouldn't stall. Afterwards you can use the accelerator. This is currently my plan for mostly level traffic lights behind other cars, to leave sufficient space to start creeping when the light is green.

2. Sit in neutral and check your accelerator. On the lightest feather mine would pop to 1.8k and then just kept rising and rising up to 4k or 5k. I recalibrated my pedal yesterday and things seemed to be smoother when I couldn't use #1. Go read https://www.wranglerforum.com/threads/throttle-calibration.888666/

3. Hills, I still don't know. Hill assist worked correctly when driving mine home but yesterday I couldn't get it to behave. My guess is that I was only driving in 1st for half a block so HSA wasn't even engaging. I lost count of how many stalls I had yesterday that were unexpected versus me purposefully trying to gauge the limits of the clutch and computer.

ps If you have to pull out in traffic, it will go if you start "normally" with some throttle, but I definitely had major wheel spin at one point yesterday doing that on a wet surface.

pps The engine is high strung. Shifting 2nd to 3rd is much smoother around 4k. With the redline at 7k, I was treating it way too gently and it's really not happy between 1--2k, at least not in its infancy.
Wow! Thanks for all this info Brian! I typically was shifting on my 2005 at around 3k and NEVER used 1st gear except in very few circumstances but I read I should, so I will.

Advertisement

Wrongful Suspicion

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Wow! Thanks for all this info Brian! I typically was shifting on my 2005 at around 3k and NEVER used 1st gear except in very few circumstances but I read I should, so I will.
Congrats. That is a great color. I’ve spent so much time walking while looking back at my Jeep that I’m surprised I haven’t walked into anything.

I have found shifting around 3K has been not bad, I haven’t really tried going higher, but I will now. One thing I’ve noticed is as the engine begins to break in, the revs to Km(sorry I’m Canadian) window begins to widen.(if that makes sense)

On a side note, as I was driving the first day later in the afternoon, I went under an overpass and it was dark enough to trigger my auto lights and my dash went completely blank, my heart completely sank, thinking of all the horror stories I’ve read on here. Then I realized that the dash was just dimmed to the lowest level which kicks in when the lights come on:whew:

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, '21 JLUR on order
Crypto (or the jeep system it pulls from) is definitely having an issue.

My nickname pulls up NONE for build sheet and sticker. If I search by VIN, it still says None for both, but the links are valid. I got ahold of jeep chat and was informed it had shipped.

My salesperson was supposed to message me today with shipping info, but hasn’t. It won’t make a difference for delivery, so I’m going to text them Monday for an updated delivery window.

Ordered 11/10
D1: Gateline 11/20
Built and sent to Body Vendor (JB status) 12/12
Ready for shipment (KZ) 12/18
Sticker 12/19
Shipped 12/19
I got an update after some pushing. My Jeep is at the rail yard near Houston and my sales guy says it should be on their lot and ready for me Saturday or Monday. (1/2 or 1/4).

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door JL Snazzberry Rubicon
So what's it mean when my sticker is up (not in the tracker but just found it using the applet)? I just checked with Jeep Chat Friday and don't necessarily want to bug them again, but...
how do i access this applet you speak of???

Sponsored

Stormy12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sport S (Ordered 11/9/20)
Dealer called and said mine is in D1 Status with a build date of January 12. Thought it would be sooner, ordered on 11/9, but at least I now have a build date.

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Finally! Got her home last night! (was supposed to be last week, but the dealer had problems registering her of state - had to wait for the DMVs to open back up)
Anyway - ordered 10/9
Home - 12/28
Big upgrade from my old YJ 😳😂
Thank you all for helping me kill the time waiting!

20201229_085037.jpg
Wheres the Rubicon lettering?

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon JL 2Dr Snazzberry 6-speed

Ordered from Mike at Lakeland Jeep

12/18

VON

12/18

VIN

12/22

Estimated Ship Date

01/23/2021

nomographer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon ("Anaximander"), 94 YJ sold :(
Build Thread
Link
I almost stalled it yesterday on a downhill starting in 2nd, but that might have been a fluke.

Today, zero stalls! 45min in-city, hills. Maaaybe hill assist worked but I didn't really chance it because I had a tail and was first off the line and could gun it out of there. The rings and pistons should be sealed now. :giggle:

I can see shifts still being chunky for a few hundred miles and I'm still a bit under rpm upshifting, but all the bits are still attached so all is well.

But today... :involve: listened to a text message while driving (replied audibly while parked but didn't want to chance it while driving), automatic climate was comfortable, had the music on a bit (not my thing), and other than increasing traffic at the end, the drive was 80% pleasant.

2021 Rubicon 3.6 manual, recommend.

Still looking for that first new crypto update to appear. Statistics are kinda empty without those updates.

ps Sorry to gum up the thread, but I just looked for the "new vehicle owners" thread and couldn't find one. There are a few MT threads, heavily focused on regearing.

Last edited:

Sponsored

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, '21 JLUR on order
I removed it 😁
Was it pretty easy to remove?

I feel like if you know what a Rubicon is, you don’t need the words to tell you. They’re a bit extra, for a vehicle that doesn’t really need it. Then again, I think GT3 on the side of a Porsche is kind of tacky too.

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Was it pretty easy to remove?

I feel like if you know what a Rubicon is, you don’t need the words to tell you. They’re a bit extra, for a vehicle that doesn’t really need it. Then again, I think GT3 on the side of a Porsche is kind of tacky too.
See, I like the lettering... To each their own I guess. I'd imagine a heat gun it'd come right off like the stupid dealer stickers they always seem to stick on cars

Last edited:

ScoobyBlue

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Formerly 16JK Willys, now 21JL Rubicon
Well I didn’t get anywhere with Jeep Chat. Asking for the alpha numeric status update is just hokum.

I wished my salesman a safe evening - I got that my Jeep is in D status.

Y’all have a safe evening too.

Bobalou34

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara Altitude (Sting Gray)
Finally! After about 120 days, my first Wrangler has finally arrived. The wait was unbearable, but the end result makes you quickly forget all the turmoil. Thanks to all on the forum for the information (which helped me get my Jeep here and have leverage over the dealer) as well as the moral support. Hoping all that are waiting get their Jeeps soon! HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Window Sticker and Build Sheet Order Tracking 20201231_151840
Jeep Wrangler JL JL Window Sticker and Build Sheet Order Tracking 20201231_151849

Advertisement

Advertisement