I stopped and seen my salesman today because I was right there. She’s not sure what the hold up is either and said they’d call next week if we hadn’t gotten a delivery date yet. And we’re just under 3 hours from the plant.
Kinda makes you wish you could do a factory pickup! Anyway, I'm on the west coast, so I could be waiting for a while.I stopped and seen my salesman today because I was right there. She’s not sure what the hold up is either and said they’d call next week if we hadn’t gotten a delivery date yet. And we’re just under 3 hours from the plant.
I would cancel the check and go somewhere else. A couple oil changes and car washes? Wow. I actually mentioned your problem to my sales rep to make sure mine was ordered as a customer order, and he said it is very simple for them to correct the problem within a matter of minutes, and it sounded like you're getting the run around from them.We ordered a JLU Rubicon from our dealership on 2/26/19. The dealership ordered it as stock inventory instead of a customer sold order so alas, the JL hasn't been built yet. I've been in contact with the dealership weekly about having our name added to the order to get the build moving. The dealership has told me they've tried adding our name to the order multiple times and each time they go back in our name has been removed.
They've contacted their rep and he said the jeep would be built by the end of April. I received a call from our salesman on Saturday and he stated that our Jeep now has a ship date of May 10th. He's seen vehicles come in a few days before the date and he's seen them come in a couple of weeks after the date.
When we asked what the dealership could do for us because this is taking such a long time since the order was placed incorrectly he informed us that the dealership placed the order correctly (he has a piece of paper with our name and address on the order they placed the salesman claims) and it's Jeep's fault. We can't hold the dealership responsible for Jeep's mistake but they could probably throw in a couple of oil changes and car washes. The Jeep just has a VIN and nothing else.
I'm looking for recommendations on what to do. Do I tell the dealership I'm going some place else to place my order and leave them stuck with the Jeep and cancel my check for the deposit? Or do I hang in there and hope it's built before the shutdown?
I asked Jeep Chat about the shutdown multiple times when checking on the status of my build and they keep saying they know nothing about a shutdown. Maybe they wouldn't know or can't say. Seems odd. I dunno. My Moab has been in D for a week. Seems slow to get started.Good thing they got to your build...scuttlebut is 3 week shutdown looming in May!