LJandJL

LJandJL

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon, 2024 JL 4xe Rubicon
Looks like there are a lot of people on this Forum with both... that should tell you something.

I have owned every generation, starting with the YJ. My current stable consists of a 2000 TJ 4.0 sport and a 2020 JTR. I did own a 2021 JLUR 392 for about a year (13k miles) which was an awesome vehicle (the dealer offered to buy it back from me for what I paid, after a year of use, that was an easy sale).

For me, these are two completely different vehicles. That is actually the reason I switched to a Gladiator... because now I have a pick up bed as well, which widens the differential.

With each subsequent model, Jeep (FCA, Stellantis, whatever) has made the vehicle better ON Road, as well as better OFF Road. @Zandcwhite hit it on the head- The TJ isn't as capable, which makes easier, local trails more fun. The JL is SO competent that you have to conquer some really challenging terrain for an equivalent "high"

An otherwise stock JLUR on 35" is more capable than almost any street legal TJ/LJ. Once you add a 2" lift and 37s to your JLUR (which is where my Gladiator is), you would have to replace the entire driveline (including the engine IMO) on a TJ to get something close.

HOWEVER, new cars today are FULL of computers. I HATE it. I will never buy a new car again after seeing 1) what certain states are doing to limit/prohibit ICE sales, 2) what OEM manufacturers are doing regarding "subscription services" for things like heated seats or engine performance and, 3) the ability to "remote in" to the computer system on my wife's 2023 SUV (European brand). Not for me.

SO - You will LOVE the JL. Far more capable, and you can drive it across the country in comfort. But you will appreciate what the TJ is, even more. Two different things.
Two different beasts indeed. Excited about the JL.

And glad to see so many people still have both models. Its safe to say they'll never make anything as simple and purpose driven as the TJ or earlier models again.
Sponsored

Powelligator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ Rubicon, 2022 JL Rubicon
Clubs

In 2006 I never thought my luxobarge LJ Rubicon would ever fully replace my built up 1983 CJ-7. Cruise control and air conditioning were things of wonder after daily driving my CJ for many years, the idea was a new daily driver Jeep that would be plenty capable for occasional trail use yet plenty comfortable for the street runs back and forth from my office.

Jeep Wrangler JL JL vs TJ CJ-LJ-6

When it was new my only real complaint with the LJ was the complete lack of torque that the 4.0 attempted to produce in comparison with the old 258 (modded with Howell EFI) in the CJ. And it needed taller tires, though to do that you had to lift it, so here we go again…

In 2022 I never thought my luxobarge JL Rubicon would ever fully replace my built up 2006 LJ. Adaptive Cruise control and automatic air conditioning with heated seats and steering wheel were things of wonder after daily driving my LJ for many years, the idea was a new daily driver Jeep that would be plenty capable for occasional trail use yet plenty comfortable for the street runs back and forth from my office.

Jeep Wrangler JL JL vs TJ JL-LJ-5

My only real complaint with the JL is the complete lack of torque that the V6 attempts to produce in comparison with the 4.6 Stroker in the LJ. This time though, for taller tires, you don’t need a lift. Time marches on…

To answer the original question though, for hard trails the LJ is way better equipped, and is the first choice. The JL, well, ask me again in 15 or so years. I regret selling my CJ-7, I won't make the same mistake with my beloved LJ.

OP
OP
LJandJL

LJandJL

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In 2006 I never thought my luxobarge LJ Rubicon would ever fully replace my built up 1983 CJ-7. Cruise control and air conditioning were things of wonder after daily driving my CJ for many years, the idea was a new daily driver Jeep that would be plenty capable for occasional trail use yet plenty comfortable for the street runs back and forth from my office.

When it was new my only real complaint with the LJ was the complete lack of torque that the 4.0 attempted to produce in comparison with the old 258 (modded with Howell EFI) in the CJ. And it needed taller tires, though to do that you had to lift it, so here we go again…

In 2022 I never thought my luxobarge JL Rubicon would ever fully replace my built up 2006 LJ. Adaptive Cruise control and automatic air conditioning with heated seats and steering wheel were things of wonder after daily driving my LJ for many years, the idea was a new daily driver Jeep that would be plenty capable for occasional trail use yet plenty comfortable for the street runs back and forth from my office.

My only real complaint with the JL is the complete lack of torque that the V6 attempts to produce in comparison with the 4.6 Stroker in the LJ. This time though, for taller tires, you don’t need a lift. Time marches on…

To answer the original question though, for hard trails the LJ is way better equipped, and is the first choice. The JL, well, ask me again in 15 or so years. I regret selling my CJ-7, I won't make the same mistake with my beloved LJ.
These posts keep getting better and better.

Yeah don't ever sell that LJ.

Chris2183

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S (Sold) 2021 JLU Willys
As someone who has a TJ/LJ, and is also ordering a JL, I'm curious: Which rubicon do you think will be more fun to offroad* in, all else equal (obviously, on road the JL is far superior). The TJ has a smaller footprint, but less creature comforts. Interested to see what people think, as many of you I'm sure are former TJ owners, although this being a JL website I think I know the answer :). Yes, I'm bypassing JK.

I might have been more attached to my TJ had I bought it new and was able to maintain it properly but it was a money pit from the day I bought it since the prior owners neglected it. I had it inspected prior to purchase but once we got into it it was way worse than imagined.

My JL was a big step up from my JK in electronics and felt way more modern.

My JK was the most reliable of the three and its the one I regret selling

KrispyKotex

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Rubicon Snazzberry
Occupation
USN Submariner (ret), IT Analyst/Network Engineer
My TJ 2 dr was my first. Absolutely loved it, although it had no A/C. I could tear the dash out and replace it within 15 minutes, and pulling the carpets out to hose them down was really easy after driving it (I mean burying it) in a Georgia swamp. However, I prefer the JL now.

Jeep Wrangler JL JL vs TJ Jeep2.JPG

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
You know it's about nostalgia over function when the list of advantages for the TJ in this thread include "tons of space in the engine bay" as opposed to any actual usable space and "you can tear out and replace the dash in 15 minutes". How often are you guys loading stuff in the engine bay or swapping dashes? The simplicity argument I get, but any other "advantage" of the TJ over the JL is a stretch at best.

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

I didn’t have a TJ but I did have an ‘01 XJ with the 4.0 and a killer short arm setup. What was fun about that rig was I could trail fix damn near anything. Even electronics stuff was usually fixable if you had the right tools and parts. It was extremely nimble and small. It was a very fun vehicle to drive.

The JLU surprised me in that while considerably bigger, it wasn’t much worse to maneuver on trails than the XJ. Sure I have to back up a few times to get a good line on a switchback obstacle, but it just motors over shit like it doesn’t care. It’s point and shoot in a lot of ways. It definitely makes me look better than I am at wheeling.

Remote start in hot weather is a godsend 😂

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I didn’t have a TJ but I did have an ‘01 XJ with the 4.0 and a killer short arm setup. What was fun about that rig was I could trail fix damn near anything. Even electronics stuff was usually fixable if you had the right tools and parts. It was extremely nimble and small. It was a very fun vehicle to drive.

The JLU surprised me in that while considerably bigger, it wasn’t much worse to maneuver on trails than the XJ. Sure I have to back up a few times to get a good line on a switchback obstacle, but it just motors over shit like it doesn’t care. It’s point and shoot in a lot of ways. It definitely makes me look better than I am at wheeling.

Remote start in hot weather is a godsend 😂
I miss my old XJ more than any other Jeep I've owned, until it comes time to actual drive any distance. The JLU is so nice on roadtrips in comparison.
Jeep Wrangler JL JL vs TJ Screenshot_20220709-075057_Facebook

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

I miss my old XJ more than any other Jeep I've owned, until it comes time to actual drive any distance. The JLU is so nice on roadtrips in comparison.
Jeep Wrangler JL JL vs TJ Screenshot_20220709-075057_Facebook
Oh yeah. I totally agree with you. Driving long distance in the XJ vs JL isn’t even a comparison. Love that photo!!

USMCJL

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 Jeep TJ, ‘20 Grand Cherokee, ‘21 Jeep Willy’s
Occupation
A320
As someone who has a TJ/LJ, and is also ordering a JL, I'm curious: Which rubicon do you think will be more fun to offroad* in, all else equal (obviously, on road the JL is far superior). The TJ has a smaller footprint, but less creature comforts. Interested to see what people think, as many of you I'm sure are former TJ owners, although this being a JL website I think I know the answer :). Yes, I'm bypassing JK.
Love them both!

IMG_2542.jpeg

Sponsored

Old Jeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
I will say it again: TJ R is the last of the real Jeeps and thats talking about Rock crawling and general off roading.

WHY? ELECTRICAL and complexity of the systems!

I would never wheel my JLR like I wheeled my TJR

Care to follow my TJ R thru this river, to rescue another Jeeper. I had water up to my chest, thank GOD that my Warn Ti would work under water!

Image-F928D5658F7811D9.jpg-thumb_140_105.jpg

JEEP4U

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
For me......I miss my TJ.......Stroked L6- 4.7L 5SP on 37", Teraflex high pinion D44 5.13 ARB in front and modified Ford Explorer 8.8 ARB in rear.

Jeep Wrangler JL JL vs TJ 1685544588178

OP
OP
LJandJL

LJandJL

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will say it again: TJ R is the last of the real Jeeps and thats talking about Rock crawling and general off roading.

WHY? ELECTRICAL and complexity of the systems!

I would never wheel my JLR like I wheeled my TJR

Care to follow my TJ R thru this river, to rescue another Jeeper. I had water up to my chest, thank GOD that my Warn Ti would work under water!

Jeep Wrangler JL JL vs TJ 1685544588178
That's a great photo.

Old Jeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
That's a great photo.
Thank you, his Jeep is the other side of mine, I trying to get in front of him and get turned around in the RAGING waters to I can winch him out...2 x. full pulls is what it took to get him out.

We had driven and walked across that river at Table Mesa N of Phoenix that moring, but storm up north sent its wrath downstream.

This was Fri night on a 3 day weekend, the other 8 JEEPS would not attempt the river, even when I offered to come and get them if they got in trouble. They did not get home until SUNDAY NIGHT!

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
No crazy electronic failures
It depends on how you describe that.

I had multiple occasions in my TJ where the entire instrument panel would just go dead.

They would pull it, add more dielectric grease to the connector and it would work again until some random time in the future.

Not the same as being told to pull over now or a start/stop system failure, but definitely an electrical gremlin.

I also had to have my clock spring replaced four times, each time noticeable because pressing the horn pad would… do nothing.

Something you didn't notice until you needed it.
Sponsored