Sponsored

JL vs. JLU Wrangler Rubicon Off-Road

Humvee4us

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2 Door
I'm considering a new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon purchase but am undecided between a 2 door and a 4 door Wrangler Rubicon. Other than the breakover angle is there other negatives to the 4 door over the 2 door? I'm specifically thinking about the added weight of the 4 door Wrangler vs the 2 door. In your experience has there ever been a time off-road where the added weight of the 4 door hindered it's ability off-road where the lighter 2 door had no problem? Obviously the significantly lower breakover angle of the 4 door would hinder it vs. the 2 door but if the 4 door's belly doesn't get stuck has there ever been a time where the 4 door gor stuck and the 2 door did not? For example, going up a loose gravel incline would the added weight of the 4 door cause it to loose traction more easily vs. the 2 door?
Sponsored

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Ok...
IMHO, they are both great rigs (I own a 2 Door JLR).
JLRs big advantage is maneuverability in tight places, which comes in handy on East coast trails
It's a toss up JLUR vs. JLR for crawling.
If I was going to run a bunch of trails that were mostly rock and lots of spacing, I would get a JLUR (e.g., Utah, Arizona, etc.) especially if over-landing.
Also one's needs come into play (e.g., number of kids, DD, number of other vehicles, etc.).
Just my $0.015 worth.

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
Good tyre choice makes the biggest difference regardless of 2 or 4 door, my opinion.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
We have a mix in our group and depending on the obstacle sometimes the 4-door is better and sometimes the 2-door is better. Once you lift the differences become even less significant.

I would say make your decision based on other things.

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
This is a good question. Make a chart of the different driving you plan on doing, next who will be with you then do you need 4 people each time and would it be better if you have 4 door, then add how much driving you will be doing in each of the different driving events.

For me it mostly driving around town, Jeeping with one other (grand kid for one on one time to make a memory), taking bike out for a ride. I have gotten four and a dog for some great times in my JLR 2 door. Only need a 4 door for other to get in and out quickly. I like the light weight and easy of getting around on the trail. I have always had a 2 door in every one of my 4 Jeeps these past 20 years. Now my Jeeping buddy has 4 door and it just too big to get around.

Let us know what you picked and why.

Jeep Wrangler JL JL vs. JLU Wrangler Rubicon Off-Road 1
Jeep Wrangler JL JL vs. JLU Wrangler Rubicon Off-Road 2
Jeep Wrangler JL JL vs. JLU Wrangler Rubicon Off-Road 3

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
2dr has tremendous maneuverability if you're on a trail with a tight bend. There are just some places that only smaller vehicles can go... Like a garage with several feet of crap against the back wall! I wouldn't know about that though... My garage is totally clean. Totally.

LVZen

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2 Door 3.6L
Depends on what you're doing.

I've always had 2 doors. For me, the upside is turning radius on hairpin turns, lighter top, only two doors to screw with, more classic look, more room in garage for working on it. I like it better off road generally, but there are many, many fewer options for 2 door JLs in the after-market industry, which is frustrating.

And I don't do overlanding. If I did, the 4 door has much more storage capacity and more options for rooftop tents. You'll likely feel pretty cramped by the end of a multi-day trip in a 2 door.

In town, getting people in and out of the back seat of a 2 door is near impossible.

I also have a Ford Expedition for towing, long trips, hauling stuff/people. If I didn't have the Expedition and needed the Jeep for these things, I would likely opt for the 4 door.

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I've had both. The 2 doors were better offroad for some of the reasons mentioned already. I went 4 door for the extra room and, to a small extent, the extra tow capacity. Here is the thing, you have to realize the limitations of each vehicle when approaching an obstacle. A line a 2 door can do, maybe a 4 door cannot do, or an XJ for that matter. I've seen plenty of lines that a 4 door walked up, but a 2 could not. It's not mutually exclusive, tire size, lift, gearing, lockers, etc all play a part.
Sponsored