Sponsored

JL vs JK Wrangler comparison parked side by side

Revelation17

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 Corvette; '19 JLRU (Manual, Firecracker red)
Occupation
slave for "the man"
Vehicle Showcase
I've heard that another "feature" of a light colored headliner is that it radiates less heat to the inside of the vehicle so it stays cooler. I like that it brightens the inside up but they do get dirty.

Pete
Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Wouldn't the black finish wear off around the fastening points for the two front panels? That would look ugly. IMO I prefer white also because it would reflect light more and be brighter inside.
It woudlnt get scratched as it would be a dye used in the mold. The plastic/fiberglass/composite is not bright white like that naturally its made that way during the manufacturing process. A black dye would be added during the molding process so the plastic/fiberglass/composite would be black throughout.

It’s still a cost from the suppliers, this isn’t negotiating 0 cost for extra work. Nothing is thrown in for free because it only requires 27% of what the total coverage is or because it’s only 2% of the cost, it all adds up, so FCA is calculating not enouh people care to pay $X more for each of these nickle & dime items.
See comment above. During the composite making process they have to make the top the bright white it is, its not the natural color of the composite, instead they could simply add a black dye. The cost difference would be zero to near zero.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I've heard that another "feature" of a light colored headliner is that it radiates less heat to the inside of the vehicle so it stays cooler. I like that it brightens the inside up but they do get dirty.

Pete
Now that is a valid point, especially since the Wrangler is not well insulated. Also your right about it looking dirty, if you put your Jeep in the dirt the white top always has a brown tint to it.

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
Sorry, third try to post this photo of the all tan interior.
Nice looking YJ. Seems similar shade to the JL heritage for sure. Jeep dropped that color by the end of the YJ for whatever reason. The darker (Spice) was a leg burner on the sunny days.

Sponsored

TJO

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jk
Why is jeep so cheap that it has to reuse the black plastics on the interior with tan/brown seats. Look at every other manufacture and most change the plastics (dash, door panels, arm rests, etc) to match the seat color. If they did this the light tan interior would probably look great.

While I'm bitching It also is annoying the Hard Top is white inside when every interior is black, how come they can't make them black on the underside?

/RANT
I am not sure I am seeing the same cheap plastic that you see. The photos I see show leather on door inserts, dash and armrest. I think it looks really good. Glad to see they are not using the cheap plastic you are referring to as these rubis and saharas are now topping out at $50k+.

texasyj2009

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Jeep Wrangler YJ 4.2L ; 2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry, third try to post this photo of the all tan interior.

15F156F3-F305-42C5-868A-516775280B72.jpeg
I wish my YJ interior was that clean.

I'm definitely liking the JL a lot more than the JK, though I never really cared for the front of the JK anyway. From the windshield back I thought the JK was great....but that grill and humongous @$$ plastic fenders on the front just ruined it for me. However, I will say AEV did a great job making the JK look good.

Oh and I know I'm about to stir the pot, :idea: but I've seen all the posts complaining about the turn signals being on the fender...saying it goes against "Jeep DNA"... but the same could be said about the JK turn signals, which are outset of the headlights instead of inset like the CJs and YJs. However, I think we can all be thankful they didn't decide to put the turn signals on top and the headlights on bottom. :puke:

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Do we know if that is the only "tan" there is ? it doesn't seem to be the same color as the red one in New Zealand. I don't want black but I don't want " tan" either. I want a dark saddle or like the guy said the ford Kings ranch brown . Or hell even the audi tan looks more brown than that. So anyone who order one can you shed some light on the colors of the leather?

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
Another one.

jk-jl-comparison-side-by-side.jpg
Hmm ... I wonder if the viewable surface area through the JL windshield is less than the JK. Looking at those side by side images, seems like the JL has a larger blacked out area around the windshield frame perimeter.

Sponsored

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport
Occupation
Highway Dept
Two things: First, if these type of complaints/comments are floating for a $40+K JL, how is Jeep going to peddle what is expected to be closer to a $50+K JT pickup if it is similarly equipped?
Where did you see that the JT is going to be priced at $50K +? That is a crazy number.

Goes

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon firecracker red (soon)
Looking at the fenders side by side with the JK, I think I’m liking the JL fenders better.

Valentino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU 2017 Winter Edition
08524BE1-491D-4037-A5D5-8CDEE53CD49A.jpeg
Looking at the fenders side by side with the JK, I think I’m liking the JL fenders better.
This was not a really fair side by side example one side is a rubicon all terrain equipment fender not painted on the other the jl Sahara all shiny and pretty they should have done it with a jk same style with fender painted like the Sahara winter edition

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Hmm ... I wonder if the viewable surface area through the JL windshield is less than the JK. Looking at those side by side images, seems like the JL has a larger blacked out area around the windshield frame perimeter.
I was thinking the same thing especially at the top of the windshield. Looking from the interior it seems to be aligned with the interior trim with about 1 inch margin. The rear window also has a lot if black out area on perimeter.

IMG_0680.JPG

Link Pin

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Sahara, 2020 Gladiator
Oh and I know I'm about to stir the pot, :idea: but I've seen all the posts complaining about the turn signals being on the fender...saying it goes against "Jeep DNA"... but the same could be said about the JK turn signals, which are outset of the headlights instead of inset like the CJs and YJs. However, I think we can all be thankful they didn't decide to put the turn signals on top and the headlights on bottom. :puke:
Copy that. I see it as a huge safety issue when driving in low light or fog conditions. They mark the width and give a visual clue how far away you really are. Anyone that has been nearly killed because those two little narrow fog lights make it appear that the jeep is farther away than it really is, will appreciate them.
Sponsored