Sponsored

JL vs JK Wrangler comparison parked side by side

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Also the white underside also improves reflected light to brighten-up the interior, but.. I think it’s just cost savings, it’s nromallh white, they spray it black on the outside to make it less visibly dirty, but the underside, why bother?

With the large number of people nickle & diming the Wrangler, is it worth either FCA or the customer spending extra money for most who couldn’t care less?
The Wrangler now being in a luxury suv price point ($40K+), little things like that are VERY noticeable for anyone coming over to Jeep from another brand. Its fine for a sub $30K truck, but the details matter on higher price points.
Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
The Wrangler now being in a luxury suv price point ($40K+), little things like that are VERY noticeable for anyone coming over to Jeep from another brand. Its fine for a sub $30K truck, but the details matter on higher price points.
Still most of us would rather have a headliner than to paint them, and that’s the two options.

The paint-only folks are the same who don’t want XYZ safety feature because it might add $100 to the price.
Everything adds up, and people can say for X dollar the Wrangler should have this and that, but they’d start comparing it to a Micra if they could get someone to buy that argument,

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Still most of us would rather have a headliner than to paint them, and that’s the two options.

The paint-only folks are the same who don’t want XYZ safety feature because it might add $100 to the price.
Everything adds up, and people can say for X dollar the Wrangler should have this and that, but they’d start comparing it to a Micra if they could get someone to buy that argument,
The point is it would cost them nothing to make it black instead of white as thats something that could easily be negotiated with suppliers.

Where as a headliner would actually cost money.

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
The point is it would cost them nothing to make it black instead of white as thats something that could easily be negotiated with suppliers.

Wouldn't the black finish wear off around the fastening points for the two front panels? That would look ugly. IMO I prefer white also because it would reflect light more and be brighter inside.

sjl136

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Willys 2dr, ‘90 YJ, '22 4Runner
The heritage tan is the same color as one of the soft top colors offered in the early years of the YJ. In 1987, AMC offered "black" - which was a shinny black carried over from the AMC CJ models, Khaki, Nutmeg and what was called almond. That could be the shade of the new leather seats in the JL - or even that dark sand color. That's some heritage - if it's true....

factory-softtop-colors.jpg
The interior in our ‘90 YJ is a similar shade to the new JL light tan. Sorry for the poor lighting, but I will have to look up what color it is, don’t know off hand if it is almond or not.

662B7123-2734-4E98-857E-0FB5E3247519.jpeg

Sponsored

sjl136

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The interior in our ‘90 YJ is a similar shade to the new JL light tan. Sorry for the poor lighting, but I will have to look up what color it is, don’t know off hand if it is almond or not.

662B7123-2734-4E98-857E-0FB5E3247519.jpeg
Same tan throughout in the YJ, but I am happy the JL tan/ black has the black steering wheel, dash top and switch gear, but would prefer more tan. Would prefer brown over the tan for sure.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s still a cost from the suppliers, this isn’t negotiating 0 cost for extra work. Nothing is thrown in for free because it only requires 27% of what the total coverage is or because it’s only 2% of the cost, it all adds up, so FCA is calculating not enouh people care to pay $X more for each of these nickle & dime items.

sjl136

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry, third try to post this photo of the all tan interior.

15F156F3-F305-42C5-868A-516775280B72.jpeg

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase

I actually like it white. It makes it feel roomier inside, to me.

Sponsored

Farmdawg

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier

DrPerez007

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See Signature
Occupation
Public Safety & Legal Consultant
Two things: First, if these type of complaints/comments are floating for a $40+K JL, how is Jeep going to peddle what is expected to be closer to a $50+K JT pickup if it is similarly equipped? I recently bought a used '16 JKU because I wasn't convinced the JLU was ready for "prime time" and I thought I would wait a year to buy one. And there are certainly lots of things I tolerate in my JKU, and my '05 TJ, as I bought both of them right and I knew what I was getting into being a "Jeep guy." But for a pickup, those buyers shelling out even "bigger" bucks than for the JL are very likely going to be more demanding than us old Jeep guys and if they are new to Jeep and as stated, they are coming over to Jeep from shopping another brand like the Chevy Colorado or even perhaps the new Ford Ranger, they are not going to be as amused or as tolerant. Jeep will have one very large PR task in front of it to convince a potential Colorado ZR2 buyer to consider a JT for the same or more money if we are talking about the typical Jeep build quality and equipment. And, second, where the heck are the "A" pillar bolts to mount driving lights? Looks like the aftermarket is going to have to get busy.

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Rubicon X, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 MINI Cooper
It's crazy how they can get the clouds to stay in the same position for the side by side shots!
And get the wheel spokes to stay in the same position too! :angel:

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C’mon guys, they’re professionals, whatever it takes, even if they have to move heaven & earth... or a wheel rim. ;)
Sponsored