Sponsored

JL vs JK Brakes

aro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I see the Z36 brake kit comes also with brake calipers. Are they any better than the stock ones?
Sponsored

WontonJLUR

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I see the Z36 brake kit comes also with brake calipers. Are they any better than the stock ones?
stock calipers and rotors are just fine (unless they're warped)

The only real upgrade would be to get a true big brake kit from a company like Alcon or Teraflex.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
You can get the kit with or without the calipers. Like @WhiteJLUS said, only the Alcons and Teraflex would have bigger and better calipers. The Power Stops would be a stock replacement type caliper, but are painted or powder coated red.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I appreciate everyone's opinions here. But, I'm going to give it a shot...death be damned. I'm 68 yrs old with over 2 million of life insurance just in case. I would hate for my 25 year old bride to go without. In fact, Candy has been extremely supportive of me doing my own brakes to the point of really pushing! God, I love her. My sweetie even brought me home something from Costco. I'm blessed.

Casket.png
If I were 68 and had 25 year old Candy, my hands wouldn't be on the brakes, they'd be on the throttle.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
If I were 68 and had 25 year old Candy, my hands wouldn't be on the brakes, they'd be on the throttle.
I totally missed the post about his 25 year old wife. Maybe he should hand the tools and have her do the brake job LOL.

Sponsored

SpecialK67

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport JL
I want to change my brake pads on my JL. First time I will be working on brakes in my life! (Please set up a GO Fund Me page for my future ex wife's support). There are lots of videos on the JK but none on the JL. Are they the same? Will I need the same tools? Should I prepay for a funeral?
I'm with ya

Joe jl

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara jl
Here's some pics of the brake components, I think these are the fronts, but the rears are essentially the same. These are from a Rubicon. I believe Sahara's have the same brakes. I disassembled both my front and rears due to them squealing and found the clips and rear of the pads were bone dry. After lubing the correct places with Sil-Glyde, they've been quiet.

The brake system is pretty easy to work on. To get the pads out of the caliper bracket, theres a spring clip you have to pull back (as seen in the second photo with a screwdriver). There's a clip at the top and bottom of each pad, so 4 clips per bracket. It's easiest to pull the top and bottom clip outwards together, which forces the pad to come out. When you reassemble the pads into the bracket, you put the ends of the pad into the flat part of the clips and then push it in until it's seated. Make sure the round part of the clip is sitting back flush against the pads.

Hit me up if you have any questions......I'm pretty experienced with brakes. I'll be swapping my stock stuff out for the PowerStop Z36 pads and rotors in a couple of weeks.

IMG_0018.jpg
IMG_0039.jpg

Here you can see the clips and hardware and dry. It appears there's some type of dry-lubricant coating on the hardware. It pretty much flaked off when I disassembled them.
IMG_0041.jpg
IMG_0045.jpg

These two hex head bolts need to be removed to remove the caliper bracket.
IMG_0046.jpg
IMG_0053.jpg

Everything is all lubricated properly.
IMG_0054.jpg
IMG_0055.jpg
this happened to my power stop clips. All of them! I’ve had probably 4-5 power stops on different jeeps.
Jeep Wrangler JL JL vs JK Brakes E859AEC9-72EB-4FE9-B3A5-75E68361232B

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
this happened to my power stop clips. All of them! I’ve had probably 4-5 power stops on different jeeps.
Jeep Wrangler JL JL vs JK Brakes E859AEC9-72EB-4FE9-B3A5-75E68361232B
Thanks for the info!

That's not a good sign of quality for the Power Stop hardware. I've had mine on for a couple thousand miles so far, but haven't had any need to check the brakes. They've been quiet and have provided better braking over stock. I'll make sure to check them out the next time I've got the wheels off.

Joe jl

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara jl
Thanks for the info!

That's not a good sign of quality for the Power Stop hardware. I've had mine on for a couple thousand miles so far, but haven't had any need to check the brakes. They've been quiet and have provided better braking over stock. I'll make sure to check them out the next time I've got the wheels off.
I’ve never had issues until this time. Only the inside clips broke. I’m ordering Mopar ones for my replacement kit power stop sent me today.

Sponsored

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Are ya'll doing powerstop instead of mopar because cheaper or seat of the pants better stopping power or both?

I ask because my perception on my 19 JLUR is the brakes are better than what was on the JKs. I'm running 37s and the brakes do really well. Wasn't the case on JKs and when I did the Dynatrac Pro Grip upgrade on my last one it was a significant improvement.

Joe jl

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara jl
Are ya'll doing powerstop instead of mopar because cheaper or seat of the pants better stopping power or both?

I ask because my perception on my 19 JLUR is the brakes are better than what was on the JKs. I'm running 37s and the brakes do really well. Wasn't the case on JKs and when I did the Dynatrac Pro Grip upgrade on my last one it was a significant improvement.
I wouldn’t say power stop are cheaper. Just way better stopping.

J Bozz

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Thanks for the info!

Did you Wash all the mess of of them & take an after picture???

Joe jl

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara jl
Did you Wash all the mess of of them & take an after picture???
Power stop support is awesome! They sent me new set up. I ordered the mopar spring clips and I’ll be swapping them out in next two weeks. Only my inside spring clips broke. I’m not sure what could of caused that. I have put power stop on 4-5 other vehicles and I’ve never had an issues. And I will continue to use them.
Sponsored