JL vs JK Brakes

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
I want to change my brake pads on my JL. First time I will be working on brakes in my life! (Please set up a GO Fund Me page for my future ex wife's support). There are lots of videos on the JK but none on the JL. Are they the same? Will I need the same tools? Should I prepay for a funeral?
Sponsored

Category5Bronado

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Do you already need to change your brakes? Just curious because I went 120,000 on my JK before needing to change them.

OP
OP
jeepdabest

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
I want to take them apart and take a look so I know what I'm doing before having to change them.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Here's some pics of the brake components, I think these are the fronts, but the rears are essentially the same. These are from a Rubicon. I believe Sahara's have the same brakes. I disassembled both my front and rears due to them squealing and found the clips and rear of the pads were bone dry. After lubing the correct places with Sil-Glyde, they've been quiet.

The brake system is pretty easy to work on. To get the pads out of the caliper bracket, theres a spring clip you have to pull back (as seen in the second photo with a screwdriver). There's a clip at the top and bottom of each pad, so 4 clips per bracket. It's easiest to pull the top and bottom clip outwards together, which forces the pad to come out. When you reassemble the pads into the bracket, you put the ends of the pad into the flat part of the clips and then push it in until it's seated. Make sure the round part of the clip is sitting back flush against the pads.

Hit me up if you have any questions......I'm pretty experienced with brakes. I'll be swapping my stock stuff out for the PowerStop Z36 pads and rotors in a couple of weeks.

Jeep Wrangler JL JL vs JK Brakes IMG_0018
Jeep Wrangler JL JL vs JK Brakes IMG_0039

Here you can see the clips and hardware and dry. It appears there's some type of dry-lubricant coating on the hardware. It pretty much flaked off when I disassembled them.
Jeep Wrangler JL JL vs JK Brakes IMG_0041
Jeep Wrangler JL JL vs JK Brakes IMG_0045

These two hex head bolts need to be removed to remove the caliper bracket.
Jeep Wrangler JL JL vs JK Brakes IMG_0046
Jeep Wrangler JL JL vs JK Brakes IMG_0053

Everything is all lubricated properly.
Jeep Wrangler JL JL vs JK Brakes IMG_0054
Jeep Wrangler JL JL vs JK Brakes IMG_0055

Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I want to change my brake pads on my JL. First time I will be working on brakes in my life! (Please set up a GO Fund Me page for my future ex wife's support). There are lots of videos on the JK but none on the JL. Are they the same? Will I need the same tools? Should I prepay for a funeral?
I don't remember the tool sizes, but they were metric. You'll need a socket for the slider pins (2 each) and a larger one for the caliper bracket bolts (2 each). The other tools are a torx bit to remove the rotor (1 bolt) and a way to compress the pistons (I use a 2x4 and large C clamp). When compressing the caliper pistons, make sure you remove the cap to the brake fluid reservoir and monitor it to ensure it doesn't overflow.

OP
OP
jeepdabest

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Here's some pics of the brake components, I think these are the fronts, but the rears are essentially the same. These are from a Rubicon. I believe Sahara's have the same brakes. I disassembled both my front and rears due to them squealing and found the clips and rear of the pads were bone dry. After lubing the correct places with Sil-Glyde, they've been quiet.

The brake system is pretty easy to work on. To get the pads out of the caliper bracket, theres a spring clip you have to pull back (as seen in the second photo with a screwdriver). There's a clip at the top and bottom of each pad, so 4 clips per bracket. It's easiest to pull the top and bottom clip outwards together, which forces the pad to come out. When you reassemble the pads into the bracket, you put the ends of the pad into the flat part of the clips and then push it in until it's seated. Make sure the round part of the clip is sitting back flush against the pads.

Hit me up if you have any questions......I'm pretty experienced with brakes. I'll be swapping my stock stuff out for the PowerStop Z36 pads and rotors in a couple of weeks.

Here you can see the clips and hardware and dry. It appears there's some type of dry-lubricant coating on the hardware. It pretty much flaked off when I disassembled them.

So VERY VERY thankful for your great reply! Are these like the JK's too?

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual

AS far as bleeding the brakes with anti lock brakes is there a there module u have use ?

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
AS far as bleeding the brakes with anti lock brakes is there a there module u have use ?
I bleed the JL ABS brakes the same as non-ABS. I start at the farthest brake away from the reservoir, which is the rear passenger. Then do rear driver, front passenger, and finish at front driver. I use some clear plastic tubing, a clean plastic bottle, and my son to pump the brakes.

Sponsored

Ruby Clatterbox

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 dr. Willy's
I think I'd just pull the wheel and look first. The pads and rotor are easy to see and judge if they need replacement.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
@jeepdabest , If it isnt broken, dont fix it. If you have never fixed brakes, or replaced brakes before, leave it to the professionals. Especially on newer vehicles. Especially if you plan on bleeding the brakes.
I've done this on about every car I have owned, and with as little as it costs, to have someone slap some new pads on, approx $200 or so for all 4 corners, it isn't worth the time and possible headaches you might incur.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase

I just took delivery of a full set of z36 pads and cross drilled and slotted rotors. I went through Rockauto. They have a bundle package for both pads and rotors and pads, rotors, and calipers. They were in stock and in my hands in under a week, using the cheapest shipping method. Parts, shipping, and tax totaled about $400. I'll be swapping them on the next nice day.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I just took delivery of a full set of z36 pads and cross drilled and slotted rotors. I went through Rockauto. They have a bundle package for both pads and rotors and pads, rotors, and calipers. They were in stock and in my hands in under a week, using the cheapest shipping method. Parts, shipping, and tax totaled about $400. I'll be swapping them on the next nice day.
Bought mine from @Northridge4x4 for about $368 with free shipping. When they were delivered, the box with the rear kit had obviously broken open. UPS threw everything (minus the hardware, which was missing) back into the box and taped it up. The rear rotors were no longer wrapped/protected and were damaged. Northridge contacted PowerStop, who shipped another kit out. I chose to not replace the calipers, mine still looked good, just wanted some increased "bite" on braking friction. The new Nitto Trail Grapplers are pretty heavy and I feel I'm at the edge of the effectiveness of the stock pads.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Bought mine from @Northridge4x4 for about $368 with free shipping. When they were delivered, the box with the rear kit had obviously broken open. UPS threw everything (minus the hardware, which was missing) back into the box and taped it up. The rear rotors were no longer wrapped/protected and were damaged. Northridge contacted PowerStop, who shipped another kit out. I chose to not replace the calipers, mine still looked good, just wanted some increased "bite" on braking friction. The new Nitto Trail Grapplers are pretty heavy and I feel I'm at the edge of the effectiveness of the stock pads.
Sorry to hear of the delay, but glad to hear that its being addressed. I didn't know Northridge carried them, otherwise I would've gotten there. Most of my parts have been through them, so I know how great they are to deal with.

I also didn't see the sense in switching the calipers, unless going with a bigger system than the Mopar big brake kit. More bite is right. I also got the lube with the hardware kits, so I'll massage the factory slide points before loading them.
Sponsored