Sponsored

JL versus JLU for Driving on the Beach

LifeisaBeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
First, my apologies for the novice questions. Secondly, I'm not looking to do any crazy beach driving, but rather tame driving on St. Augustine Beach. Also, I won't be doing any other off roading (I ascared <g>). Is there any noticeable performance difference between the JL and JLU for such driving? Is there a particular model I should be looking at? Any configurations or options that are must haves or should haves? Other recommendations?

I appreciate any and all feedback and recommendations.
Sponsored

kermitjewel

Threads
Reaction score
anywhere, but always flipping off moderators
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito,
(4dr rubicon) I drive up to three or four times a week on the beach nearby and have never had an issue, it is mostly hardpacked so i never airdown
Jeep Wrangler JL JL versus JLU for Driving on the Beach DSCN0387.JPG
while there; however at the sand dunes I air down to about 24 and all seems good there too. check local laws regarding whether you need a dune flag or not, maybe get a set of traction boards. An air compressor to re air would be a need also, so you have the option to air down. stay out of the salt water. wash down the undercarriage afterwards, i even drive through a creek near the exit to spray fresh water up and under before leaving the beach.

track.n.trail

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Software Engineer
No difference between the JL and JLU for this type of driving.

old schooler

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Sting Gray
Any concerns on saltwater corriding the drivetrain faster? Im thinking of driving by the beach too but the thought of saltwater corrision scares the bejeesus out of me..

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
I wouldn't think much difference. I have experience with my JLU on the sand and it's all been good.

I would think the extended wheelbase is actually a good thing for sand, but then again the lighter weight of a JL would also be good on the sand.

I wouldn't worry about the salt unless your jeep is gonna live on the beach for an extended amount of time. Just hose off the undercarriage after any trips if you want.

Sponsored

Timmyjoe

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport-S "Islander" (2-Door)
(4dr rubicon) I drive up to three or four times a week on the beach nearby and have never had an issue, it is mostly hardpacked so i never airdown
Jeep Wrangler JL JL versus JLU for Driving on the Beach DSCN0387.JPG
while there; however at the sand dunes I air down to about 24 and all seems good there too. check local laws regarding whether you need a dune flag or not, maybe get a set of traction boards. An air compressor to re air would be a need also, so you have the option to air down. stay out of the salt water. wash down the undercarriage afterwards, i even drive through a creek near the exit to spray fresh water up and under before leaving the beach.
Hey @kermitjewel, where are you located, and where is that beach in your Avatar and the image above. I am so jealous. Landlocked here in Illinois.

Best,
-Tim

kermitjewel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito,
Hey @kermitjewel, where are you located, and where is that beach in your Avatar and the image above. I am so jealous. Landlocked here in Illinois.

Best,
-Tim
Jeep Wrangler JL JL versus JLU for Driving on the Beach 20200406_124801

Southern Oregon Coast, that's the rock wall i was parked next to.

Last edited:

kermitjewel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito,
Any concerns on saltwater corriding the drivetrain faster? Im thinking of driving by the beach too but the thought of saltwater corrision scares the bejeesus out of me..
all good so far, 1 1/2 years on beach,

my friend gave me a can of FLUID FILM's powerful rust and corrosion protection last time I got an oil change at his tire store, said to put it on after my next cleaning (uses it on his boat he said)
extra protection cant hurt.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
The JL will be a little better due to weight. With that said both are overkill for beach driving so it doesn't really matter if the JL is slightly better.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
2dr will look cooler :like: :handsinair: :rock: :CWL::clap:
but less room for all the beach babes that will want to join you!
Sponsored