JL Trektop Ultra Obstructed View out back

SargeWiegand

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 4xe, 2020 Rubicon Recon
Anyone in the market for the Trektop Ultra should be aware that your view from the rearview mirror will be obstructed. I am tall 6'2" and the bottom half of my view is blocked. My wife who is pushing 5' on a good day cannot see out the rearview at all. To me this is something that should be disclosed prior to purchase. Had I known this I would not of purchased this particular top. With restocking fee this is an expensive lessen to learn.
Sponsored

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
The pictures on Bestop’s website show it sitting higher than the spare. Not sure what other info would be needed.

OP
OP
SargeWiegand

SargeWiegand

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The pictures on Bestop’s website show it sitting higher than the spare. Not sure what other info would be needed.
That photo is at an odd angle to see that, the tires or at least the wheels are aftermarket. Regardless I did not sit there and study the photo thinking that something would be built to block my view. I just wanted to provide a simple heads up for those who may be looking at purchasing this top as it is a premium price.

Ohio Hiker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS Billet Silver
Occupation
Computer nerd / Retired US Air Force
That photo is at an odd angle to see that, the tires or at least the wheels are aftermarket. Regardless I did not sit there and study the photo thinking that something would be built to block my view. I just wanted to provide a simple heads up for those who may be looking at purchasing this top as it is a premium price.
Too bad you didn't take a POV picture so we all could've seen the actual view.

Sponsored

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
I assume you mean when it’s folded all the way down? The OEM top blocks most of the view also.

OP
OP
SargeWiegand

SargeWiegand

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I assume you mean when it’s folded all the way down? The OEM top blocks most of the view also.
I have the premium soft top and it is not blocked for me. I do tuck it down and put on the side straps though so that may help.

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
I have the premium soft top and it is not blocked for me. I do tuck it down and put on the side straps though so that may help.
2 door or 4 door? Seems like the 4 doors I have seen go lower than my 2 door.

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Here’s a shot of mine. It’s well above the spare.

282D51F2-F6C5-42AB-AA29-5C9532FB7262.jpeg

Sponsored

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Regardless I did not sit there and study the photo thinking that something would be built to block my view.
Any top that folds all the way back will inherently block the majority of the rearview mirror. It wasn’t “built to block (your) view.” It’s the nature of the beast.

OP
OP
SargeWiegand

SargeWiegand

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any top that folds all the way back will inherently block the majority of the rearview mirror. It wasn’t “built to block (your) view.” It’s the nature of the beast.
Not sure why you are so adamant about defending this top, or discrediting my point of view. My TJ does not block the view, my JL sits a bit lower than the back brake light. Neither block the view to the level that this top does. It was so noticeable that my first thought was I must of installed it wrong. Once I verified everything was operationally correct I called and verified it does sit higher. Bestop point of view is like yours, yes it blocks "it's the nature of the beast". I like to be an informed consumer of a product I purchase, 99% of people may not care but to the 1% that do its worth knowing. Looks wise its a great top and I wanted it to work, but it just didn't for me.

zscooby

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU white Rubicon, 2019 BMW R1250GSA 2019 Honda Talon 1000x
it does block your view, but you can definitely see in the pictures, it did. I love my top, it looks great as well.
Sponsored