JL transmission + axle tech question Sahara/Rubicon

Euro JEEP

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
Happy New Year to all Jeep Fans out there! WAVE!

I would like someone to explain if the Sahara Selec-Trac transmission in full time 4x4 would be compatible with axle lockers? Or why the Rubicon couldn't have a combination of the axle lockers with limited slip diffs instead open ones?

Reason why is that transmission of the Sahara with the Selec-Trac in full time 4x4 looks ideal for driving on the snow/heavy rain, but it doesn't have the lockers in the smaller than the Rubicon axles... for the more serious off-road stuff. Does this Selec-Trac come with a central differential? I thought reading somewhere it was a clutch based system?
The Rubicon has the bigger axles and open or locked diffs (no limited slip), but the Rock-Trac transmission doesn't have the full time 4x4 option. Appart for the better ratio.
It seems like a combination would be the ideal transmission? How do other brands do it?
Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Happy New Year to all Jeep Fans out there! WAVE!

I would like someone to explain if the Sahara Selec-Trac transmission in full time 4x4 would be compatible with axle lockers? Or why the Rubicon couldn't have a combination of the axle lockers with limited slip diffs instead open ones?

Reason why is that transmission of the Sahara with the Selec-Trac in full time 4x4 looks ideal for driving on the snow/heavy rain, but it doesn't have the lockers in the smaller than the Rubicon axles... for the more serious off-road stuff. Does this Selec-Trac come with a central differential? I thought reading somewhere it was a clutch based system?
The Rubicon has the bigger axles and open or locked diffs (no limited slip), but the Rock-Trac transmission doesn't have the full time 4x4 option. Appart for the better ratio.
It seems like a combination would be the ideal transmission? How do other brands do it?
This topic has been beaten to death, already.

TL;DR - wait for a special edition to marry Rubi looks with Sahara drivetrain. Otherwise, pick the one you like better.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-spin-differential-rear-axle-vs-rubicon.2575/

chcg12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
The topic has been covered..however although I know its not a current offering I have the exact same question- Can the Sahara Selec-Trac transmission in full time 4x4 be compatible with axle lockers? Can the Rubicon have a combination of the axle lockers with limited slip diffs instead of open ones? Thanks

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
Can the Rubicon have a combination of the axle lockers with limited slip diffs instead of open ones?
My 2005 Rubicon has both. There should be no reason you can't add limited slip to your rear diff, but I'd find a local shop who'll do it so you can get a definitive answer before you make a final decision. Finding a good rear end shop can be quite challenging.

2stoned

First Name
Sten
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sj413, sx4
I have seen someone claim that the (Europe) export version of the Rubicon will have the Selec-trac (gearing unknown).
This is supposed to be to comply with with braking requirements that can not be met with part time 4wd.
I doubt they would sell a Rubicon without lockers.
Just wish the lockers would have been LSD with lock option.

Sponsored

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
My understanding is that the select Trac has a 2 high, 4 auto, 4 high, and 4 low. Where the 4 auto mode is jumping between 2h and 4h when the Jeep thinks it is right. Probably basing that section on some form of slip detection.

The transfer case in the Rubicon just have 2h, 4h, 4l same as the command Trac but with a different low gear. And there is no feedback to the transfer case to tell it what to do.

My guess seeing as the Sahara had a lady option the select Trac is smart enough to know what to do with that. So an after market lsd should be fine. Selectable lockers would also be fine as you should be running those open on the road. Fill time lockers or spools could cause the stability control systems to freak out on road condition but that is a wait and see kind of thing. Of road conditions I would run the select Trac in a dedicated mode of I had selectable lockers as you most likey will be in 4l anyways.

The Mad Duck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Dodge Nitro R/T 4X4 (My Fake Jeep), 2010 Dodge Journey R/T, 1962 Imperial
My 2005 Rubicon has both. There should be no reason you can't add limited slip to your rear diff, but I'd find a local shop who'll do it so you can get a definitive answer before you make a final decision. Finding a good rear end shop can be quite challenging.
Yes You Could Do It.
But the Computer Nanny Might have a Nervous Break Down !
Would the Software be Able to Put Up With It ? ? ?

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
Yes You Could Do It.
But the Computer Nanny Might have a Nervous Break Down !
Would the Software be Able to Put Up With It ? ? ?
I doubt there'd be a problem. The only conflict I can see would be BLD, but it just tracks slippage, so if you're successfully (mechanically) limiting the slippage with LSD, then BLD wouldn't kick in.

OP
OP
Euro JEEP

Euro JEEP

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
I have seen someone claim that the (Europe) export version of the Rubicon will have the Selec-trac (gearing unknown).
This is supposed to be to comply with with braking requirements that can not be met with part time 4wd.
I doubt they would sell a Rubicon without lockers.
Just wish the lockers would have been LSD with lock option.
That would be a real disappointment...
If they can only homologate the selec-trac in Europe I hope they at least offer a Rubicon with some lockers on it. Curious about the axles then... doesn't look good as we saw Rubicon test mules with low fenders. My guess one goes with the other.
The Rubicon axles do show up in the mopar parts catalogue, I wonder if those are compatible with the selec-trac.

To Jeep: please don't offer a totally detuned Rubicon in Europe.

OP
OP
Euro JEEP

Euro JEEP

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
Or may Europe get a Selec-Trac in the Rubicon with the Rubicon gearing?! Is that feasible?

kurt13

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red JLU Rubi/4Runner
If they can only homologate the selec-trac in Europe I hope they at least offer a Rubicon with some lockers on it.
Dude in Spain is teaching me new words in my native language. I really should have paid more attention in school...
Sponsored